Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisture Chamber Glasses/Goggles (user feedback please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture Chamber Glasses/Goggles (user feedback please)

Hello... I work on a computer 9 hours a day. i'm a SW programmer.
    Quitting my job to be void of computers is not an option.

I personally don't care what I look like w/ eyewear on so i'm looking for the best options for dry eye sufferers and computer use.

i'm looking at the 7eye AirShield/AirDam and the WileyX goggles. they are often mentioned here.

I would love a pair that I could wear both at work and at home if necessary. Any that offer the computer tint on them? to reduce strain that is?

The WIley X SG1 looks good but it looks like I has openings where air can get in. I assume it's for ventilation.

Do you know of good Moisture Chamber glasses that don't have fogging issues or that have worked really well for you guys who do use the computer for long periods of time due to work?

Thanks.

and price is not an option. I know w/ a prscription that these things can go upwards of 500-800 dollars. If it works though, that's what matters to me.

If you can't find moisture chamber glasses locally what I did when I got my moisture chamber goggles was to contact a company online called Safety Vision. They sent me 6 or 7 pairs of frames to try. I put them on my visa and they refunded the visa when I returned them. I then sent my prescription and they made the glasses for me. I will say though that my favorite style are the Brick but for some reason the prescription for far sighted reading has never been good enough to use for anything more than reading labels and menus. The clear ones that I got are Air Rage and I can work on the computer with those ones. I don't know if it is the curvature on the Bricks or what but I don't recommend them for computer use for that reason if you are farsighted. Maybe if you were nearsighted that wouldn't be an issue I don't know but I have had 3 pairs of them and although the last pair was the best, still not good enough for long term use.

What is really important is to make sure that they fit your face. I met a lady of Asian decent who tried my wileys and they totally did not fit her as her forehead was too flat for the curvature of the frame, so you never know until you have tried them.

I will say that the Wileys without a dark lens to hide the gasket are not pretty, I call mine my raccoon glasses so don't plan on wearing them in any beauty contests.

To answer your other question, I think that all of the moisture chambers will have provisions for ventilation. In my case I use Sookwang crafting tape to cover them as even those vents let in too much draft for me. The sookwang lasts a long time, like a year so it is the best I have found. Occasionally I do have an issue with moisture, mostly when taking off in the car where the outside air is colder than the air inside my glasses. I just pull them away from my face a bit until it equalizes if and when that happens.

Having said all that I will say that they have been a lifesaver for me and I will probably never be without them...good luck....cheers...F/G

Comment

Hi,

I just bought the Wiley-X AirRage "goggles" and they seem to be working pretty well although they do fog up at home. However, when I am in a climate controlled environment (library, classroom, store, etc) they hardly ever fog.

Mike

Comment

great feedback.. thanks.

farmgirl alluded to something that would be of concern to me.... are certain styles less apt to prescription lenses?

have some of you other folks used the 7eye or wiley x products w/ prescriptions and no issues?

thanks in advance.

stupid question, but a general one and the sole purpose one would get these things, but... how much better did your quality of life increase with the glasses/goggles for you computer users? was it a night and day difference, like you can't even see yourself w/out these glasses when using the computer in an office setting?

Comment

Originally posted by DryInUpstateNY View Post

farmgirl alluded to something that would be of concern to me.... are certain styles less apt to prescription lenses?

have some of you other folks used the 7eye or wiley x products w/ prescriptions and no issues?
          I tried a pair of Ziena's that fit my face really well. They seem like they would be easier to fit for a prescription. I don't use the computer except for personal use so I defer to the experts for that, but I can tell you that any time my eyes are feeling bad at home and I revert to the clear goggles I can tell the difference almost immediately, even for walking around where the air movement I create from walking is enough to give me grief.

I did find this thread on DEZ which might be helpful http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ent-glasses%29

Comment

I wear Wiley-X AirRage and I like them.
            But, I have small face so I think it is the only option for me.

But unfortunately the replaceable cartridges you can buy when the foam gets old aren't as thick as the originals, so they don't fit as well.

Comment

I'm not an optician but I've done quite a bit of study on the subject of "base curves". My understanding is that for most moisture chamber glasses, the lens is fairly flat? (not much of a curve other than the prescription curve...in other words, the opposite of a wraparound style) The more plus your prescription (farsighted people), the greater base curve you need in your lens for optimal vision. And the more minus your prescription, the flatter you want the lens for the best vision. So, farmgirl, are perhaps the moisture chamber base curves too flat for your prescription?

Comment

Hello... I work on a computer 9 hours a day. i'm a SW programmer.
                Quitting my job to be void of computers is not an option.

I personally don't care what I look like w/ eyewear on so i'm looking for the best options for dry eye sufferers and computer use.

i'm looking at the 7eye AirShield/AirDam and the WileyX goggles. they are often mentioned here.

I would love a pair that I could wear both at work and at home if necessary. Any that offer the computer tint on them? to reduce strain that is?

The WIley X SG1 looks good but it looks like I has openings where air can get in. I assume it's for ventilation.

Do you know of good Moisture Chamber glasses that don't have fogging issues or that have worked really well for you guys who do use the computer for long periods of time due to work?

Thanks.

and price is not an option. I know w/ a prscription that these things can go upwards of 500-800 dollars. If it works though, that's what matters to me.
                I recently purchased Wiley-X CURVE (Climate Control Series) for SMALLER FACES. They have them in different sizes, read the description. I'm wearing them right now. Two days of wearing them all day/night indoors, enough ventilation to prevent fogging, yet enough to keep my eyes relatively comfortable with these horrible drying effects Bandage Contact Lenses I must wear.

