X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Friendly Computer Monitors

Ha, ha! Does that exist?

I am looking for a computer monitor to plug into my macbook. For some reason, my mac laptop screen really bothers my eyes.

Does anybody have a computer monitor they find to be a bit easier on their eyes??

Thanks!

MDE

Anyone have a tip for this?? Thanks.

Comment

I dont think its so much the monitor, but rather what you do with it that counts.
      I'm writing this on a dual monitor setup currently with different screens.

I dont know about macs but I've hacked windows and altered individual programs and their skins to change the colours .
      For instance I write light grey text on a black screen which helps with my light sensitivity.

Again in windows I can adjust the graphics card settings to make things darker. And then there are further settings on the monitor itself.

This is still typically too bright for me so I wear my sunglasses in a darkened room.

Even then I can only manage small doses on the pc - and unfortunately very limited time on the exceedingly bright colour scheme of these forums.

So there are things you can do... to an extent... its just a matter of playing around with all the settings.

Good luck.

Comment

Monitor settings

I recently discovered that I had made a silly mistake with my monitor setting. I had chosen a "visually impaired" setting and then forgotten about it. My poor eyes did not like the high contrast scheme. After a reset. things are much better - and dimmer!

Several months back I thought makeup was bothering my eyes since I always had trouble after applying it. Fluorescent lights really bother me and I finally realized that the fluorescent lights on my makeup mirror were the problem. Fortunately I have one of the old style mirrors with day/night/ office modes. Using the mode with the pink filter helped enormously.

Comment

I have great success with large monitors (> 24 inch) With large monitors I can enlarge the complete windows configuration (dpi 160 %) and then my eyes aren't so stressed during computer work. I also take a grey background and reduce the brightness of my monitor to 0%.
          With this configuration I have to scroll a lot (and my collegues are always astounded when they look at my screen with the large fonts), but for me it's a quite good way to get to grips with computer work for 8-10 hours a day.
          Hope that helps.
          Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

Some comments (which you can take with a grain of salt :

Some people are getting relief using projectors. Note LED projectors last much longer. As of last year, LG produced the best rated "relatively inexpensive" LED projector, but not sure it's yet available in U.S. The other LED projector is by Samsung, but I personally avoid Samsung products on principle, ever since both their LCD monitor and terribly designed laser printer half killed me.

Also mentioned as tolerable to sensitives were:

Some older thinkpads (with lower maximum nits/lumens)

Sony Trinitron (but that probably weighs a ton)

Older military shielded LCD monitors (search posts on eSens yahoo group). The problem is, that the jerks of our lovely gov't banned lead, so they de-legalized sales of those monitors. Never mind that they were actually healthier than the current epoxy-emitting junk spawned in the far east.

I'd say there's probably a larger percentage of large-screen LCDs which are intolerable than smaller screens. So the optimal size may be 15.6" with maximum choice being 17" & no larger.

Some tolerable brands may be BenQ, Toshiba, Sony.
            But it's still VERY iffy.

I personally would avoid LED monitors since they're MUCH brighter - as per a techie I met at Walmart recently.
            As for WXGA vs. WUXGA, there's mixed messages whether WXGA is more tolerable.
            There's also mixed messages re: Flexview vs. non-flexview.
            There's mixed messages about both, so to be on the safe side, I'd stick to WXGA, non-flexview.
            But non-reflective truebright may be preferred.

P.S. I don't have personal experience with any of these (not wuxga, nor flexview, nor truebright) so can't personally attest regarding them.
            CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X