X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood serum drops next week (sjorgen)

Hi all,
    I've been so depressed for a month and now I'm having a new hope - blood serum.
    I found out the university clinic does this for patients (in Germany) and I've read a post of a patient who has severe dry eyes in another german forum. She said she got a big relief with serum drops, after tried restasis, plugs, artificial tears. I was wishing she was occasionally also a sjorgen patient which would give me more hope but as far as I read from her post, she had eye operation and got dry eyes after that.
    I tried to get some more experience reports here but didnt find much. 4 or 5 users have tried it and only one said it didnt help at all.
    Someone suggests to try it if oral antibiotics work. As I read from internet, Restasis+serum should work much better than only restasis.
    There are also posts sharing the medical issues of serum drops or restasis, which can be found by "search- serum".
    Next Monday I will go to the clinic to take with the doctors and hope I can get them in a week.

Sjogren/ blood serum

Please keep us updated. I am also interested in blood serum as I also have Sjogrens. BTW trying DHEA and will let u know how that goes.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

you can also get the blood serum drops made in the US as well. i get mine done in houston.
      -Amy

Comment

Amy-

Has the serum drops been of help to you? Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi,
          I'm in Germany . So I will do it here in my city. Its not hard to find a clinic to make this at all, anywhere. So I dont understand why so few people trying this. (As I know the cost should be covered, or at least much cheaper than Restasis, no risk either)
          One more thing, there's a product called stemenhance (pills) in the USA, which was not selling to Europe a week ago on the website, but yesterday I saw they are doing international already (to Europe much more expensive than in dollars in the USA-around 50 Dollars to 40 pounds). Does anyone have good experience with it? There're some negative discussions online about it but I know someone used it and it did work well for 2 months.

Comment

oh ok, sorry atta, I didn't know you were overseas from where I live!

Lucy, I am not absolutely sure of the results of the serum drops on my eyes because I began using them and using restasis at about the same time. however, my eyes have definitely improved over the last few years, so either the serum drops, the restasis, or a combination of both is helping. at the very least, the serum drops are very cold, so the cooling sensation makes my eyes feel nice when I put the drops in. Hope this is helpful!
            -Amy

Comment

Hi

I've talked with the doctor today and she said I should try serum for a month. Serums do help some patients, but not all of them. After Sjörgen test she would give me some oral medicine. Unfortuenally I cant have my serum right away but need to go to hospital tomorrow and stay there for a night (A very stupid policy from the hospital, obviously for more money) to make them.
              I tried to ask if this oral medicine works well for dry eyes, or at least for some patients. She didnt give me an answer but said she would only prescribe it after Sjörgen confirmation. It's kind of sad to have Sjörgen for young people. I've been suffering for about 6 years and that should be the best time of my life. And I need to spend a lot of my money on drops, plugs, searching in the internet for information...
              I pray that Serum will work. And I will report my eye condiction asap.

Comment

Hi, I got them

I got my drops!
                I used twice already in 4 hours and I like them. My shirmer test (yesterday afternoon) was 0 and 0,5 and I cannot use artificial tears when my eyes get very dry because they hurt and burn my eyes badly and my eyes get very very red and serum works better in this aspect.
                It's far too early to make a judgement because I read a thread with lots of discussions. I see the users who once profit from serum drops still suffer and search for other therapy.

PS
                to be honest, I feel the drops "smell" like row beef and when I think they will flow down from the dusts to my throut I felt like throw up. ((

Comment

Atta - I'm curious, what medium are the drops delivered in? I tried them delivered in Refresh Tears (only product the doc I had access to would use so they had the preservative feature to prevent contamination) and had a horrible reaction to them. Within two days I could not open my eyes and it has taken 4 months of 200MG/day of doxycycline to get me back functioning again. I blame the Refresh Tears, not the serum. If I could get them in a non-preserved medium I would try them again but I am in Missouri and do not know of anyone locally that will make them in saline or some other preservative-free solution.

Just curious what they are putting yours in?

Comment

I think the serum drops are worth a try. I have been on theratears nutrition, restasis, Dr. Holly's drops, and tear duct plugs. I went to UT Southwestern in Dallas and got Blood Serum Drops (5 or 6 bottles) I believe they cost about $125. I have used them for nearly 2 months. They do seem to help but I have lost a lower plug in my left eye and it is bothering me to no end. Also, the redness and conjuctival veins still remain. Which are my major concern.
                    Take Care, DN

Comment

@ atta: please keep us updated about the drops. How were they made? How much blood did they need to make them?
                      Any news about your blood test and Sjögren?

Comment

Bunny,

My serum drops are prepared similarly to yours...in a preserved otc drop. Is there a drop that you can tolerate? Dr. Holly's drops...sold on this site...are preserved with his own preservative that may not bother you. I'm curious if these drops tolerate freezing. We could always ask him...

D
                        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Big comfort and redness slightly reduced (or remain)

I've been on serum drops (Restasis + serum drops) for 5 days. I feel my eyes get much better than 1 week ago, where I got severe inflammation and a lot of dryness. But there's no big differance to the time when my eyes were in good condition.
                          They give a lot of comfort and the redness is slightly reduced. I think its not placebo because after all those ups and downs, I'm cool inside.

My serum drops are pure from blood. They are transparent in color and in small glass, tinted. They need to be kept in freezing fridge. And the one opended and being used should be kept in fridge. That's very unconvinient to travel or bring around. I broght it to suiss this weekend with an ice baggy , at least 4 hours, and it seemed ok till yet. I got no infection.

@Stephgurl:
                          I dont know how much blood exactly. 4 or 5 full tubes ( around 20cl , I guess)
                          Till now I still have negative in my blood test. I'm waiting for the result of biopsy. Besides, I've read from the sjörgenworld forum that people use LDN to reduce the sjörgen symptom. And many people get dry eyes cured. Have you tried that? Last week I was very upset because they say dry eyes can only be cured when the symptom began shortly (one year max.) and my dry eyes startet at least 6 years ago.

Comment

Big comfort and redness slightly reduced (or remain)

I've been on serum drops (Restasis + serum drops) for 5 days. I feel my eyes get much better than 1 week ago, where I got severe inflammation and a lot of dryness. But there's no big differance to the time when my eyes were in good condition.
                            They give a lot of comfort and the redness is slightly reduced. I think its not placebo because after all those ups and downs, I'm cool inside.

My serum drops are pure from blood. They are transparent in color and in small glass, tinted. They need to be kept in freezing fridge. And the one opended and being used should be kept in fridge. That's very unconvinient to travel or bring around. I broght it to suiss this weekend with an ice baggy , at least 4 hours, and it seemed ok till yet. I got no infection.

@Stephgurl:
                            Till now I still dont have negative in my blood test. I'm waiting for the result of biopsy. Besides, I've read from the sjörgenworld forum that people use LDN to reduce the sjörgen symptom. And many people get dry eyes cured. Have you tried that? Last week I was very upset because they say dry eyes can only be cured when the symptom began shortly (one year max.) and my dry eyes startet at least 6 years ago.

Comment

2 weeks and no good effect

Its been 2 weeks since I used blood serum. It doesnt work that well anymore. Redness remains and dryness went back to normal level.
                              I will keep on using it for another 2 weeks. See what will happen by then.
                              Besides, I will try LDN soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X