This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homes,

As I understand it, blood serum can grow bacteria very easily and can cause infections. My eye doc who gives me serum drops lets me use one bottle for two weeks, but another doc told me he didn't agree that keeping a bottle or syringe open for more than a day was a good idea at all. In the studies I've read online involving serum drops in the eye, the literature has mentioned at least one patient who developed an eye infection during the treatment. Fortunately, the infection is easy to clear up.

I can't be sure, of course, that this is your problem, but it sure seems likely. Have you been careful with the drops and are you keeping them cold? Any reason to think they've been contaminated?

Good luck getting cleared up. Happy birthday, old man.

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Homes,

Cairo didn't have a good weekend. Hope you're okay over there.

D

Comment

Diana has a point. I have had a couple infections, and that does sound like it could be one. My eye always turned pink and felt very irritated. If it doesn't clear up, I would see a doctor. I don't know why I got my infections....they just happened. But, luckily, they were easily cleared up.

Comment

well i've decided to stop taking the serum drops until i get to see my doctor. i think diana might be right, these are no typical dry eye symptoms.. did a quick search on "pink eye" on the internet, and almost all links directed me to a bacterial infection.

ps> yes diana, i store them in a fridge and try to keep them as sterile as possible. btw, im fine but obviously sad about the state the world has come to.

Comment

well i went to another opthalmologist yesterday, my eyes were getting too irritated to wait another 2 weeks for my other doctor to come back. and yes, i have bacterial conjunctivitis from the drops and im on prescription antibiotics and emadine solution.

i swear i have to buy a new medicine cabinet to hold all the drugs for my dry eye. anwyay, i have decided to discontinue the therapy. not because im discouraged, but merely because it's such a hassle to get another sample prepared and i cant be using my contaminated bottle lol.

overall i feel my eyes have definitely improved, even over the short 2 week period ive been using them. my eyes feel alot more lubricated than they have for months - so anyone considering serum drops; go for it! just makes sure you keep it sterile, because an infection is no fun either. especially for people with already damaged eyes.

im really sorry that i wont be giving you guys more feedback, but its just not practical for me. i got gaye's package of dakrina and dwelle samples yesterday, so im excited to use these new drops and see how that goes.

take care all,

Homes

Comment

Homes,

I'm sorry to know you have to deal with conjunctivitis, but I'm not surprised. It's something I've been expecting, as I've been on serum drops for four months now. So far, I've not had that problem. One day I just might. I'm cauterized in all four punctae and it would be my guess that with all the tears, constant blotting and lack of drainage in my eyes, I should be more susceptible to infection. Lucky for me, I haven't had one yet.

In case you or anybody else should decide to try the serum for the first or second time, here's what has worked for me:

The orginal eye doctor I went to was a couple hours from my house. He has prepared 2 "rounds" of serum drops for me. Each time he made a two month supply for me that was kept in four different eye dropper bottles. I keep them frozen until I'm ready to use them. Then the bottle stays in the fridge for no more than two weeks. I use them twice a day or more if I feel the need.

I just picked up my third batch of serum drops today, but opted this time to have them prepared more locally. It was worth the change-up to avoid the four hours of driving, but a bit more effort somehow. My pain doctor who's always very open to "whatever works" drew my blood and spun it. I then took it to my favorite "whatever works" compounding pharmacist who researched the process for these drops. He'd never done them before.

He concluded that using a bottle of refrigerated blood serum eyedrops for two weeks was very, very risky. I argued that I'd never had a problem before with them. He insisted on preparing my drops in small syringes instead of bottles. I have 100 syringes that I keep frozen and pull out one a day. Yes, he believes 24 hours is the life expectancy of serum drops in the refrigerator.

And so that's what I have. It's interesting to know my pharmacist's perspective on blood serum eyedrops. I think it's important for all of us to understand how easily they can become contaminated. With the syringe method of dispensing, should contamination occur in one syringe, it wouldn't ruin the entire batch. Considering what I paid for all this, that's VERY important.

Also, I truly believe I get real results with the serum and that Homes did also. I do hope, Homes, you'll consider having more made when you're in the mood. Perhaps you'll want to find a safer dispensing method.

In the meantime, take good care of those eyes, Homes. I know it must be frustrating. Us post-LASIk dry eye patients got WAY more than we signed up for.

Diana

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
                Homes,

I then took it to my favorite "whatever works" compounding pharmacist who researched the process for these drops. He'd never done them before.

He concluded that using a bottle of refrigerated blood serum eyedrops for two weeks was very, very risky. I argued that I'd never had a problem before with them. He insisted on preparing my drops in small syringes instead of bottles. I have 100 syringes that I keep frozen and pull out one a day. Yes, he believes 24 hours is the life expectancy of serum drops in the refrigerator.

And so that's what I have. It's interesting to know my pharmacist's perspective on blood serum eyedrops. I think it's important for all of us to understand how easily they can become contaminated.
                Diana
                Wow, Diana! That is some excellent info! Between you and Homes I am learning a lot about blood serum eyedrops.

Homes, I am so sorry you have bacterial conjunctivitis. I wish you a speedy recovery.
                Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
                  Homes,

I'm sorry to know you have to deal with conjunctivitis, but I'm not surprised. It's something I've been expecting, as I've been on serum drops for four months now. So far, I've not had that problem. One day I just might. I'm cauterized in all four punctae and it would be my guess that with all the tears, constant blotting and lack of drainage in my eyes, I should be more susceptible to infection. Lucky for me, I haven't had one yet.

In case you or anybody else should decide to try the serum for the first or second time, here's what has worked for me:

The orginal eye doctor I went to was a couple hours from my house. He has prepared 2 "rounds" of serum drops for me. Each time he made a two month supply for me that was kept in four different eye dropper bottles. I keep them frozen until I'm ready to use them. Then the bottle stays in the fridge for no more than two weeks. I use them twice a day or more if I feel the need.

I just picked up my third batch of serum drops today, but opted this time to have them prepared more locally. It was worth the change-up to avoid the four hours of driving, but a bit more effort somehow. My pain doctor who's always very open to "whatever works" drew my blood and spun it. I then took it to my favorite "whatever works" compounding pharmacist who researched the process for these drops. He'd never done them before.

And so that's what I have. It's interesting to know my pharmacist's perspective on blood serum eyedrops. I think it's important for all of us to understand how easily they can become contaminated. With the syringe method of dispensing, should contamination occur in one syringe, it wouldn't ruin the entire batch. Considering what I paid for all this, that's VERY important.

Also, I truly believe I get real results with the serum and that Homes did also. I do hope, Homes, you'll consider having more made when you're in the mood. Perhaps you'll want to find a safer dispensing method.

In the meantime, take good care of those eyes, Homes. I know it must be frustrating. Us post-LASIk dry eye patients got WAY more than we signed up for.

Diana
                  Hi Homes and Diana

Would you be kind enough to give us an update on the serum-drop use? Do u still use them, do the drops in your opinion make a change, etc

To Homes: do u still live in the Netherlands? I am a dutchy also

Greetings

chandler

Comment

Working...
                  X