Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips to make computer usage less painful?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to make computer usage less painful?

I work from home (my light sensitivity is so bad that I can’t drive or work in an office) and spend about eight hours per day on the computer. I’m looking for any tips on how to make using computers less painful.

Thanks
    James

James,

My brainstorm....

Make your home office as humid as possible. Wear goggles or moisture-chamber glasses. Take regular and frequent breaks (maybe lie down with a warm compress once an hour?). Think about blinking and try to train yourself to blink more often (I know, easier said than done).

Anything you can do to break up the time so that it's not eight *straight* hours on the computer would probably help.

Teri

Comment

Two things I can suggest.

There are filters you can buy for your screen to ease the severity of the monitor. Also, lower your monitor somehow so that you are looking down upon it. If you can manage this, your eyes will only be half open (or half shut - depending on how optimistic/pessimistic you are feeling) It could be a great help to you. The real issue is finding a way to drop your monitor down...or raise the rest of you...

D
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwmsga View Post
        I work from home (my light sensitivity is so bad that I can’t drive or work in an office) and spend about eight hours per day on the computer. I’m looking for any tips on how to make using computers less painful.

Thanks
        James

Hi,
        One thing I have found that helps is setting your monitor a little lower than your eyes so that your eyelids are down a little. When your eyes are wide open and looking upward more your eyes dry out. Take frequent computer breaks too.

Comment

I think Rebecca has posted a thread that includes a periodic "Blink" reminder - so that you remember to blink and dont stare at the computer 100% of the time.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies and tips. I've already begun using some of the tips.

Has anyone successfully lowered their monitor? If so, I'd love to know how. Every computer table I've seen is designed for the monitor to be at eye level. I never seen one where the monitor was lower than eye level.

Comment

Hi - just to pass on my exp

4 things that really helped me

Goggles - wear them!
              Dust - get rid of it!
              Drafts - don't sit in one!
              Breaks - take every 1hr and look at something distant (but not the sun )

Hope this helps

EllMitcho
              The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Working...
              X