This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
    Dear L8rgator: If you are trying to stick the foam to the rim I use Inkessentials Glossy Accents, again available at crafting stores. www.rangerink.com Place the foam where it should go and don't disturb it for at least an hour.
    Awesome. I'm trying many different things so both items will come in handy. I bought a cart full of stuff at amazon to play with, and have been looking at various safety and motorcycle glasses to see if I can build something custom to fit my odd face. The airrage still seems to be the closest shape, so I'm excited to try the thicker stock foam replacement on that when it comes available again. I also ordered some silicone goo ("Dragon Skin") to play with. At a minimum, at least this will be an entertaining project

Since I only have one bad eye, I'm also going to see if I can somehow customize a "Poggle Eye Patch" to have a clear screen in it. The shape looks more comfy and stable than other patches I've used , which constantly pulling out of my good eye.

Comment

No wonder Wiley X Airage never felt as 'comfortable' as the older Airborne I'd been wearing, but I preferred the style of Airage and felt less dorkier wearing them (more confident). I had no idea they had made the foam thinner. Perhaps they were trying to make them look more trendier and fashionable? But for us, we need a proper seal. So without knowing the foam was thinner, I went and bought 3 pairs of Airage, spent $300 to have the lens replaced for computer use (anti-glare) on one of them and bought 5 Airage foam inserts in case they stop making them. Well, I guess the $700 was spent for nothing. It's a windy day today and Airage won't cut it. What a disappointment, more money wasting with dry eye!!

One question if anyone knows it? When they decided to make the foam thinner, did they change the size/structure of the actual glasses?
      Last edited by DCRdryeye; 04-Nov-2013, 08:09.

Comment

For those asking about BRICK, sorry I didn't reply sooner (flu). They confirmed they are getting both AirRage and Brick ORIGINAL gaskets, but between lead times and Chinese new year it sounds like it will not be till February at least. But, at least they will be getting them which I am so relieved at. Once I've got a firm date I will add them to the shop and old and new will both be available listed separately. I assume Wiley will be selling both (haven't confirmed that) though it may take a phone call rather than internet.

DCRdryeye, no, they did not change the frames (nor the size of the gasket). Re: your 5 extra foam inserts: I can't remember offhand but I'm thinking you got those from me, if so please email me. I'll refund them or replace them. What a nuisance esp. for non US folks who have to deal with customs etc. If I'd only known, I could have given people a heads up. Sigh. Reminds me I've got to go put a note on the wiley section of the shop so those who haven't heard won't make the same mistake.

I LOVE the discussions about adding foam manually to glasses… keep it up… we need to know these tips & tricks & products!!
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Well, got my shiny new Wiley X AirRage's with the new lower-profile foam. For vanity's sake, I like them - they look so much more like normal sunglasses. If I shove them tightly on my face, I get a good seal, EXCEPT for at the sides where this is a sizeable gap between the foam and my head near my temples - for a wider head, it would be fine, but for my narrow face, no way.

When I walk around in my house with the new Wiley foam on, there is an uncomfortable degree of airflow. For the sake of vanity however, I'd like to try adding some foam or something onto the sides - maybe I can have the nice tight seal that I need for comfort, AND satisfy my vanity too... would be nice... I'd all but given up on vanity since starting to wear these things few years ago...

I just wrote to Wiley X via their website contact form explaining that this new lower profile foam is sooo close to perfection... they just need to make the foam thicker at the sides near the temples so it will fit narrow faces better. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyhow, I know they are making the old gaskets available now, so we're all safe... but, if you're like me and you might be able to have your cake and eat it too (ie. have glasses that LOOK great, AND tightly seal around your narrow face, please write to Wiley and let them know how close they are to making the PERFECT foam gasket...

