autologous serum drops - just started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autologous serum drops - just started

Well, I must say the thought of putting drops in my eyes that came from my own blood weirded me out a bit, but now that I've been using them for a couple of days, I'm over that!

They took 9 vials of blood from me in the lab... that, plus the 7 that got taken earlier in the day for other blood tests made for a brand new personal record for most blood removed in a single day!

My doctor prescribed me 50% autologous serum to be used 4 times daily. They feel more comfortable in my eyes than any other drop I've ever used, so that's really nice! The big question though, is not if they will provide immediate symptom relief, but will they give me long term improvement!? I guess I'll have to just use them for a few months to find out...

The pharmacy gave me the choice of 10ml bottles or 7.5ml bottles. Due to my concern over bacterial contamination, I chose the 7.5ml bottles so that it wouldn't last as long (ie. so I'd be starting new bottles more frequently and therefore less risk of bacterial contamination) The pharmacy told me that the current bottle I am using is good for 1 month in the fridge - all extra bottles must be stored in the freezer, and are good for up to 3 months. I figure my 7.5ml bottle will be used up in 3 weeks...

However, since they are non-preserved drops, I would feel better about them being in even smaller bottles so that I would use up the contents within a couple of days...

Has anyone else used serum drops and continued to use the same bottle for an entire month?

When I get a chance, I'll try to find more info on pubmed...but in the meantime, I figured I'd see if anyone here has anything to say about it!

Hi Saag,
    I tried serum drops a couple of years ago. They pulled 12 vials of blood at one time and that was my record. Right after, we had to go out and hurry to the car in extreme July heat. I thought I was going to drop.

I had to make a 200 mile round trip to get the drops and have them made. I also soon found out my insurance wouldn't pay for this. I had a few months worth of drops and found them very soothing. I could not keep up the travel and $$ so I just stopped using the serum drops when they ran out.

I had no permanent fix from using the drops and cannot say whether someone else would. I do think we are so individual and we all have dry eyes due to different conditions, so what helps one might not help another. I have dry eyes from Lasik (started the beast) and then a few years later developed Sjogrens. Good luck and let us know. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi,

I've not tried it myself, but am curious about yours and others experiences as I seem to be rapidly running out of things to try.

And coincidentally, on Wednesday I had 17 vials of blood extracted for eye related tests.

Good luck with the serum!

Comment

Hi Saag
        I am writing from my phone so I can only be very brief - i think that the blood serum drops contain important substances like growth factors and immunomodulators as well as nourishing elements similar to those in healthy tears.
        I have always wanted to try them but they don't make them here and besides as my doctor says their benefit lasts as long as u use them.
        I wish you good luck,I think it is an excellent choice of treatment and try to stick to them for as long as u can.
        I am eager to hear about your improvement!
        Regards,
        Dani

Comment

Re: autologous serum drops

I've tried serum drops but they didn't do anything for me. I may try them again at some point.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything to making them... the lab draws blood, spins the vials in a centrifuge, then they draw off the "white stuff" on top (discarding the red stuff at the bottom).

In my case, I walked the "white stuff" to the compounding pharmacy and they put it in little bottles. Nothing is added, as far as I know.

Of course, all bottles should be kept frozen except for the one in use. And that one can only stay in the fridge for a limited amount of time.

For me, a single bottle of drops lasted about 4 days. I had 7 vials of blood taken and that translated into 7 bottles of drops (but this is individual and depends on the amount of serum an individual has in his/her own blood.) That means for me I had about one month (28 days) of drops for each visit to the blood bank.

Comment

Re: autologous serum drops

I forgot to mention that I would gag a little when I first started using these drops!!

Comment

bottle size..

I was told they intentionally put them in small (1.5mL) bottles so they will only last a week or so in the refrigerator. Not sure exactly how long they will go either refrigerated/frozen, but I'll ask my next visit. Hope they give you some relief.

Comment

Here in the UK, autologous serum drops come in bottles of approximately 3ml and they must be stored frozen until required for use.

They arrive in boxes of dry ice and of course must go straight into the freezer.

