This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on moisture chamber glasses

I've been having major difficulties working in the office recently. My eyes have been really red and burning. In addition, I feel some discomfort in the region around my eyebrows. I suspect that it could be due to a combination of the air conditioning and computer usage.

I am currently about to complete 8 weeks on Restasis. It seemed to moisturize my eyes initially. However, it seems to dry out my eyes and make it burn after applying it. I don't seem to get as much comfort out of it as compared to when i initially started it. However, in the last 2 weeks i had been on the computer more often as well due to urgent deadlines for certain projects. I do not know if the increased sensitivity and feeling that Restasis is losing effectiveness could be due to the strain placed on my eyes during the last 2 weeks.

In the last week there were a few days which i cut back on computer time to just about 3 hours each day. My eyes still felt dry and discomfortable. Hence, I believe that the air conditioning could be a major culprit.

I am considering moisture chamber glasses to make my eyes more comfortable at work. However I have a few areas of concern.

1. Firstly, I would like to know from people who have used moisture chamber glasses, how effective are the glasses in providing more comfort to the eyes. Are your eyes less red and more moist?

2. I need to use it in an office setting. What glasses look the most 'normal', in the sense that it doesn't look like goggles or attract weird stares from other onlookers. In short, which glasses will be effective and yet look like normal regular glasses?

3. Other requirements is that I need to have prescription lenses with the glasses with preferably clear lenses.

I am a complete newbie in the area of moisture chamber glasses and would deeply appreciate any feedback or insights. Thanks.
    If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

you will just have to go try some on. I lso work in an office ll day, I have really bad dry eye so the moisture chamber glasses help my eyes a whole lot. I do recommend them. as for ones that look real normal, good luck because I have not had much. in the office people ask me I am light sensitive and I just say "yes" and leave it at that. you can get clear or tinted lenses. make sure they fit around your eyes and head good or they won't be worth anything. good luck to you

Comment

Hi there, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Originally posted by rooneyandfergie View Post

1. Firstly, I would like to know from people who have used moisture chamber glasses, how effective are the glasses in providing more comfort to the eyes. Are your eyes less red and more moist?

2. I need to use it in an office setting. What glasses look the most 'normal', in the sense that it doesn't look like goggles or attract weird stares from other onlookers. In short, which glasses will be effective and yet look like normal regular glasses?

3. Other requirements is that I need to have prescription lenses with the glasses with preferably clear lenses.
      Can't really comment on efficacy because it varies a lot with the individual (specifics of condition etc). For an awful lot of people though it really does make the difference between being able to work on a computer at all, and not.

Re: what looks most normal but accommodates prescription: You basically have 2 options for something really discreet:

1) MEGs - see www.seefit.net. Not a complete seal like 7Eye or Wiley foam-lined glasses, but still quite effective for a lot of people, and they are glasses not goggles.

2) Custom moisture chambers made by an optician with EagleVision material or similar.

A third option that is very new so I can't recommend it based on any other experience than my own is 7Eye Oasis Ziena. It's a big pair of glasses/sunglasses with a removeable rather delicate semi-opaque silicone lining - hard to describe but it extends to your face most of the way around and kind of gently curls under where it meets. I have been testing these out for a few weeks and really like them a lot - they are currently my favorite driving glasses. I have had virtually no fogging and can easily envisage working on a computer while wearing them. However, they're very costly (cheapest are $290 without prescription) - though so is everything else - and the eyecup has to be replaced frequently. You can ask for them at Harley dealerships but they're quite new so not very many dealers have them yet.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I've been having major difficulties working in the office recently. My eyes have been really red and burning. In addition, I feel some discomfort in the region around my eyebrows. I suspect that it could be due to a combination of the air conditioning and computer usage.

I am currently about to complete 8 weeks on Restasis. It seemed to moisturize my eyes initially. However, it seems to dry out my eyes and make it burn after applying it. I don't seem to get as much comfort out of it as compared to when i initially started it. However, in the last 2 weeks i had been on the computer more often as well due to urgent deadlines for certain projects. I do not know if the increased sensitivity and feeling that Restasis is losing effectiveness could be due to the strain placed on my eyes during the last 2 weeks.

In the last week there were a few days which i cut back on computer time to just about 3 hours each day. My eyes still felt dry and discomfortable. Hence, I believe that the air conditioning could be a major culprit.

