This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youth entering work tract...?

nxt year my university will sent me to work practice in a company...and.....
    as i can't stand hypermarket air conditioner, which make my eye terribly dry and red.... i would appreciate to know how

the youngs around here succeeded in the work tract??

how did they cope with dryeye?

with this stresfull airconditioner, computer etc atmosphere?
    didn't their eye deteriorate in the longrun due to these(deteriorate: more redness, more dry etc..)?

i really hope i can adapt bcoz, if i can't cope with this small work experience, ...then i will be so discourage for my long term working days...

and for those who are already working....don't the airconditioner in the office harass u ? how do u cope wit it? a work demand an average of 8hours! so it will be 8hours of airconditioner and stress
    If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Originally posted by Mikastef
    nxt year my university will sent me to work practice in a company...and.....
    as i can't stand hypermarket air conditioner, which make my eye terribly dry and red.... i would appreciate to know how

the youngs around here succeeded in the work tract??

how did they cope with dryeye?

with this stresfull airconditioner, computer etc atmosphere?
    didn't their eye deteriorate in the longrun due to these(deteriorate: more redness, more dry etc..)?
    Of course, what you're talking about here can be QUITE a challenge. Unfortunately, if your DES is bad enough, there probably WILL be limits as to what you can do--the environment in which you can work, how many hours of sustained reading or computer time you can clock, etc., etc.

Some rather practical thoughts:

As much as I say it's dangerous to try to predict the future, I always tend to HOPE for the best, but PLAN for the worst. What I mean is: if you are concerned that a work-practice (internship) will be tough on your eyes, maybe those are not the kinds of jobs you should be considering--long-term OR short.

Think about the physical and working environments that do the LEAST amount of harm to your eyes. What kind of work could you do in that sort of environment? For example: I could NEVER work in a shopping mall, hypermarket, or home builders store. No way. Maybe a seaside resort (lots of them in Mauritius, no?) where you're NOT stuck in an air-conditioned office all day.

Then think about the treatment options that have worked best for you. Integrating them into your working routine (using drops every hour, taking VERY frequent breaks when reading or using computers, having some opportunity to close your eyes periodically for a few minutes, shorter-than-average work day, having access to a microwave if heating up a corn bag helps your MGD ... things like this).

It's difficult to go into a new job already talking about what YOU might need because of YOUR limitations, BUT .... it might be easier than having to quit the job because the demands on your eyeballs are too high.

Besides, in my experience, a company that can't accommodate the simple things even a little ... isn't likely to be a good company to work for in the long run.

Don't forget things like humidifiers, tight-fitting goggles, supplements, punctal plugs -- some of the relatively easy things to manage in the workplace.

i really hope i can adapt bcoz, if i can't cope with this small work experience, ...then i will be so discourage for my long term working days...
    I think most of us will understand THAT sentiment.....

and for those who are already working....don't the airconditioner in the office harass u ? how do u cope wit it? a work demand an average of 8hours! so it will be 8hours of airconditioner and stress
    I have to imagine that there are simply some people--myself included--that CAN'T manage that. I can't normally manage 15 minutes in the supermarket! In your case, maybe--just maybe--all of the best treatment options that you've tried along the way, coupled with common sense things like resting your eyes, taking walks, limiting anything that induces staring (without blinking enough ... like reading, computers, or driving), etc., MAY just let you get by.

As I said: for many of us, these eye problems WILL impose limitations. There could be a slight benefit to learning something about your situation NOW ... before you get so far down the path of a career that changing jobs is only MORE difficult.

All the best,
    Neil

Comment

I had to ask (with a dr's request in writing) that my desk be switched to one that was not under a a/c vent. They thought I was just screwing around and being fussy until I brought the drs note.

They didn't like it either when I asked for the fluorescent light above my desk be unplugged. It reflected directly into my eyes and on my computer screen. They did as I requested without a doctor's request that time. The janitor's at night would have fits, coming in the office and immediately wanting to "replace" the burnt out bulb. Finally, they put a note in the light that was visible to LEAVE IT ALONE AND LEAVE IT OUT.

Best to request these accommodations quietly, politely and privately. Usually this will work. If you are ignored, then it's time for the doctor's note.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

There are several more tips shared in this recent thread started by another member headed out to work:
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Kind of job?

ok thx guys....
          but now, i wanna ask something else:

so, anyone around here, who works, could u tell us/me wat kind of jobs u do which DON'T provide stress on dryeye patients? i mean....wat jobs are ok for us.......the job name, i mean.......i could therefore know approximately wat job i can undertake later on...
          If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Working...
          X