X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes and Job Interviews

Hi,

I'm applying for jobs at the moment which will mean interviews coming up soon. I was just wondering what your experiences have been like with having an eye condition and interviewing for something? I wear Scleral Lenses, but I still have to put in drops every 5-10 minutes due to surface dryness. Do I explain this right away, or even at all? I'd rather have them know my situation and not think that I was being rude or on drugs. Yet, I don't want to seem unprofessional, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable. (As if it isn't hard enough trying to find a job in this economy...)

Any advice, or your own personal experiences would be helpful and appreciated!!

Thanks!!

~marcey.

Originally posted by eyedrops View Post
    Hi,

I'm applying for jobs at the moment which will mean interviews coming up soon. I was just wondering what your experiences have been like with having an eye condition and interviewing for something? I wear Scleral Lenses, but I still have to put in drops every 5-10 minutes due to surface dryness. Do I explain this right away, or even at all? I'd rather have them know my situation and not think that I was being rude or on drugs. Yet, I don't want to seem unprofessional, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable. (As if it isn't hard enough trying to find a job in this economy...)

Any advice, or your own personal experiences would be helpful and appreciated!!

Thanks!!

~marcey.
    I did the interviewing thing while really struggling with dry eyes a few months ago. For me, I just put it into my head that my eyes were fine and I drank water throughout the interview as a weak substitute for putting in drops.

After I was hired, I told people about my eye condition. I would not advise you to inform them of your condition until you're hired unless it's a good story about what you've been able to achieve under difficult circumstances.

As soon as I had the job, I immediately scheduled a bunch of doctors appointments too! Yay for benefits!

Comment

disability?

Originally posted by LasikRelatedDES View Post
      After I was hired, I told people about my eye condition. I would not advise you to inform them of your condition until you're hired unless it's a good story about what you've been able to achieve under difficult circumstances.
      Thank you for that advice! I definitely understand what you're saying about not telling interviewers about your condition, but if the interview is a particularly long one (i.e. 30 min.+) there is NO way that I would be able to not put in drops at least a few times. And when I think about it it makes me angry that having a condition like this, a disability, would perhaps lessen my chances of getting a job. If I was, for example, in a wheelchair the employer could get into legal trouble for discrimination, etc. I guess I just have to hope for the best and an understanding employer...

Comment

Originally posted by eyedrops View Post
        Thank you for that advice! I definitely understand what you're saying about not telling interviewers about your condition, but if the interview is a particularly long one (i.e. 30 min.+) there is NO way that I would be able to not put in drops at least a few times. And when I think about it it makes me angry that having a condition like this, a disability, would perhaps lessen my chances of getting a job. If I was, for example, in a wheelchair the employer could get into legal trouble for discrimination, etc. I guess I just have to hope for the best and an understanding employer...
        Same here.
        Double-edged sword, really and sometimes you really can't hide it. I guess it depends on the job interviewer (how open minded he is). Maybe be casual about it, "sorry about this, conjonctivitis, you know how it is" while you quickly put drops. Of all the things i've tried that one worked the best.

Comment

Working...
        X