You use a fresh bottle each day with new sterile dropper

Comment

My compounding pharmacy here picks up my blood from my doc within minutes and makes up the drops for me by the end of the day...they put them into little plastic syringes....I just pull one out each morning and stick it into my little Star Wars Jedi metal container I use the drops as needed throughout the day ....my first batch was 20% concentration the last batch was 30%....I may push them to go higher on the next time...I did feel that they made a difference...it made me feel better about myself that I was putting something into my eyes that might actually have something to do with healing instead of just manageing to get through the day...it did help with my overall attitude for sure....I recomend when you put them in to let them get a good soak....I always noticed good improvement when I had the time to just lay back for 10 minutes or so and just close my eyes with the drops in...I say give it a try....

Comment

Dave, does your insurance pay for the drops? I found out mine didn't after I'd gotten a batch and I stopped using them partially because of that reason.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I'm sorry I missed this thread till now.

Please, all you serum users (or those who attempted and did not find it effective) read the conclusions of this abstract.

When you get bottles to use for days/weeks, contamination is only one concern. The other big one is, is the stuff even useful after that long? When you go to this much trouble and expense for a treatment, you really want to maximize chances of success. This is pretty much the definitive study about preparing autologous serum drops. I have the complete study if you want it in PDF e.g. to give to your doctor.

Time- and temperature-dependent stability of growth factor peptides in human autologous serum eye drops.
                      Cornea. 2009 Feb;28(2):200-5.
                      Bradley JC, Simoni J, Bradley RH, McCartney DL, Brown SM.
                      Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA.

PURPOSES: To develop a step-by-step production method for human autologous serum (AS) eye drops that was broadly compliant with US Food and Drug Administration requirements for reinjection of processed biological substances. To determine optimum storage conditions for AS eye drops by measuring the concentration of growth factor peptides (GFP) as a function of storage temperature and storage duration.

METHODS: AS derived from the blood of 3 healthy male volunteers was produced using a closed, vacuum-driven, cascade-filtration system under sterile, low-pyrogen conditions. In-process controls included methods for monitoring protein electrophoretic mobility and degradation rate and the content of free hemoglobin and endotoxin. Stability of transforming growth factor beta1, substance P, nerve growth factor, calcitonin gene-related peptide, insulin-like growth factor 1, and epidermal growth factor was evaluated at -15 degrees C, +4 degrees C, +25 degrees C, +37 degrees C, and +42 degrees C at different time intervals (hours to weeks). The main outcome measures were the concentrations of GFP, endotoxin, and lipid peroxidation by-products (a proxy measure for protein degradation) in dilute AS.

RESULTS: The stability of GFP varies: transforming growth factor beta1, nerve growth factor, epidermal growth factor, and insulin-like growth factor 1 were more temperature and time resistant, but substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide significantly degraded at +4 degrees C in 24 hours. Endotoxin and lipid peroxidation by-products were not significantly increased by processing.

CONCLUSIONS: This pilot study developed a closed, cascade-filtration system that was an effective method for the production of high-quality, low-pyrogen AS. The processing method broadly complied with Food and Drug Administration requirements for reinjection of biological substances. Variable GFP stability was observed at +4 degrees C and above. For clinical use, AS should be packaged in daily-use containers, which should be stored frozen; the container in active use should be refrigerated between doses.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

No my insurance did not pay for them....cost me 2.50 a day for each syringe...a bit pricey huh? But I was and still am willing to try anything that makes sense to me....it was a positive experience for me....I think I am going to try a bout of Oasis Tears Plus, Auto Drops and Restais drops through the day and see what I get out of it....Right now I am doing Oasis Tears and Restaisis and have seen some improvement....

Comment

Thanks for the answer about the insurance, Dave. I liked the drops while I was using up my supply. I had to make a 200 mile round trip and go to a U Hospital to get this done and I decided I wasn't willing to do all that and pay out of pocket. Also, taking into consideration I live in Mich and sometimes in the winter you do not travel beyond your township. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy,
                            Do you have a compounding pharmacy anywhere close to you? Those guys are always looking for interesting things to try out. Thats what my guys did...they looked it up , researched it and tackled it....God love em they even came to my doctor office when the blood was drawn and picked it up....seems like there should be one close to you somewhere? It might be worth some research for you.....

Comment

Working...
                            X