Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was given serum tears from Moran Eye Center in SLC UT and they mentioned nothing about antibiotics so I dont think you need to be on them. I was given 1 part blood and 3 part tears. They said this is the highest they do. Does that mean I have to go somewhere else for 100% serum? The drops I have right now dont really help at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
      I was given serum tears from Moran Eye Center in SLC UT and they mentioned nothing about antibiotics so I dont think you need to be on them. I was given 1 part blood and 3 part tears. They said this is the highest they do. Does that mean I have to go somewhere else for 100% serum? The drops I have right now dont really help at all.
      Thanks! From my research, 100% serum, 4x day works the best. Mixing it with saline water degrades the proteins faster and it's more dilute. I'd just ask them to give you 100% serum, right out of the tube of centrifuged blood.

Comment

When I asked for that they the tech said what I had 1 part blood 3 part tear was the most they do.

Comment

The Orange County Dry Eye Support Group in Calif

California Pharmacy in Newport Beach does the compounding for serum eye drop and blood draw and UCI. Call and ask for Glen Olsheim

Comment

Hi. I know a guy in Germany who bought a centrifuge and produced his own serum drops without problem. I have been using the 20% formulation (produced by a hospital pharmacy) for over 7 years, never told to use antibiotics with it. But you must be very careful to keep the bottles sterile, in the refrigerator, protected from light, and your hands absolutely clean when you use the drops. I have benefitted tremendously from using it. It is great as an anti-inflammatory.

Comment

I've been taking Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for nearly a year now and its slowly as the months have gone by been reducing the pain and only in the last month has it had a significant impact on redness but this has also coincided with the corneal pain becoming significant less.

PRP is very similar to Autologous Serum - its 100% and is based on your own blood being spun in a centrifuge.

I travel to Spain to get mine but it would be great if i could get it in England as travel around this time of year to Spain is expensive because of holiday demand but even with the travel expense its still a lot cheaper going to Spain than the £1500 it would cost me for Autologous Serum in the UK for 3 months ( Ive been prescribed Autologous Serum by my Opthamologist in Birmingham but its not approved to be funded by the NHS in my area )

Steve

Comment

Makes no sense why Autologous Serum drops should cost that much! From what I heard (from a technician at the hospital that produce it for me) it is a simple process that doesn't even require any unusual (i.e. expensive) equipments. When I was living in CH, a weekly vial cost me equivalent of $40, here in the US, the weekly vial costs about $15. The serum drops are not a covered item in the US either. Perhaps you should look into going to Switzerland to get yours made. I had mine made at Universitat Basel, eye center.

Comment

Thanks for that info miki-mama

I agree Autologous Serum should not cost £1500 in the UK for 3 months supply so its good to know the alternative of Basel that you describe

I checked up and its 700 miles from Birmingham to Basel whereas as its 1400 miles from Birmingham to Alicante in Spain so we're definetly getting closer to where i live ;-)

Ive never tried Autologous Serum because i hit a real blockbuster of an administrative funding delay in the UK between my hospital in Brum ( which i would highly recommend ) and NHS BT ( http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/tissueservic...es/autologous/ )

As i was in so much pain i couldnt afford the time to wait for the funding delay to get sorted ( it took about 6 months after i was prescribed autologous serum for me to be able to book an appointment with NHS BT ) so in the meantime i ended up going to Spain to get the nearly equivalent PRP which seems to work well but its slow progress as ive been taking it for just over a year now but its real progress to me

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial32 View Post
                    ! I am on my second bottle of serum and my eye is just great--no more swollen lid, stinging, itching, crusted over lids. .
                    Hello, please update regarding your serum experience. I don't believe mine are 100% serum (folks at the pharmacy could not give me that information when I asked. But I began using a week ago to help with burning and stinging from steroids. I guess I expected a bigger 'miracle' as my eyes feel even drier and sting quite a bit. Still, I have 3 months worth of serum: I was advised to use each vial for two days. Since I can't even work due to the dry eyes, I'm just sitting at home using the serum and waiting for a miracle. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

Originally posted by Gerri55455 View Post
                      Hello, please update regarding your serum experience. I don't believe mine are 100% serum (folks at the pharmacy could not give me that information when I asked. But I began using a week ago to help with burning and stinging from steroids. I guess I expected a bigger 'miracle' as my eyes feel even drier and sting quite a bit. Still, I have 3 months worth of serum: I was advised to use each vial for two days. Since I can't even work due to the dry eyes, I'm just sitting at home using the serum and waiting for a miracle. Thanks. ~Gerri
                      Sorry for the long delay in replying - Im still going out to Alicante to get the PRP serum - 18 months use in total now - very slow but very definite progress - im going to Alicante again in 3 months time

My consultant in Birmingham is still battling NHS England for funding as they dont support new patients in the West Midlands so it looks high likely Im going to be sent to Moorfields for Autologous Serum under some other NHS England funding pot - 2 years and counting to get Autologous Serum in England - thanks heavens for PRP in Alicante ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X