X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light sensitivity plz help

Hello all,
    i have observed some points for the extreme light sensitivity i have.
    Im too much sensitive to light...Very dark googles lets me go out in sunlight...otherwise i cant open eyes in sunlight.Nightlight gives some relief but still its very irritating.

I have observed...If light comes from upper levels from my head positions, i just cant keep eyes open...Also from 0degree.

Attaching an image to clarify more simply.

Can any1 throw light on this?Why wud it happen?
    Last edited by hirentherock; 06-Nov-2010, 10:41.
    Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

I am not sure on the diagram and how the light enters but I too have light sensitivity. During the day out even in dim sunlight I wear sunglasses. Inside I keep all my blinds closed and used to have black out shades. I have times where the sensitivity is worse then other times. I do feel that the more I have shielded my eyes from light the more sensitive they have become.

Comment

I have observed the same...the more i try to shield my eyes from light, more sensitive it gets..I made the diagram to show what exactly makes me suffer more...i dont know if all suffers have the same scenario...Hope others wud comment soon

Comment

None else has any similarity to this who suffer from photophobia?something wrong with my eyes only i guess

Comment

I too suffer from extreme photophobia, only within my right eye. Have to wear wrap around sunglasses indoors & out. Have you seen an Ophthalmologist for your eye condition? Have you tried artificial tears (none preservative)? Have you suffered or suffering from iritis?
          Direct or indirect sunlight the worse for me, also eye very sensitive to overhead bright lighting.

Comment

This is my understanding of why "dry eyes" become photophobic or at least this is a contributing factor.

The cornea and tear film are designed to refract (bend) light rays to focus on a specific spot on the retina. Several things happen with eyes that compromised by ocular surface disease:
            Lack of tears lessens the ability to refract all the light coming into the eye.
            Dead/compromised epithelial cells reduces the corneas ability to refract the light rays.
            The dry areas of the cornea swell(edema) looking for moisture. This creates astigmatism causing the light rays to bent in all different directions inside the eye.

So at least these three issues have light bouncing inside the eye in every place other than the correct place. This lowers something called contrast sensitivity, meaning you can't see as good as you should. The light bouncing inside your eye along with this lowered contrast sensitivity creates eye strain.

I hope this somehow helps.

Comment

There are many things that can cause photophobia, so it's best to get your eye doctor's opinion and not self-diagnose from forums.

Something to consider, though (from my own experience)---I have more photo-sensitivity when my thyroid and adrenal levels are not correct. I recently read about a simple test you can do, as follows.

In a dark room, shine a flashlight on your eyes from the side. Have a mirror, and look at what your pupil does. It should constrict (narrow) and stay that way. But if adrenal glands are stressed, the pupil muscles will fatigue quickly in about 30 seconds. The pupil will expand or fluctuate. If the pupil is not able to maintain constriction, it makes your eyes very sensitive to light.

I find this test works better if you have someone else hold the light and observe your pupil, so you can hold you own eyes open manually.

I got this info about thyroid/adrenal problems from other forums. I can PM you some links.

Calli
              (Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Sjogren's)

Comment

thanx indrep for the valueable info...
                note that my problems r far far severe not to consult optho.
                I have been to the best doctors in India.But none explained it the way indrep explained.

To coli, i wud like to go thru the links kindly pm me...also let me know did u fail to the test?if yes, what was causing the stress to the glands?Did u get rid of it?How?

Thanx...to all who replied.

Comment

I sent you a PM.

C

Comment

calli.

That test sounds so cool, I will have to try it sometime. I have a friend with Hashimoto's who has a pen light so maybe I will recruit her! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                    X