X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick on Bifocals on Panoptx (7Eye)

Hi,
    Has anyone tried useing the stick on bifocals on a Panoptx lens? They have some curvature, so I'm wondering if they stay "stuck".

I already have prescription reading lenses in my Panoptx, for computer work all day, but am looking for a cheaper solution to having new stronger lenses put in.

At this point, even throwing away $13 to try the stick ons is more than I care to bargain for. I've tried so many things due to Lasik and severe dry eye, that I have no more money to flush.

Thanks!

Yes, I used the stick-ons in Panoptx. They work. I am kind of a perfectionist, so I trimmed, shaped, and placed the sections carefully so that they fit snugly toward the nose side. I tried to mimic the position of bi-focal sections in "real" glasses which is: the top of the section should start no higher than the bottom of the pupil of the eye (look straight ahead), and should be "in" (not straight down). This requires shaping and cutting the inside edge of the section.

Be careful to always make sure which lens you're working on; don't get them mixed up. I made a pattern in paper to get the shape right.

C

Comment

I have progressive bifocals in my prescription Panoptx, but they won't last forever and this is good to know about the stick on bifocals. The lens for progressive lens on glasses/goggles are close to $200. I'll check out how much cheaper my goggles would be if I didn't have the progressive bifocals.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thank you Calli, this is great information. I really need a stronger reading prescription, and maybe by using these stick on's I can get a little more milage out of these lenses before I have to pay for replacement lenses.

Can you comment on the optical quality? I would be wearing it 10 hours or more a day, and I'm wondering if there is any distortion or the feeling of looking through saran wrap. (My Lasik already provides that nice optical quality).

Comment

They seemed clear--not like saran wrap. I think you could experience strain if you are layering the segment over the existing bifocal or progressive segment, since the combination might not have the greatest optics!

Are you using them for computer, or for closer work, like reading distance? I ask because where you place the segments might make you have to tilt your head a bit, which could be straining.

The good thing is that you can take them off and reposition them. My advice would be to place them without trimming first, and get a feeling for the position and strength by trying them out in front of the computer or your normal working distance.

Calli

Comment

Hello Calli,

Great write-up!

When you removed the untrimmed stick-ons after your trial, how difficult was it to remove them? Any chance of damaging the lenses or the stick-ons?

Thanks,

Lynne

Comment

Since the segments adhere with water-suction-surface tension (really I don't know what to call it), there is no residue when you remove them.

Do be careful though, and rinse off the glasses before you work on them. Even a speck of dust, when rubbed, will make a scratch (on the SevenEye). But this is true of all glasses and sunglasses. Use a soft cotton cloth or micro fiber cleaning cloth (not paper tissue) to do the cleaning and don't be too heavy with rubbing.

C

The only downside I found with the stick-on's is the same one with ordinary bifocals: getting used to the "jump" in vision at the top of the segment. It takes awhile to adjust.

Comment

Working...
              X