This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving and Dry Eyes

Wondering if anyone else has trouble driving with dry eye? My goggles fog and I have not been able to find any that don't. Then even when I use onion goggles the big golbs of goo come suddenly down on my eye. I have almost killed myself several times or turned right out in front of another car I simply didn't see. Luckily my daughter works where I do or I would have no way to work and I get people to drive me as much as possible in the snowy weather. The docs do not understand what I am experiencing. I have several other diseases asthma, back etc so I already get more occurances than a normal person. So I missed work when the weather was bad and my daughter had called off work. I tried to get my family doctor to fill out my fmla paperwork she said go to the eye doc. I called the nurse there he said the doc said this doesn't qualify? then when I got real ticked off she fit me into an appointment on the 23rd so I can correct this matter. Also work is making people work overtime which is not an option for me with this. I am on the computer all day 35 hours a week thats the most I can do so trying to get an accomodation for work so I won't be forced to work this overtime. For the record I have been very sick all my life but have proudly worked since 1977. All I want is to be able to keep my job since I miss a few times more per year than an average person who is well. It costs money to keep going extra to the doctor for forms and now they all want an extra $20 per form i cant afford with our new pay cuts this year. About ready to say forget this crap and move into my sisters mobile home I inherited in June after she died!
    Just an update on me: my eyes were doing great after my thyroid removed but then after taking snythroid back to about the same just slighlty not as bad.

Driving with Panopteryx glasses aka 7 eye

Hi, I have only begun on this odyssey since August 2010. I had dry eye before that tine, but it wasn't so severe that I needed to make all the adjustments to lifestyle, daily regimen, etc. that are critical now.

Failed Neurosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia, and EBMD have dramatically altered my life. I now have very severe dry eye, as well as a number of other eye conditions.

I found Panopterex glasses to be essential when I drive, and anytime I'm outside. I haven't had prescriptions put in them yet, but after I get my eyes examined next week, and the stability of my EBMD is confirmed, I will be able to get a new rx. They do have what I see on this site as a "moisture chamber". The sunglasses are not weird looking at all, they look fashionable, totally normal. The transition glasses are another story. Some of the black foam eyeshield shows through since the glasses are clear at times, so they look somewhat more like goggles - but not so awful that I won't wear them outside. I found these glasses initially at an optician. But 2 weeks ago I found them on a reputable website for 1/4 of what I pd the optician, for just the glasses, no rx in them.

Has anyone else tried this type of glasses? I do find they fog up in the cold in the car initially, but I just pull them down my nose for awhile, and it clears up in maybe 5 min.

The eyeshields on these glasses really hug your face, and they are very soft, foam covered, and comfortable.
    Last edited by mgshutterbug; 03-Feb-2011, 22:13. Reason: I wanted to subscribe to my thread, so I could see what others wrote - but it seems I can't

Comment

I'm having huge difficulties getting rx goggles here in Ireland due to the price. Money is a bit tight at the moment (damn doctors bills!). So as a cheaper alternative I bought a small humidifier and put it on the dashboard of the car. The difference is significant. Not perfect, mind you - I will still avoid night-time driving if I can. But it does make it more comfortable and it means I have a humidifier to bring with me into the office etc if I need to. Perhaps this might be something you could add to your routine to make driving a bit more comfortable?
      The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Humidifier in car! Never thought of it

S'uil Eile
        Thanks for your idea. Could you tell me, what kind of humidifier you have? I'm guessing it works off cigarette lighter thing (can't think what you call it). And I haven't seen small humidifiers. Did you order it online?

thanks for letting me know about this.

Comment

I use this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifemax-Min...7187701&sr=8-1. I used blue-tac to stick it to my dashboard. A lead doesn't come with it, but I picked one up to connect to the cigarette lighter for about €5. It also runs off batteries, but it's more efficient plugged in. Particularly as I kept forgetting to turn it off when I got out of the car! Word of warning though, don't over fill it or the next time you turn a corner you'll have an attractive water feature on your dashboard...a mistake I only made once

Comment

but or me its not just about the ever fogging glasses i need to treat my eyes about 3-4 times between where i live and where i work.....not easy to do driving down the road and quite dangerous and the mucus stuff sometimes just blinds me.

Comment

This is the reason I prefer city driving: lots more opportunities to stop and put eye drops in. I can't handle motorways or long distances, but I can get myself from A - B. It means I can sit back and let someone else do the long-distance driving, while I take over dj and navigator duties

Comment

I, too, experience problems with driving and dry eyes. I never run the fan, if at all possible. Just can't stand the air flow. The humidifier for the car sounds very interesting. I find myself blinking and squeezing my eyes shut constantly. My eyes water, but it is due to the irritation. I wear the goggles, but they steam up a lot. Also don't have my prescription, which is 2, and things are a little fuzzy. I am looking into getting a prescription put in them. Can't do the trifocal, but my eye Dr. thinks they can do bifocals. Hopefully won't be distorted, due to the curve of the lens.

Comment

I used to go deep sea diving and remember that there is a particular brand of spray cleaner we used to put on our goggles to prevent fogging when you were 50 feet under the sea. You would find these at a dive shop or on line

Comment

This is gross, but when we bought our snorkeling masks and other gear, the dive shop mentioned that you can also use your spit... just rub it around the inside of the lenses and let it dry... it seemed to help... haven't tried it in my moisture chambers though lol

Comment

that's what all swimmers do with their goggles. I keep thinking of doing that as well, especially when I'm trying to exercise. I guess we could have two pair, one spit-smeared one and and one clean pair! Like my three year old says, "two-sgusting"!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                        I guess we could have two pair, one spit-smeared one and and one clean pair! Like my three year old says, "two-sgusting"!
                        LOL... that's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                        X