X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - 10 + years, dry eye patient

Greetings everyone,

I've been suffering from the complication that is dry eyes ever since I was in high-school. I've graduated from university recently and am now working at a full-time job in-front of a computer (I know, bad...). I've come to this forum to seek advice and gain wisdom from those who are experiencing what I've been through.

My eyes were bloodshot throughout my academia years and would get irritated at the slightest aggravation such as wind, excessive sugar, etc... Over the past years I've gone to an opthamologist who has been prescribing me a ton of eye drops like Prednisolone, Restasis, Tobradex, the list goes on. I think it was only a few years ago that I noticed I had noticeable ulcer developing on my left eye ... my doctors made note of it and told me to keep my routine.

Here is an example picture: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LMdPu119Vc...rnealUlcer.jpg

It is getting bigger and bigger and am scared that I will lose sight of my vision. I've scheduled an appointment with the doctor who performed my lower-eyelid blepharoplasty which reduced the exposure of my eyeballs (but even that was botched up ... with my left lower-eyelid corner upturned-showing flesh).

The wait-time here in Canada is long. I feel like no one knows how to treat my condition and feel like my condition is getting worse from improper treatments. On top of that I find it difficult to purchase Bion Tear preservative free vials on an ongoing basis due to the price.

How does everyone manage here?!? I feel like losing hope.

Sincerely,

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I don't know much about the ulcer thing, but I do a lot of work on the computer. I would recommend getting a pair of WileyX Climate Control Series sunglasses and wearing them while you are at work. Everyone will want to ask you questions about it, but it will help control the pain. Also I had silicon punctal plugs put in all four of my tear ducts. That helped to limit the redness I am experiencing. Hope this helps, and keep us updated
    2 Cor. 12:8-10

Comment

re: difficulty purchasing Bion Tears due to price - last I checked, here where I live, Costco sells them very cheap compared to anywhere else... the savings on the drops might cover the membership... maybe call a local Costco pharmacy to find out their selling price...

Also, check with your pharmacy whether or not Bion Tears can be covered by your government drug plan... you may be told no at first, but ask if there are ways to get meds that are normally not covered to BE covered... here in my province we have such a system, so mine are covered (after I reach my deductible)... my doctor had to apply for an exception, but we got it! The other thing, is some insurance plans will pay for OTC artificial tears if you can first get them covered by your provincial drug plan (ex. Blue Cross)... check with your private drug plan to see...

Comment

Working...
      X