I got the lenses light-adjusting grey. For me, the light grey tint is perfect for wearing indoors in natural or artificial lighting.

Also, the light grey tint really helps reduce eye strain from the computer brightness; my eyes have always been extremely sensitive to any type of lighting. I wouldn't wear these outdoors as they don't darken enough for my eyes.

I have to wear Bandage Contact Lenses right now, they do have correction to them & I needed something ASAP & really had no option to go out trying different moisture retaining glasses so I ordered online.

IF you order online, make sure to be specific about shipping! I got the United States Postal Service Priority mail because it said 2-3 days delivery. It took 7 business days (not counting the weekend!) USPS Priority mail says the delivery date of 2-3 days IS NOT guaranteed!

The Wiley's do say you can get prescription lenses either ordered from them directly or on your own. Probably best to get them without prescription lenses to see if they fit.

Personally, I don't think the frames suit my face shape. That I don't care about right now. I just needed something NOW. So, if you need something NOW, I like the Wiley's Tinted Grey Light Adjusting type costs $144.00. But if you need correction, I don't think you would need to spend $600.00-800.00!

The plain clear lenses were $90.00, if you took them to an optical center with a prescription, I would get the the Progressive Transition Lenses made for full sun exposure. That's what I have as regular sunglasses. The tint indoors is light grey, great for reducing the bright glare of computer, TV, indoor lighting, AND they turn completely dark outdoors. The exposure of UV lighting on the lens itself determines how dark the lenses get. I wear a hat outdoors so it doesn't get black.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by Almondiyz; 01-Oct-2013, 12:31. Reason: oops

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu70 View Post
                  So, farmgirl, are perhaps the moisture chamber base curves too flat for your prescription?
                  Just had a good look at them and I think you might be right. I just assumed it was because of the wrap around fit but like you said the lenses are really quite flat. I had never examined them that close. Whatever the reason I seem to have problems getting the reading part on the bricks to work really well with my prescription (far sighted).

Comment

Many of the Wileys are safety rated. All parts of the frame will say Z87 on them and the lenses are usually monogrammed. Plastic lenses must be 3mm thick at the thinnest point but most safety lenses are made of polycarbonate which is naturally shatter proof and only has to be 2mm at the thinnest.

All Wileys are wrap frames which limit the Rx range they will hold. The general rule is the more myopic the less likely to work. Wiley won't go past -5 and even that is pushing it. Wrap lenses are almost always digitally ground.

Different people react differently to wrap lenses. Some adapt better than others with the common experience being tunnel vision. The thickness of the lenses does not affect the Rx as much as the wrap.

Some opticians will do regular thickness lenses at patient's request if they are not needed for safety.

(Source: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=brother FYI This is an old thread about how Wileyx glasses require safety lenses)

Comment

ok. thanks for all the info folks.

that being said, it sounds like an optician could work w/ me if I ordered the frames and requested the lenses be constructed/corrected? is this a correct assumption I've made from the posts above?

Comment

that being said, it sounds like an optician could work w/ me if I ordered the frames and requested the lenses be constructed/corrected? is this a correct assumption I've made from the posts above?
                        Yes, the Wiley's I have my opthalmologist said I can get them in my prescription. I got the grey lens tint light adjusting w/o prescription to wear with my Rx corrective Bandage Contact Lenses (BCL's). Probably will be also getting the $90.00 clear version to take to add corrective lenses.

Comment

If you buy the Wiley brand, you have to take them to a optical shop that sells that brand. Go to the Wiley website, look at some of their Climate Control glasses. Then you locate a dealer near you so you can try them on, then ship it off to have the corrective lens made. You have to wear the glasses for the proper measurements. In my situation, the optical shop doesn't carry the Wiley Curve for small faces so I bought them here. I need one without corrective lenses because my Bandage Contact Lenses are corrective. I need another pair without correction for the days that my BCL's aren't in. My eyes are too dry not to wear these climate control glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu70 View Post
                            I'm not an optician but I've done quite a bit of study on the subject of "base curves". My understanding is that for most moisture chamber glasses, the lens is fairly flat? (not much of a curve other than the prescription curve...in other words, the opposite of a wraparound style) The more plus your prescription (farsighted people), the greater base curve you need in your lens for optimal vision. And the more minus your prescription, the flatter you want the lens for the best vision. So, farmgirl, are perhaps the moisture chamber base curves too flat for your prescription?
                            Sorry to hijack this post... Yesterday I called an optical store that sell Wiley's. I called them after contacting the main Wiley Company. The optician said that the Wiley's are sent to a specific lab that makes the corrective lenses.

I asked a bunch of questions regarding Rx that can be replaced as a lens. I was told that when there is a a prescription that needs special correction, what they do at the lab is keep the original Wiley lens in, then they insert inside the glasses a lens that fit over the Wiley non-corrective lens.

I need bifocal correction, too. That's why I have 'special needs' corrective lenses. I was also told that the same lens types such as progressives no-line bifocals, transition light changing, thin, Crizal, ect., were available. Starting to sound expensive. Haven't got an estimated price quote yet. *sigh*

He was trying to explain to me that the Wiley's I own, Wiley-X CURVE (Climate Control Series) the lens is one of those that an inserted corrective lens is used.

Comment

Working...
                            X