This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Brightness and Color Temperature

I decided to post this a second time in the section of the forum since it is an important issue for some people. I'm suppose to post a link to my original post, but it was a short post and this prevents all the hopping around.

Computer Monitors and Brightness

Some people experience eye strain due to the brightness or color temperature of their monitors. Eye strain contributes to a variety of eye problems including dry eye and computer vision syndrome.

I decided to try a program called F.Lux that automatically adjusts the color temperature and brightness of my monitors according to the time of day. There are studies that have concluded sleep quality is impacted by the brightness and color temperature of computer monitors and other devices that people use right before going to bed. And, in addition to impacting sleep, brightness and color temperature contribute to eye strain also.

I run multiple monitors and I work two hours at a time during various parts of the day including from 10 pm to 12 pm at night. Occasionally, I will work until 2:00 am but not that often lately. I usually start working around 9:00 am, stop around 11:00 start again at 12:00 work until 2:00 stop until 3:30 or 4:00 and then work again until 6:00. So I use the computer through a variety of time frames.

F.Lux is simple to use. Here are two links. One is the download site and the other one is a review that explains the software.

http://appaholic.co.uk/2009/08/03/fl...ower-of-light/
    (//appaholic.co.uk/2009/08/03/flux-helping-you-sleep-better-with-the-power-of-light/)

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

Once F.Lux is installed there is a small icon in the systems tray (Win XP etc Mac Version available) that opens the F.Lux window. There is a sine wave with a ball. Below the sine wave is the longitude and latitude of your location, which you can change. And then there is the change settings window. If you click on the ball it will move your monitor through a full 24 hour cycle of changes.

You are not going to like the changes the first time you go through them. You will not have seen your monitor with these temperature settings so they will look strange. In addition, the demonstration is taking place at one time of day. It will take a few days to get used to the changes.

After a week or so of using the program and adjusting to it, you can change the amount of color variation by using the change settings window. However, if you reduce the variation between night and day too much, most of the benefits will be lost.

I just starting using the program so I won't comment on how it impacts my eye strain yet. So far it looks promising, but it takes me several weeks to fully evaluate changes and their impact. I will update later when I have more experience with it.

This is a novel program that works pretty well. Like all computer programs, you may have some problems with it. I can't solve those, so create a new systems restore point in case you need to un-install it. There is a list of FAQ's on their website.

I hope this helps some of you while using your computers. I didn't see a charge for the program, so I believe it's free!
    Last edited by jackolso; 20-Jan-2011, 16:45.

wow, Jack, thank you. I downloaded this immediately after reading your post. I love it! It's midnight here and my eyes were really feeling the glare from the screen. As soon as this program started and changed the color of my screen, I could feel my eyes relax. It just felt like the tightness and pain from the glare left them. ahhhhh.....

Comment

This has really helped

I started using this about 3 weeks ago and it makes a huge difference in my tolerance for using my computer. It takes a little getting used to but I absolutely love it.
      If you have problems with the glare from screen, give it a try.

Comment

Thank you so much for this Jackolso! I downloaded it a few days ago and the difference is incredible. I had to disable it for a few moments yesterday and my eyes reacted instantly to the extra glare. The display settings on most laptops are very limited so it's great to have a programme like this available.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who spends any amount of time on a computer.
        The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Suil, It is shocking isn't it when you go back to the original. It makes me wonder how I ever looked at the screen for any length of time at all before. I am a very enthusiastic user of this program now

Comment

This is a really neat tool. I really appreciate the tip - thanks much. I have installed it and am getting used to it. The difference is astonishing... as the others have said going back to 'normal' is a shock! I just hit the "disable for an hour" link and yowch! The screen is suddenly painfully blue-white.

Jack - just an FYI about how the topical forums work: The ARCHIVE forums are a sort of filing system. All threads on specific topics like this are filed here when they drop off the first page or two of threads in the Open Forum (so we ended up with a duplicate and I have removed one). New threads should always go in the Open Forum or other community forums (not archives) and our moderators will ensure that it eventually gets into the topical archive section it belongs in.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X