Here is a link to their support form:

http://www.wileyx.com/support/contact.aspx
          Last edited by SAAG; 04-Nov-2013, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
            Well, got my shiny new Wiley X AirRage's with the new lower-profile foam. For vanity's sake, I like them - they look so much more like normal sunglasses. If I shove them tightly on my face, I get a good seal, EXCEPT for at the sides where this is a sizeable gap between the foam and my head near my temples - for a wider head, it would be fine, but for my narrow face, no way.

When I walk around in my house with the new Wiley foam on, there is an uncomfortable degree of airflow. For the sake of vanity however, I'd like to try adding some foam or something onto the sides - maybe I can have the nice tight seal that I need for comfort, AND satisfy my vanity too... would be nice... I'd all but given up on vanity since starting to wear these things few years ago...

I just wrote to Wiley X via their website contact form explaining that this new lower profile foam is sooo close to perfection... they just need to make the foam thicker at the sides near the temples so it will fit narrow faces better. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyhow, I know they are making the old gaskets available now, so we're all safe... but, if you're like me and you might be able to have your cake and eat it too (ie. have glasses that LOOK great, AND tightly seal around your narrow face, please write to Wiley and let them know how close they are to making the PERFECT foam gasket...

Here is a link to their support form:

http://www.wileyx.com/support/contact.aspx
            In my face the biggest gaps are near the temples either. But near the nose it doesn't fit as well as the thicker foam. So in my opinion, for functional purposes, the thinner foam makes Wiley-X far away from perfection. They work like a usual sunglasses.
            I think they have changed to a thinner foam because that is the way the glasses looks more like a normal glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
              I think they have changed to a thinner foam because that is the way the glasses looks more like a normal glasses.
              Yes, I agree. That is probably exactly what prompted the change.

I was just salivating over how close they came to good looking glasses that were also very functional from a protection standpoint...

Oh well, maybe I can master the art of glueing foam to foam to widen the temple area on the new foam just right... then I'll have my cake and eat it too! It'll be my arts and crafts project for the winter haha. In the meantime, I'll stick with my old thicker foam gasket since i need the protection more than I need the good looks... sob!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                Good news! Wiley has thankfully done a 180 and they are going to continue providing original "thick" AirRage gaskets after all. I don't know timing or details yet but I'll let you know.
                Hi Rebecca. I think Wiley-X is not doing the thicker one anymore. At least I can't find it on the web. I need for the airage model. Do you know something about it?

Comment

bakunin, I noticed she has help in the shop now https://www.dryeyeshop.com/storefront.aspx
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi Bakunin - I'm sorry, I just now heard this today from a customer too, that Wiley are not going to make any more thicker inserts. I'm afraid there's little I can do about it as I don't buy from them anymore so I don't really have any potential clout

I am curious to know if any Wiley AirRage users have switched to the 7Eye Viento (their smallest model - which used to have a fixed eyecup but now has a removable gasket). I was just taking some pictures of one today... the Viento does not have a super deep eyecup like some of the other 7Eye AirShield models but because I don't have an AirRage here, I can't do a direct comparison...
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                      Hi Bakunin - I'm sorry, I just now heard this today from a customer too, that Wiley are not going to make any more thicker inserts. I'm afraid there's little I can do about it as I don't buy from them anymore so I don't really have any potential clout

I am curious to know if any Wiley AirRage users have switched to the 7Eye Viento (their smallest model - which used to have a fixed eyecup but now has a removable gasket). I was just taking some pictures of one today... the Viento does not have a super deep eyecup like some of the other 7Eye AirShield models but because I don't have an AirRage here, I can't do a direct comparison...
                      Thank you Rebecca.

That costumer was me )

I wrote you in case you didn't see this thread.

For what i saw in pictures, Viento eyecup (foam + plastic) is thicker than the new thinner Wiley-X eyecup.

Comment

I have the Wiley X Airrage sunglasses and I just ordered the CLEAR ones from the website. I did not realize the foam cups has changed I am hoping they will still work. Does anyone have the new design ? I get the clear ones on Monday. If they do not work, I guess I will send them back.

Comment

Working...
                        X