X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to magnify text size on computer screen

hi everyone,

a tip for those computer users who use Internet Explorer 8, and a PC. (don't know if this applies to Macs). i find my eyes are less uncomfortable if i use a higher magnification of the text, on the monitor.

to do this, hit Ctrl +

to shrink the text back down again, use Ctrl -

this is fab, thanks!
    just keep swimming...

Comment

This also works if you use Firefox for your browser instead of IE8.

Denise

Comment

computer eyestrain and Macs

Hi Thistledown, good tip. We need to help ourselves when and where we can.

For Macs. Command +, and -. Works for all screens, Safari, Firefox, Open Office, Text Edit etc.

I've also downloaded some addons for Firefox. No Squint allows you to fiddle with the text, background etc.

Adblock Plus gets rid of reallly distracting flashing ads and makes the screen 'cleaner'. For anyone who worries that ad blocking will kill off the internet, you can allow for any page, or site. I don't have DEZ ads blocked because they aren't trying to tell me that I'm the lucky millionth visitor

Colorful Tabs is a useful addon for me. I have it set so all tabs from one site are the same colour, and the colour of the tabs for the page I'm not on are greyed out a bit. Helps me to not close the wrong tab.

There are quite a few Firefox addons for low vision.

Anyone else have favourite computer tips?

Cheers,
        Polly

Comment

computer glasses

hello --

You can also have a pair of glasses specifically made for using the computer. I have bifocals - and had a pair made and, they basically half the Rx for both - putting half the distance on the top and half the reading on the bottom. it's a graduated progressive lens.

Pearle vision opticians are familiar with how to do this. if you do a lot of computer work, this can help quite a lot. plus you're not adjusting your neck to hit the "sweet spot" if you have bifocals.

hope that helps,
          Scott

Comment

Thanks a bunch

Wow,it helps. If you keep holding the plus it goes SUPER large.

Comment

Magnifying text

I also manipulate the text on my computer screen. I try to make it bigger when I can, but there are always trade offs like not being able to see part of the screen.

When I use Word or Excel, I work in 14 pt font which helps.

In my post Dry Eye and Working on the Computer All Day I gave a review of a new type of glasses that have solved a lot of my problems. I don't know if they'll work for any of you, but it might be worth a try.

Comment

Working...
              X