X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Friendly Jobs

Hi Everyone,

I think that I may have to quit my job...my very first real job...and it's kind of making me sick to my stomach =(

But, I'm trying to tell myself that its only temporary, until my eyes get better. In the meantime, can you lovely people please suggest some dry eye friendly jobs I may do?

Thank you!

What do you do now and can you explain some of the barriers you are having now? I would think a computer job would be bad,one in extreme weather conditions outside,a lot of reading would not be good. What are some of your interests and training?I am sorry you have to face this

Comment

I currently do research in a laboratory, where the air is dry, and there is a lot of air movement with the vents, a/c, and lots of equipment that I guess lets out dry air? There is a row of freezers I cannot avoid to get to my bench and it is horrible walking by there, with menthol sensation. And it is an open lab space with about 80 people in it all running their own experiments, so probably tons of chemicals in the air that probably make my dry eyes worse. Fortunately, I don't do too much computer work, and I would like to avoid it.

So in terms of barriers: any air movement, computer work, and low humidity, and long work hours. I know these barriers will eliminate many kinds of jobs...

I have a very high myope, so still in the process of trying to find someone in my area that can make custom moisture chambers.

In terms of education, I have a b.s. in biology, graduated in 2006.

For now, I was wondering if there are any jobs that I can do from home and are flexible? Because even if it involves a moderate amount of computer work, I think I can handle it if I'm at home and have full control of my schedule and environment. I was also thinking of maybe teaching, since I can control the environment in my classroom?

Thanks Gina!

Comment

i would not care about what people think and just use a nice pair of goggles...

Comment

Mailman/woman, that way you can wear your sunglasses and keep the moisture in, or work from home jobs(cold calling, babysitting, tudoring), landscapping(again you can wear your glasses in keep moisture in). These suggestions are to try an avoid the corporate AC environment. Since you are in a lab - it would not be out of the ordinary to wear saftey glasses,

Something like this would be ideal to control air movement,

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

or,

http://www.prosafetyequipment.com/s/safety-glasses.aspx

or,

http://www.rx-safety.com/Riders-Eyewear/index.htm
          Last edited by Plat; 25-Aug-2008, 18:25.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I cannot buy regular goggles and get them in prescription because my glasses prescription is way way way too high. That is why i'm trying to get some custom moisture chambers done...but I'm not sure if that will have as good of a seal as goggles would?

I have not yet been able to find a pair of safety goggles that fit over my glasses. There are a lot of gaps...but I am still looking...

EDIT: Hmmm I think I might invest in some MEGs!

Comment

Try these,

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/fiovrxgl.html
              Last edited by Plat; 25-Aug-2008, 19:56.

Comment

Teaching is not without its stresses and long hours so watch that one! You may have done this already but if not - why not try and get some experience in school so you will have an idea of what to expect if you decide to pursue it?

I have a number of eye conditions - including dry eye. I wanted to remain working in education but I switched direction some years ago. I now work as a Careers Adviser in a university. It's the kind of job that requires one to keep up to date with job information / trends etc so I cannot escape the computer but I persuaded my employer to get me a bigger screen. It's now much easier for me to cope with that side of things. I also take regular breaks - and like most of us - have developed strategies for coping. Any student coming to see me has to accept a rather cold office because I cannot cope with radiators but we get by. No-one complains!

Fortunately, I work with a great team of people (it hasn't always been the case) and this has enabled me to give my 100% and enjoy my job.

You will eventually find that too, I am sure.

Comment

Fmla

Hi Oydnas:

Have u worked at your current job awhile? If so u may qualify for FMLA. That way you could keep your health insurance and job when your eyes get better.

Kim
                  If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
                  X