Today's Tip: The Heat is On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Tip: The Heat is On

Time to change that darn furnace/AC filter again. We're supposed to have our first snow flakes of the season tomorrow .
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Heat IS on here

Not to gloat, but here on the coast of Northern California, where I'm lucky enough to live, it's breezy, 75 degrees, and gorgeous. Ooops, I'm gloating just a little. I have family that lives in snow--nope, thanks so much.

Comment

And I can beat even that! It's 92 degrees today in good ole LA.
      It's sunny, blue skies and beyond beautiful. I thank the day I made the decision to move to the West Coast...I only wish I had never met my lasik eye doctor

Comment

Heat is on

Well, here it is, the middle of November and it was 73 today and sunny! tomorrow it will be 76, but cloudy and a chance of rain. As a local from Wisconsin, I thank my luck stars that I left that nonsense.

Comment

Here in Tampa Bay it's supposed to dip into the mid 60's overnight. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

You guys know what you can do.......minus Cindy. It's raining/freezing and the winds are howling at around 50 mph right now. Two nights ago, it was 70 mph winds and the flashing (sp) tore off our roof. This is Michigan. Our forecast is for highs in the 30's for the next week. Brrrrrr. Throw in a good wind and we're all set.
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Stuck in Wisconsin

Hmph! You guys are sooooo mean!! Gloating is very rude, I'll have ya know.

But....here in Wisconsin....we are having our first snowfall of the year as I write. The silence is unreal. Snow is gently falling and clinging to the trees. It is absolutely breathtaking. Truly a winter wonderland. Time to grab a mug of hot chocolate laced with brandy (for the eyes, ya know ) and sit in front of the fire.

But I hate it after Dec. 25!

Comment

Jcorbett, my weather is probably just a few hours behind yours. Coming across Lake Michigan - and I'm about 40 miles from the shore. Then after it gets me, Cindy will get a hit of the same thing a few hours later. My sister lives near Pittsburgh and her weather is usually what ours is, just a day later. I'm not looking forward to winter.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Well I would feel left out if I didn't chime in here. Lucy you and I must be close to each other as I have the same weather pattern as you describe.Man did the winds howl last night. I lost a couple of small trees. Nice to have good company. I live on the west side of the state about 1/2 hour from Lake Michigan. I despise the cold. I agree it is beautiful and I live in the woods so the trees get covered with snow. Its a real Kodak moment and I can really appreciate that. But I have lots of pictures and the memory still works just fine. I have a medical condition called Raynauds Phenomenon which is miserable in the cold. Your fingers get white and numb and it hurts to run them under the warm water, gloves are a joke. I am currently sitting in a 72 degree office typing this and my hands are so cold you could chill water with them. It will be like this until the weather warms up.
                  Is there any room left in L.A. Kyle?

Comment

Aluminum in 40 ft length, 1 a.m., winds 50 mph, goggles (of course)

Guess who was out last night at 1 a.m. winds howling at 50 mph, raining, temp about 35? Don't look far. Hubby had foot surgery and is on crutches, foot in a cast. Our flashing tore from the roof and was whipping around in the wind. It could have broken windows, torn up our siding etc.

My husband woke up at 1 a.m. and heard the aluminum flying around. He decided then and there it needed to be taken care of. I would not let him go out, as there is no weight-bearing on his foot. I donned some goggles, as I was afraid of my eyes more than anything. Husband said "get some gloves because that will cut your hands." I found an old pair of his leather work gloves (yechhhh) and went out to see what I could do.

It took about 10 minutes and I was wrestling with this 20" wide aluminum, a length of about 40 feet. It's waving around in the wind, I'm pulling it down from the roof. I managed to rip it all the way off the roof. I rolled it up as best I could. Then, I took the 50 foot ladder that was lying on the ground, lifted it up enough to plop it on top of the pile of aluminum. I was none the worse for wear. No cuts, no dry eyes. I don't think I'd have ever made it in the construction industry. We have professionals coming out to fix the roof.

PS. I should have mentioned but didn't that my husband very recently had foot surgery and is in a cast, walking with crutches. Normally, I don't lift anything heavier than a can of Diet Coke, so last night brought out the pioneer woman in me.
                    Last edited by Lucy; 16-Nov-2005, 19:54. Reason: adding p.s.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy,
                      Next time let it blow off I will return it to you and meet you face to face. I bet your husband appreciates you! I saw a house on my way to work this morning and their vinyl siding was strewn all over their yard. I heard the winds last night looked outside and found everything in order but a couple of trees and went back to bed. I must admit the winds kept me awake and I stopped for a moment and thought about those poor people in Mexico during the hurricane. I read one young womans account of what it was like. She talked about tremendous winds blowing for 40 hours straight.
                      Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE

But....here in Wisconsin....we are having our first snowfall of the year as I write. The silence is unreal. Snow is gently falling and clinging to the trees. It is absolutely breathtaking. Truly a winter wonderland. Time to grab a mug of hot chocolate laced with brandy (for the eyes, ya know ) and sit in front of the fire.[/QUOTE]

Wow Jenny, I have to say you paint a beautiful picture. I am very, very jealous. Although I absolutely love the weather in LA I miss the change of seasons. I can actually visualize the scene above. Thanks for sharing it and for letting me remember what the Holiday season is supposed to look and feel like!

Jeff, any room in LA? Have you ever been here!? I'm heading to acting class tonight which would be about a 20-25 minute drive in any normal town. It will take me close to an hour and a half to get there. Unfortunately me, you and everyone else wants to be in a city where the sun always shines!!

Comment

Kyle,

No I have never been to L.A. But I have heard about the relentless number of people and the traffic is legendary. It must be nerve racking to drive thru that town.

I think I will opt for Mexico then.

Thanks Jeff

Comment

Had to chime in!!!!!!!

Lucy you are my hero!!!!!What a woman. Well here in upstate New York we are entering what I call monsoon season we have already had our first snow moved on to sleet and now are in the midst of a couple of rainy days. All the teachers are now booking their flights for warmer weather in February when we get a break...but you cant beat this part of town for the most beautiful fall foliage. The house humidifier is installled preparing for the sub zero winter temps. Hope all is having a good week!!!!!!!!!! (besides Lucy and her roof)
                            Peggy

Comment

The Heat is On

Once again I thank my lucky stars that we left Wisconsin behind. It was 78 degrees today, sunny and humid (my eyes were grateful!). But alas, rain moves in tonight and we will only have a high of 50 tomorrow. Must be the remains of the storms coming from the midwest. Still can't complain. I remember those snowy, -20 degree days some years ago. Brrrrr!

Comment

Working...
                              X