X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serum help for first timer

Everyone,

First thanks for availability of this forum and for all the posts - really there is nowhere else to go for help like this. I would like to pursue serum drops, but the eye doctors in my area (and I go to the largest practice in my city), just seem to be pretty basic although they do perform lasik, surgeries, etc. I am doing IPL and it is helping, but I really want off the restasis and lotemax and so want to try serum drops. How do I get started? Do most eye doctors know of these and how to order? I have gone to 3 different doctors in the current practice and none have mentioned to me and when I mention things like IPL, I have to educate them. What type of lab makes the drops? I know sometimes you can call the lab/compounding pharmacy and they will tell you doctors who order them. I just know if I wait for weeks for an appointment with my current doctor, it will be met with a "I am not familiar/comfortable prescribing those", so I would like to get educated. I am in South Carolina and have travelled to Charlotte for the IPL if there is anyone with a local doctor to recommend.

Again, many thanks to all who post.

google "DEWS report" - skip to the chapter on management of dysfunctional tear syndrome - serum tears are discusses - this reference is reputable and referenced in the major treatment guidelines, so your doc ought to trust it. Print it off and bring it along to your appointment.

Comment

Hi gichamp, I am also using restasis and lotemax with little relief. I live near Charlotte and may consider the IPL, could you tell me who you go to there? I am also very interested in the serum drops, but haven't asked my dr. about them yet.
      Thanks!
      Jeanne
      Ocular rosacea, MGD, RK 94

Comment

I have been going to Dr. Ivan Mac at Metrolina Eye. I have had two of the recommended four treatments so far. Interestingly, he coded them with a diagnosis of Occular Roscea (which I do have in addition to MGD) and the insurance reimbursed $160 or the $350 I paid for each IPL so that is a positive.

Comment

There aren't any SC options listed here: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...gous-eye-serum but there is at least on NC, if you have to look out of state. First, I'd check university hospitals in your area. This one looks promising http://www.muschealth.com/eyes

Comment

Thanks for the information. I also have Ocular Rosacea and MGD. I had RK in 1991 which complicates things for me. I am so frustrating with trying different things, but none of it works. I'm glad your insurance company paid for it. I may look into this.
            Jeanne
            Ocular rosacea, MGD, RK 94

Comment

Working...
            X