This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % Serum

Are higher serum %'s potentially more effective? The Autologous serum drops I have are only 20%, yet I have heard of others on this board using higher %'s. I am wondering if I should possibly try a higher concentration.

"Concentrations between 20% and 100% of serum have been used. The efficacy seems to be dose-dependent." From page 169 of the DEWS report.

http://www.tearfilm.org/dewsreport/p...DEWS-noAds.pdf

It can't hurt to try a higher strength and see if it works better for you...

Comment

My physicians seem to like 50% for most people but I recently upped to 75% because I thought it might help me in the winter when my eyes are drier. When I asked about upping my percentage, they did tell me there is a slight risk using more than 50% serum. The risk is VERY small but apparently, in a few cases, higher percentages result in protein deposits on the cornea, which can affect vision. The good news, and why I chose to go ahead, is that the protein deposits typically go away when you eliminate or drop the concentration of serum. Still, they haven't seen those deposits on 50% or less.

Couple of thoughts on the difference between 50% and 75%:
      - The 50% seem to be more moisturizing than the 75%. 75% does moisturize my eyes, just not quite a well.
      - I believe I could lower the number of daily applications using 75% but I haven't wanted or needed to.
      - Increasing your serum concentration will result in fewer bottles of drops. This hasn't been a problem for me since I was getting too many (after a certain point, they lose their effectiveness) but to maximize your bottles, make sure you drink enough water.

I'm glad that I chose to try the higher concentration and I'll probably stick with it since there's no reason not to.

Comment

Working...
      X