This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work and dry eyes??

I am starting a job next Monday, and am scared to death on how my eyes are going to hold up. 45+ hours a week in an office working on a computer is really going to be tough.

I am curious how many people on here work in an office with a computer all day long?

re: work and dry eyes

Hi,

I have dry eyes - I use an anti-glare screen always for computers, and, with the anti-glare screen, the computer screen does not contribute to my dry eyes. if you don't have an anti-glare screen, many office supply stores - i.e. Staples, OfficeMax, CompUSA, etc carry them for monitors of varying sizes

apparently, the anti-glare screen cuts down a bit on the amount of light reflected off of the screen and into your eyes - so, unless you're a graphic designer, the reduction in screen brightness won't hinder you if you're just using Microsoft Word or Excel

hope that helps,

Scott

Comment

You might need to try light adjustments to help you see the screen better. Also, having a desk away from a vent is a must. If it happens, you might request they close the vent. I used to have the fluorescent light directly above my head removed and it helped. There was a panel of about 8 lights above my seating and the one directly above my head/computer needed to be gone.

Keep drops in your pocket for handy use. Be sure and blink, blink, blink. Take frequent breaks and rest your eyes. Go somewhere quiet and put in drops and keep your eyes closed for 10-15 minutes. Your car will work if nowhere else is available. The mens room if they have a lounge where you can close your eyes. It might help to wipe your lids off during the day with a damp, clean tissue. Good luck and we'll hope you do just fine. Anything new is always intimidating. Don't be scared, you have all of us to cheer you on.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

What she said!

You're gonna do great! Remember to drink lots of water - especially if you're also drinking lots of coffee. Take little breaks away from the computer. Use blinkers. Close your eyes while on the phone if you can. If your work environment & budget permit, get some Panoptx - even if you can't wear them much, they may be a help to have around for some short times when you can slip them on to give your eyes a little boost. I also keep my monitor low, lift my chin and kind of look down my nose at it (reduces surface exposure) rather than staring straight at it
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Nick,

I recall a "tip of the day" a long time back suggesting that you place your monitor lower on your desk so you are actually looking down at it. This would keep your lids closed over much of your eye and would reduce exposure of your eye. If I were working in an office, I would most definitely give this a try.

Also, do you wear glasses? Regardless of your vision, wearing a pair of glasses (plano or other) might be helpful in protecting your eyes.

Best of luck to you. I know starting your job is intimidating, but you'll find a way to make it work.

D
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I work in an office with a computer all day long, then work at home on the computer well into the evening most days. I have had to make some modifications to how I do things. I use an anti-glare screen. At work, I asked the building management to re-direct the vent overhead, so the air blows away from me. That was a huge help. There was also a light above me that was causing glare, I asked that the bulb be removed/loosened so the light is now off.
            I now take frequent breaks, every 15 to 20 minutes, and use drops frequently. I also drink lots of water. If my eyes hurt, I find another task to do (like filing, taking an office supply inventory of my desk, etc) until they calm down enough to return to work. I make sure I take all my breaks as well. Good luck to you!
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

If all else fails, try goggles. They create a moist micro-environment around your eyes. You'll look dorky as hell but....

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! I wear wrap around sunglasses at work when my eyes are flaring really bad. Goggles are a good idea! Also try a small humidifier in your cubicle/work space.
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi untkicker29,

I bought a floor lamp from Wal-Mart and brought it into my office. I don't use the overhead fluorescent lighting at all. My floor lamp is behind me and in the opposite corner of my office. This seems to really help (there is also not a glare on my computer screen due to the location of the floor lamp). This is one thing you can do without really being noticed because there are many other people in my office that have done the same thing. Several people offered you very helpful tips. I had our building supervisor cover my entire air conditioner vent and that was another excellent move.

Best of luck in your new endeavor. You will do GREAT!!

Comment

Try SmartBreak. It reminds to blink, plus locks the terminal for some time

Try this BreakReminder app.
                    It not only reminds to blink, but also locks the terminal for some time forcing us to relax for a while.
                    Had i used this earlier, i wouldn't have had DryEyes in the first place.
                    Its available at http://www.inchwest.com/smartbreak.aspx,

Key Features:
                    * Intelligent breaks based on the amount of work you do
                    * Ability to lock the display and enforce breaks
                    * Play background music during breaks
                    * Micro pause feature to suggest micro breaks
                    * On screen alerts
                    * Child-lock feature to ensure that kids can’t disable SmartBreak
                    * Designed for Windows Vista
                    * Works even when you are inside a virtual machine or on a remote desktop

Comment

I love the blinkers and the tip on closing your eyes when on the phone
                      just keep swimming...

Comment

Working...
                      X