Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse dry eye using onion goggles?

[This is for a lady who can't use the computer.]

She uses onion goggles around the house, esp in the kitchen - ironing, cooking - and her eyes feel worse. Anyone experienced this? Any idea why?

She is 60-65yo, post-PRK but 20y ago. Used Oxfloxacin (with BAK) 10 days for infection, then started 'eyes completely dry, no tears at all' which is worsening with burning although no RCE.

She is prescribed Restasis daily, Lacrilube night-time (crusting terribly by morning), Celluvisc (she hates). Not been recommended night-time protection or daytime wraparounds or alternative lubricants or tear substitutes. Also, dry mouth.

Ophth doc prof says he's reached the end of the line and all eyedrops are the same (we know this is *cks, do we not).

She is worried wraparounds will make the eyes worse and hesitant to invest based on what's happened with onion goggles (left job she loved as carer for elderly because of eyes). NB this is Eire (southern Ireland).

Sorry for notes, in a rush - but what do you think, patients/pros? Any ideas/suggestions would be great x
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Had same experience. Might be for me ??possible diagnosis of ocular rosacea which can b triggered by heat. however this diagnosis was not agreed by another Dr . Could less oxygen to eye cause increased inflammation?
    Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
    [This is for a lady who can't use the computer.]

She uses onion goggles around the house, esp in the kitchen - ironing, cooking - and her eyes feel worse. Anyone experienced this? Any idea why?

She is 60-65yo, post-PRK but 20y ago. Used Oxfloxacin (with BAK) 10 days for infection, then started 'eyes completely dry, no tears at all' which is worsening with burning although no RCE.

She is prescribed Restasis daily, Lacrilube night-time (crusting terribly by morning), Celluvisc (she hates). Not been recommended night-time protection or daytime wraparounds or alternative lubricants or tear substitutes. Also, dry mouth.

Ophth doc prof says he's reached the end of the line and all eyedrops are the same (we know this is *cks, do we not).

She is worried wraparounds will make the eyes worse and hesitant to invest based on what's happened with onion goggles (left job she loved as carer for elderly because of eyes). NB this is Eire (southern Ireland).

Sorry for notes, in a rush - but what do you think, patients/pros? Any ideas/suggestions would be great x
    http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Maybe her eyes are sensitive/allergic to the glasses foam.

Comment

You didn't mention any compress/expression/lid cleaning routines. Is the crustiness in the morning from her eyes or from the Lacrilube (I assumed Lacrilube from your sentence - and FYI I hate Lacrilube... IMO it should be banned/destroyed)? Did she mention anything about hypersecretion of MGs (or any words suggesting that)? The reason why I ask all those questions is that I think sometimes people with MG hypersecretion find onion goggles create "stuffiness" around their eyes. They feel worse "trapping" that area with humidity and warmth. That would just be my guess...

Comment

I find that if I wear my onion goggles for any period of time I have to take a break for a few minutes and let my eyes "breath." My googles tend to steam up and they do feel "stuffy." I also have trouble sleeping in any kind of goggle.. I am worse in the am.

Comment

Might be worth switching to something more like the Dustbusters or Tranquileyes MREs (I know the latter are expensive but just mentioning because of the foam, also the bendy nose bridge makes them fit a lot of people though they run a bit big). They have the smooth kind of foam NOT porous like Onions or Wileys, and they have lower profile foam so more air exchange happens... close enough fit that you get a lot of protection and increased humidity, but not sealed in.

Some people are also really bothered by the tunnel vision feel you get with things like Onion goggles and though obviously that's not a dry eye issue, factors like that will contribute to the sensation of 'being worse' while wearing them.

I sure agree with spmcc about lacrilube. Just about the only thing around when I first got dry eye (in England).
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I tried swim goggles, which worked surprisingly well (for indoor use with the computer)...except they fog up. Is there any brand of the goggles promoted on dryeyezone that do not fog up. Overall, these tips really do help me, so I am thankful this site is here!

Comment

I find fogging frustratingly hard to predict or prevent. I know people who fog up in, say, 7Eye or Wiley-X glasses even when the foam eyecup is not in them. Others who who get only minimal fogging even when completely closed in. So personally I couldn't say this frame or that frame won't fog. But glasses with some kind of vent or not sealing to the skin have a better chance at least.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. The goggles should be a huge help for me!
                  Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                  I find fogging frustratingly hard to predict or prevent. I know people who fog up in, say, 7Eye or Wiley-X glasses even when the foam eyecup is not in them. Others who who get only minimal fogging even when completely closed in. So personally I couldn't say this frame or that frame won't fog. But glasses with some kind of vent or not sealing to the skin have a better chance at least.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the chat about goggles. The Irish lady has found a better optician who helped her get comfortable wraparounds and she wears them outdoors, which seems to be a big help, although she is coming to terms with having dry eyes and trying different lubricants. She had not been covering her eyes at night so hopefully that will help too. I printed this thread off for her and she will try to get the grandchildren to help her join us on DryEyeTalk.

Comment

Hello again from Eire. The lady would like to ask if anyone has the same problem that they can watch TV for a short while but then the TV screen goes completely bright and white so she can't see the picture any more?

Her Prof says she has severe dry eye and some scarring from refractive surgery long ago. She uses Restasis 2/day and Hyloforte ongoing. She has dry mouth and thyroid dysfunction and her eyes are much worse after, eg, getting her hair coloured, and winter heating is driving her crazy. She wears wraparounds all the time outside now and has started around the house (dumped the onion goggles). Can't tolerate lenses. But she is mainly asking us about the difficulty watching TV (she doesn't use the computer), hoping she can find someone who shares the symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                      X