This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Software Helps Me Read Text Easier

I just replaced my 5 year old Dell XPS system with a custom one. In the process I changed my monitors to two NEC 19 inch high resolution screens. I don't like high res screens because the text is thinner and harder for me to read.

It's especially difficult on the internet when I have very little control over what is on the screen.

As I said in my previous post, I installed F Lux to control the screen colors and brightness. That has helped.

I use Firefox 4 and not IE8 or 9. I found a plug in for FireFox 4 called No Squint. It puts a small 110% figure in the bottom right corner of the screen. When I click on it, the screen that first comes up allows me to adjust the size of the entire page or just the size of text. Not only does it make the text bigger but as it gets larger, it gets blacker making it easier to read. I can also use Text and Background to force blacker text, but that also changes all the text every where. Backgrounds can be changed also.

Each internet page has to be adjusted and the program remembers the adjustments for that page.

At the bottom there's a tab called Global Settings which allows a user to adjust the zoom, etc for every page at the same time. I've tried using it both ways and I prefer to customize each web page separately.

I used the windows display adjusts to make the standard text box fonts darker, but that doesn't do anything for the text in the screen. No Squint does.

It only works on FireFox, not IE and not on programs like Word. Those can be adjusted inside of them.

No Squint has made using my high res monitors much easier and less eye stressful. For example, on Dry Talk Forum without No Squint I can barely read the text because at 1280 x 1024, text is very thin. I set the No Squint to Full Zoom 110% and Text Zoom to 125% with no color adjustments and I can read the screen great.

No Squint is on the Firefox addon site. Just put it in the search box.

So far I've found three things other than my supplements which have helped. Superfocus glasses, F-Lux and now No Squint. Once you try these you won't go back.

PS Day 4 update: The more I use this software, the more I love it. It sure makes reading webpages with lots of text easier on my eyes. I forgot to mention that FireFox, No Squint and F lux are free. Superfocus glasses aren't free sorry to say. Firefox runs on MAC's also but I don't know if No Squint will. It should, but I don't have a MAC.

One thing I've learned is to keep the Global Settings default page zoom set to 100%. If it's set higher it distorts some web pages. I use the text zoom to change the darkness and size of the text. I usually set it separately for each web page that I typically read much on.
    Last edited by jackolso; 15-Apr-2011, 11:40.
Working...
X