This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polarized vs Light Changing lenses

Are polarized lenses also light changing (photochromic), meaning I can wear them even when light is not so bright (like indoors or late in the afternoon)? I am a little confused about this distinction. I see polarized are more expensive. Am I right in saying that polarized would be more appropriate for light sensitive people?Other benefits from polarized lenses? thanks.
    Last edited by evang; 15-May-2010, 07:41.

I prefer polarized because they lessen the glare of sun reflection on shiny surfaces. I live in a really bright sunny place, so this is important to me.

I tried photo chromatic lenses in my regular glasses and didn't like them because they don't darken when you're in the car driving. Plus, they don't work as sunglasses for me because the bright light comes in from the top (between frame and face), so I'm still squinting even though the front of the glasses is dark.

Lots of people like them, though---personal preference.

C

Comment

Can you wear polarized indoors or when light is not so bright, like photochromics?Thanks.

Comment

Photochromic lenses MAY also be polarized, but not necessarily. Both are extra cost.

I was quite happy with Transitions lenses for indoor and outdoor wear. I now have "clip on" sunglasses which I do not like as well.

Photochromic lenses generally do not darken unless they get UV light exposure, which most relatively new car windshields block.

I like my 7Eye (PanOptx) Polarized Photochromic lenses outdoors, but I am less satisfied when wearing them for driving in Arizona because the sunlight is so strong.

Polarized lenses do help reduce glare; but if the lenses are not dark enough, polarization alone does not block enough sunlight when ooutdoors. I have never tried polarized lenses indoors.

I do like my polarized ski goggles, much better than lenses that are only tinted.

Bottom line - I think you have to try the lenses you are considering.

Good luck . . .

Comment

Working...
        X