X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work: in need of advice

Hi everyone,

Okay, so after one whole year of unemployment (I'm 24), I finally managed to find a new job. But that's not what I expected: I was looking for an outdoor job so that I could protect as much as possible my eyes. Because, I must be a lucky one compared to some people on this forum, but when I'm at home, or outside (if it's not too windy or cold), my eyes are almost okay: I rarely need drops though cold compresses few times a day do help. That's when it comes to staying in an office where things become funny: I can't stand (bear?) it. I've tried twice, in my two previous jobs: I was working all day long on the computer, with artificial lights and climatisation. That was dreadfull. A real nightmare and the two worst periods in my life so far.

And today, I received an agreement for a 6 months contract for a job which is in addition really well paid, but conditions will be terrible for my eyes. I've seen it during my appointment: tough climatisation in the office, loads of neons as light source, and a job requiring to stay all day long on a computer. So I'm lost. I don't want to accept it. I'm not lazzy, I'd like to work, really, but not in these conditions. I've applied for other jobs, but that's the only one I got, and after one whole year jobless, that would be numbed not to accept such an opportunity. I can't ask advice from my familly, they wouldn't understand why I'm even thinking and wondering of what to do. They just don't understand what I will have to bear if I'm working there.

So here I am, trying to make the good choice, for a job I'll be glad to do (and for a high salary I've never been offered before!), but that I know I can't do for long. I can last one month maybe, at the best, but what about the pain I'll have to endure? Such a shame, when in a normal life I should be partying and celebrating now for such an opportunity.

I'm not complaining, I just want advice from people that can understand the whole thing
    Hey, nobody said life would be easy right? Please mum, next time you give birth to me, spend more time on the conception of my eyes, okay?

Originally posted by cityhunter62 View Post
    Hi everyone,

And today, I received an agreement for a 6 months contract for a job which is in addition really well paid, but conditions will be terrible for my eyes. I've seen it during my appointment: tough climatisation in the office, loads of neons as light source, and a job requiring to stay all day long on a computer.

I'm not complaining, I just want advice from people that can understand the whole thing
    First I will say well done on getting the job.

Is it possible to discuss (with your employer) any modifications to your environment?

Complain away to us - we would all understand .

Comment

I'm not familiar with the source of your problems or just how well you can fit into any situation.
      I'm desperate to get back into work, so for the sake of your sanity I'd suggest you give it a go.

There are things you can do like
      - find a dark corner of the office and remove the strip light /starter switch from above your head.
      - get a desktop humidifier
      - get onion goggle style glasses to create 'moisture chambers'
      - See if you can get a room to yourself where you can turn off any heating or air con.
      - remember good practice for using a computer (blink, take frequent breaks, darken monitor and adjust colours and sizes of applications and fonts.

I'm sorry if these suggestions are all too simplistic.
      They certainly dont work for me, but its worthwhile checking you have the basics right, and they do work for some people.

Good luck and congratulations!

Comment

Working and Dry Eye

Check out my post on Dry Eye and Working on the Computer All Day, and also read what I've written about Omega 3. Both of those will help you.

Good luck

Comment

I hear you about the office/work environment being hard on the eyes. I work in a research lab at a university and every day I come to work my eyes become extremely bloodshot and when I leave they're better...until the next day. I have my humidifier on full blast and it says the humidity is only 31%.

I completely agree with all of Tempestuous' suggestions. Couldn't have said it better myself!

I've also found really great comfort using Lacriserts lately. The constant lubrication and moistness hves really helped my comfort...although my eyes are still very red.

Take the job and see how it goes. You'll never know if you can make it work until you try!

Comment

Working...
          X