Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyewear recommendations for the office

Hi all

Would really appreciate some advice on what glasses would be best for work.

I'm on the computer all day and the air at work is quite dusty so I'm getting to a point where I am considering leaving my job because it feels like an endurance test to get through the day and many days I have to come home early.

I tried having a humidifier at work but it made absolutely no difference. The constant comments and jokes (haha) didn't bother me, if it helped 10% I would use it.

I've just purchased black framed Ziena Oasis glasses and I look like a bit like Velma from Scooby Doo. I know these sort of glasses aren't designed to be overly attractive but I don't want to be laughed at all day and we get a lot of people coming in and out the office, I just don't have the confidence to let people think I think I look good in them. Maybe that sounds shallow but they REALLY look silly on me. I wear my 7EYE Airshield sunglasses out an about no problem.

Any suggestions?

Lizlou, I did a google image search on the ziena glasses and saw a woman wearing them. I didn't think she looked bad at all in them. In fact, I think they are a bit retro and funky and if I didn't have such a high prescription and small face, I would be wearing them myself.

Ever seen those women who can wear the weird outfit or the unusual hairstyle and look fabulous because because they appear confident? I know it is hard, but perhaps this experience can teach you to be THAT woman. I saw a blog once where a makeup artist showed a woman with dry eye who could no longer wear eye makeup how she could play up her hair, skin, and lips to bring out her best features. Maybe all you need is a little inspiration and creativity.

I know I didn't answer your question, just trying to give you some encouragement. : ) Don't think that you have to wear the zienas all the time in the office, either--keep your "pretty" glasses around in case you have to attend a meeting or something, if it makes you feel better.

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
    Hi all

Would really appreciate some advice on what glasses would be best for work.

I'm on the computer all day and the air at work is quite dusty so I'm getting to a point where I am considering leaving my job because it feels like an endurance test to get through the day and many days I have to come home early.

I tried having a humidifier at work but it made absolutely no difference. The constant comments and jokes (haha) didn't bother me, if it helped 10% I would use it.

I've just purchased black framed Ziena Oasis glasses and I look like a bit like Velma from Scooby Doo. I know these sort of glasses aren't designed to be overly attractive but I don't want to be laughed at all day and we get a lot of people coming in and out the office, I just don't have the confidence to let people think I think I look good in them. Maybe that sounds shallow but they REALLY look silly on me. I wear my 7EYE Airshield sunglasses out an about no problem.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. The glasses cover about half my face though so they really do look comical on me. I don't mind glasses that look a bit different if they are helping but these really look like joke glasses on me. I saw photos of them on other women and I thought they looked fine.

I am thinking perhaps these from Rebecca's shop http://www.dryeyeshop.com/7eye-chura...stal-p403.aspx

As I have the 7Eye sunglasses I know they fit.

Hopefully when I eventually get the scleral lenses they may help a bit.

Comment

I meant to say the 7eye with clear frame option of course.

I do have prescription glasses but my optician thinks I use them too much and my eyes are becoming lazy so the 7Eye would be good for work when I need more protection from the dusty environment.

Comment

Maybe some can help here but this happened to me when I ordered dry eye "sunglasses" and put in the clear lenses. It was a sports type of sunglass so they would only put in the heavier plastic lens, which caused the plastic lens to extend beyond the frame. Something about liability issues.

At that point it looked like airplane goggles. Definitely check with customer service and see if they can put in a thinner high index type of lens, or whatever they use nowadays. These are cute--good luck!

Comment

My eye doc says the shop in his office can fill prescriptions for regular and bifocal glasses with seals, and that they don't look bad. (Kind of like my Harley sunglasses, he said.) I haven't been in to look at them yet, but will let you know what is there. He also said that my insurance should pay for the glasses because of my dry eye diagnosis.

Comment

Hi lizlou,

One option that won't be noticeable is getting custom moisture chamber glasses made - they take a regular pair of eyeglasses and put a clear barrier around them to seal them to your face. It's pricey, but good for vanity's sake http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/entry...e-chamber-pics

Option 2- I've been wearing my sunglasses version of my Wiley X AirRage's to work. They don't go with business attire one bit, and I work with the public, but I wear them anyways. (Why do I wear them instead of my custom ones? The Wiley's seal better around my eyes - so I save my custom ones for going out in the dark when I don't want the goggly look of the clear lens Wiley's... can't wear sunglasses in the dark, right?) Anyhow, the good thing about the sunglasses Wiley's is that sunglasses tend to tip people off that you are wearing them because something is wrong with your eyes - no-one will ever think you're wearing them because you are deluded and think they are cool (so no embarrassment factor, which is nice). People often ask what why I'm wearing them, but they're nice about it.

Comment

Argh I wrote my response and lost it somehow. Thanks everyone. SAAG those glasses look great. I will look into custom made glades ASAP. Unfortunately I've spent so much money on all things dry eye related that I have to be quite wary of cost now but then if something helps me to continue working then it's worth it.

Having mixed communication with my GP, rheumy and Endo at the moment. Only accidentally found out through nurse when I went for TSH test that my liver enzymes are "out of whack" and no one had told me though it had been flagged up for further investigation. Got to wait for GP to get back from holiday now. Think there is also problems with my care being part NHS and part private. Worried now that's it's the doxycycline that has caused problems as that's the only med I have taken in a while. Very painful swollen lids so this is a short post but I really appreciate everyone's input x

Comment

Working...
                X