I am considering moisture chamber glasses to make my eyes more comfortable at work. However I have a few areas of concern.

I am a complete newbie in the area of moisture chamber glasses and would deeply appreciate any feedback or insights. Thanks.
        hello,

you should read a topic opened by ''saag' about this subject. she had a pair custommade for her. she is quite enthousiastic about them.

regards,patrick...

Comment

are there any types of shields you can put on an existing pair of sunglasses instead of getting the glasses made? i tend to wear my sunglasses 90% of the time as i am super light sensitive and get migraines...isnt there something you can just slide on?
          Jenny

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

I dont really want to be wearing sunglasses as my main problem is not light sensitivity. It's more of the discomfort with dry eyes. In addition, I wanna try to get as normal a moisture chamber glasses as possible. If it's something tinted, then I would prefer as light a tint as possible. I don't think sunglasses would help me too much as I am already wearing tinted glasses now.

No worries about the late replies Rebecca. As usual, informative stuff that you have posted. I noticed that you haven't recommended some of the more popular panoptx or wiley glasses. Are there no designs from them that are more discreet?

In addition, I am currently based overseas due to work. Hence, I don't think I will be able to physically head down and try out the glasses. Is it possible to order them online?
            If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

Comment

If it's something tinted, then I would prefer as light a tint as possible. I don't think sunglasses would help me too much as I am already wearing tinted glasses now.
              Pretty much any glasses can be done with clear or slightly tinted lenses, so this doesn't really limit your options.

I noticed that you haven't recommended some of the more popular panoptx or wiley glasses. Are there no designs from them that are more discreet?
              Well, you said you wanted to know about products that would be as normal looking as possible and not like goggles. I don't think any of the standard foam-lined products from 7Eye and Wiley-X are particularly discreet if you're wearing them indoors, and they'll look more goggly if you have clear lenses in them.

The only one that is more discreet is the new 7Eye (Panoptx) product with the silicone shield that I mentioned.

In addition, I am currently based overseas due to work. Hence, I don't think I will be able to physically head down and try out the glasses. Is it possible to order them online?
              You can get anything online except custom moisture chambers. MEGs can be shipped overseas from seefit.net. I don't know offhand whether 7Eye.com and WileyX.com ship overseas but if you see something by them that you want and they won't, I can special order it and ship it to you if you want.

However, when you're not sure something will fit, it's rather a risk having it sent to you overseas because so much money is lost in shipping and customs duties on the receiving end if you end up needing to send it back. Whatever you get, I'd order it with the cheapest lens available because you're probably going to have to take it to a local optician to get your Rx put in it anyway.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

I will think about the different options available and check with 7Eye and Wiley to see if they do ship overseas. If they don't, then probably I will send a message to ask for your help in shipping the glasses to me. I don't seem to be able to find online the 7Eye glasses u recommended though. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Comment

do moisture chambers help with pollen/allergies?

i was just curious as i am looking at frames for moisture chambers.. i know they will def help keep wind and dirt out but will they also help with seasonal allergies??? thanks!!
                  Jenny

Comment

From my point of view, I believe that they would jenny. I am assuming by seasonal allergies u mean stuff like pollen as the allergen. If less pollen gets into contact with your eyes, it will probably not be enough to trigger off an allergic response. However, if you breathe in enough of the allergen, it may still trigger off an allergic reaction.

Comment

I like my new moisture chambers: http://store.nexternal.com/tdec/dust...mall-p379.aspx
                      I use them on computer a lot and my eyes don't become sore. The frame is wider/bigger that onion goggles, very lightweight and comfortable and affordable. Enables rx. And they look quite decent.

Comment

dust buster

Is the difference btw small and medium the frame around eyes or how wide they are? I like smaller around the eyes but I have a fat head... and how did you get your prescription for them...I didnt see that option.

Originally posted by avee View Post
                        I like my new moisture chambers: http://store.nexternal.com/tdec/dust...mall-p379.aspx
                        I use them on computer a lot and my eyes don't become sore. The frame is wider/bigger that onion goggles, very lightweight and comfortable and affordable. Enables rx. And they look quite decent.

Comment

reminder ...if ordering from birdzeye

You only get 7 days to return...you need a shipping number!....and regular mail might take between 6 and 7 days! You pay to ship it back to the company plus a 15 percent restocking fee!

Comment

Working...
                          X