This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer glasses

I'm in desperate need to reduce eye strain while working on computer. My job is 8 hours of computing.
    I'm only slightly myopic (but with ghosting issues in right eye) after lasik, so i'm wondering if i'd best order plano computer glasses or computer glasses with a slight prescription of e.g. +0.25 or +0.50. Is it always a good idea to have a slight prescription or not?
    The local shop here told me that computer glasses only have slightly tinted glasses that reduce flickering of the computer screen. Is that what it takes or should there be other specifics I should look out for?
    Any other tips are welcome!

Olb,

I had a considerable decrease in my strain when I got my computing glasses, but as we've discussed before, I have a hyperopic rx so I was able to get the glasses with an rx.

Have you found a good opthalmologist? They can suggest options for you.

The one I saw for my computer glasses said that the whole "computer vision syndrome" is alive and well, so even planos with the coating should help. You can get cheapos or you can go all the way to the Zeiss lenses (may do damage to your wallet though!).

May I ask what your stress level is like? Stress can mimick other disorders, just want to make sure you're not a walking stress ball - which could be contributing to your problems.

Rose

Comment

Olb,

You might want to take a look at this website:

www.gunnaroptiks.com

They specialize in computer glasses. Might not be practical for you to actually get any of these but the information about the kinds of tints etc that they use may be helpful. When I met with a sales rep a year or so ago they told me the characteristics that were so helpful were a combination of tint, slight plus lens, and curvature designed to help retain moisture.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

thanks a lot guys for your replies. If anyone else has something to suggest on the subject, please feel free.

I only went to a very popular chain of glasses/lens centers, but I will be informing myself in more professional shops during next week. Hopefully I will be well informed over there about computer glasses.

Stress is an interesting topic here. My eyes feel much dryer during working days. First of all because of computer work, but anxiety/stress tends to make them feel worse too I guess.
        I hardly have drye eyes when e.g. working in the garden. But when you have nothing to do but working on your screen and feeling the pressure that you must deliver quality work (and at the same time thinking you cannot because of your eyes), you think more about your eyes than about anything else.
        I have a lot of anxiety because when the eye strain comes up during the week, it's really hard to act positive, happy and professional.
        Sometimes it feels like a selffulfilling prophecy and you almost start to "expect" that your day will not end without eye strain. I know that's an attitude that needs to change, but it's so hard....

Comment

does anyone have experience with these computer glasses? i could order these, but since i'm not hyperopic the optometrist doubted the possible benefit i could have from it (lasik history etc)...

http://www.nuluxactive8.com/active8/index.php
          http://www.perret-optic.ch/optometri...fatique_gb.htm

Comment

Computer Vision Syndrome

Sounds like you might have computer vision syndrome. I do.

I get a lot of eye strain from working on my computer several hours a day. I take frequent breaks but that only helps a little. I have to take an hour or two break if I want to start working again without problems. Taking hour long breaks three or four times a day isn't really practical.

Like the article suggests I use set of glasses for the computer only. I have to have more than one pair with different scripts in each one. It's a real pain to change them during the day not to mention expensive.

If you find a better solution than using multiple pairs of glasses let me know.

I read a really good article on computer vision syndrome. I posted the link to it under the Workplace forum on here in the first post on there. Working on the computer all day was the name of the post, I think. Something like that.

Let me know if that article helps.

Comment

Working...
            X