X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for part time job advice!

Hi everyone,

After not working for over a year due to horrific eye pain...and now other health problems, I am starting to run out of money and need a part time job.

I want to apply for an administrative assistant position that is very flexible (yay!), but they want to know exactly in the application why I am seeking a part time job and what occupies my other time (i.e. being a mom, student, retirement, etc). I have no idea how to answer this as I do not think it is a good idea to let any potential employer know that I am dealing with health problems....but I do not know how else to answer it.

Any advice? Thanks!

The `interests' or `additional information' section of an application can offer a window to your personality. Having said that, it must add or relate to the skills and qualifications to do the job. Don't add to make it interesting, add to make it relevant. Your application has to encourage prospective employers to choose you for an interview, so self-promotion is essential

Given that the recession is so tough in so many sectors, employers tend to be more 'forgiving' of gaps in work history. With illness, I would think very hard about stating this at the application stage because employers might think that you are not 100% up to the job. If you have to complete a medical questionnaire, then give just brief details.

You describe the advertised job as being flexible - so I assume the employer is seeking evidence of flexibility in the applicants. Family responsibilities, study etc are all relevant contexts to cite.

Comment

Working...
    X