Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meditation on LCD monitors and their effect on dry eyes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meditation on LCD monitors and their effect on dry eyes.

This is a topic that's hardly ever been researched. First I was inspired by this guy to look deeper into this.

The fact is, my first dry eye symptoms surfaced when I was simultaneously exposed to 8-hour workdays inside an office that was

a) lit with fluorescent lights
    b) powered with LCD monitors (which use fluorescent backlights)

It is a little known fact (apparently) that when you sit in front of your LCD, and you load a website such as Google.com, which is predominantly white, you end up staring directly into a fluorescent lamp.

Wikipedia says this on fluorescent lights:

Since fluorescent lamps produce a small amount of UV light, they can trigger problems among individuals with very high pathological sensitivity to ultraviolet light. They can induce disease activity in very photosensitive individuals with Systemic lupus erythematosus; standard acrylic diffusers absorb UV-B radiation and appear to protect against this.[10] In rare cases individuals with solar urticaria (allergy to sunlight) can get a rash from fluorescent lighting.[11] Fluorescent lamps with magnetic ballasts flicker at a normally unnoticeable frequency of 100 or 120 Hertz and this flickering can cause problems for individuals with light sensitivity,[12] they are listed as problematic for individuals with epilepsy,[13] lupus,[14] chronic fatigue syndrome, and vertigo.[15] Research on this is very limited. Fluorescent lighting can also induce depersonalization and derealization, subsequently, it can worsen depersonalization disorder symptomology.[16]
    Over the years, I've tried around 12 different models of LCD monitors, they all burned my eyes, even with swimming goggles. One common thread - they all used cold-cathode fluorescent lamp as backlight.

=======================================

This week I found that the first consumer-priced LCD monitor became available which does not use a fluorescent lamp ! It uses an LED (light-emitting diode) backlight !

It should arrive to my house today, I'll update this thread with how that goes.

P.S. Also, there are some laptops out already that use LED backlights for their screen. I have big hopes for this, but I am used to failure as well

Thanks for sharing this information, Jack! Let us know how the new display works for you.

I often find myself squinting, because my monitor is too bright, even when I have it set to be dimmer. So, I will be happy to know about an alternative, especially since I am due for a new computer this year.

--Liz

Comment

Waiting for your test.

I am using CRT monitor at home

But would you use self money to buy and pick one to the office?

Comment

Experiment failed, monitor returned.

My CRT is irreplaceable until the SED technology comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_bristow View Post
          Experiment failed, monitor returned.

My CRT is irreplaceable until the SED technology comes out.
          SED? super?

Comment

SED is the new CRT; only it can be flat, and thus, larger. Widescreen, etc.

Comment

A CRT is worse than anything because of the glare.

Comment

Working...
              X