Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody recommend a good humidifier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody recommend a good humidifier?

My old humidifier died and I've been shopping around for a new one as it really helps w/ the dryness. I looked at target.com and most of the brands and models they sold had negative user comments included. In fact, none of those I looked at had a positive or 3 star rating. I would be willing to pay more as it's better than having my eyes burning much of the time. Also could someone recommend in general a good brand as well as different models. Thanks. Please respond. Rob.

humidifier

Do you need the humidifier to cover a large area or just for you at night?
    Billye

Comment

I have a Holmes warm mist humidifier that I purchased at the end of last Winter at Target. It is an individual room size. I have one in my bedroom and one for use anywhere else I happen to be, I just move it from my office to the living room etc. It is quiet, but you do need to remember to fill it!
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Rafoster247,

Have you seen the humidifier's buyer guide at this link:

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/acr....shtml#587#587

I think Kitty shared this link awhile back. It has a lot of info about different brands and types.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

UK Humidifiers

For those of us living in the UK, Argos have a few to choose from, I got 1 last year for about £35, it seems to be quite good - although not completely silent.

I also put a bowl of water on each of the radiators in my house. (Sealed combination gas central heating unit , so not a problem) - just find a container that fits comfortably on the radiator (preferably ceramic or the like so that it doesn't pose a fire/fumes hazard).

I find that most of the water evaporates each day but I change the water every day anyway.

I must confess, I think the best humidifier available involves a airline ticket to the sunny, tropical climate of The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia.

After 5 years of living in the UK, I have decided that I am going back to Australia in November before the English winter gets to me and I am not planning on returning until March/April 2007 - woo hoo !!!!! (2 summers this year - if you can call the one we had here summer)

I figure if my DES is not resolved by then, it will be something that I have to learn to live with.

Unfortunately, with the current travel restrictions, my suitcase is already full so those of you thinking of hitching a ride are out of luck this time - sorry!!!

Have a great day!

Ian

Comment

Rob,
            I am pasting an email address of the humidfier I have purchased and absolutely love, quiet and works efficiently !!!!!This website allergybuyers.com
            was recommended by an eye dr.(expensive but worth it)
            Here it is: http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...ysVid=0apcb8mb
            Good luck Peggy

PS Just saw that Rebecca also gave you the website so now you have two recommendations for it.

Comment

Originally posted by IanPratt
              Unfortunately, with the current travel restrictions, my suitcase is already full so those of you thinking of hitching a ride are out of luck this time - sorry!!!

Have a great day!

Ian
              Well, just spare the odd thought for those of us (me!) left here in old Blighty over the winter - struggling with the cold and wind while you're out in the sun! I cant wait - NOT!

Im hoping for lots of cool rainy days - I seem to do much better on those! I use to hate the rain but we are pals again now.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlady
                Do you need the humidifier to cover a large area or just for you at night?
                Billye
                I'll be running it all day and possibly even at night. I'm thinking of buying two, one for my bedroom and one for my home office? I'd also prefer a cool mist by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy
                  Rob,
                  I am pasting an email address of the humidfier I have purchased and absolutely love, quiet and works efficiently !!!!!This website allergybuyers.com
                  was recommended by an eye dr.(expensive but worth it)
                  Here it is: http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping...ysVid=0apcb8mb
                  Good luck Peggy

PS Just saw that Rebecca also gave you the website so now you have two recommendations for it.
                  I did look at that site and talked with a sales rep and the one he recommended got a ton of negative reviews on Amazon. Many people stating that theirs died in less that a year or even a few months. I'm thinking though, for the most part, people don't leave positive feedback when somethings works but when something doesn't work, they're going to leave negative feedback. I might also go to the library and track down a consumer reports issue in Oct of 2004 which rated 15 humidifiers.

Comment

I would never infringe on copyrights; otherwise, I'd post some of the CR picks.

A few things I WOULD like to get on the TABLE, though:

1) Speaking of EVAPORATIVE dry eye ... I miss HOLMES. We sang together once--me singing melody, him singing HARMONY. He now lives in Holland with a postal code of HM7305-U;

2) It rains a lot in Holland ... and it's cold--not a WARM MIST like here in SoCal. Since there are a lot of bees here, HONEY can be WELL made most times of the year. There's a little roadside stand on Route HWM-260 that sells it cheaply;

... and on a slightly different note ...

3) Sometimes, when my eyes are really bad, I'm inCONSOLEable. In those times, I eat seedless grapes ... and I say to myself, "EMERSON good grapes!!" The sku says they were grown by grower #HD7005 ... whoever that is.

Orange County, California has been between 4% and 19% humidity for the last two days ... and I can SEE the ocean out the window
                    Last edited by neil0502; 30-Nov-2006, 23:07.

Comment

Neil, it is truly a pleasure to have you here.
                      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

This post may be a little late but I just bought a humidifier this weekend that I am really happy with. It is very quiet and really cranks the humidity. Also, with a 2 gallons tank, it can go almost a day if needed. It is more pricey, but definitely better than some of the cheaper models. I've listed the Amazon.com link below...

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Fan-2-0...=baby-products

P.S. I should disclose that I am neither a salesman for Dr. D's Tea Tree products nor Hunter Humidifiers. I am just a simple guy trying to get by with dry eye. Maybe I'm also a poet, and don't even know it .

Comment

animal shaped humidifier

Last heating season people wrote about a frog shapped humidifier from Target. Any Target or other reasonably priced stores, shoppers out there who have seen animal shapped humidifiers this year?

fernellen

Comment

Hamilton Beach

Bought the Truair which has a filter. I would buy it again if it went. Can't say that for many other things I ourchase. The others I bought left that white stuff on everything. Been about 4 years now and going strong. Seems quiet enough but since I use a cpap I get some noise from that. Plus I have a air cleaner in the room as well. O

Comment

Originally posted by fernellen
                              Last heating season people wrote about a frog shapped humidifier from Target. Any Target or other reasonably priced stores, shoppers out there who have seen animal shapped humidifiers this year?

fernellen
                              I saw 3 different ones at Walmart the other day for around $23. A frog, a soccer ball, and rats, I can't remember what the 3rd one was.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X