Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisture Chamber glasses question (complete seals).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture Chamber glasses question (complete seals).

it's virtually impossible to get a complete seal, correct?

I tried on a few pairs of wiley x glasses and w/ each of them there is at least one spot that leaves a small gap (millimeters wide).

it's normal to have a slight gap, correct? It's impossible for a truly air tight seal, but you can get VERY close.

is this good enough. I've found that for me, forced air is killing me in the office setting.

Thanks for feedback in advance.

I think alot of people like to have a slight gap. Without it you are foggy. And eyes do require oxygen, so some fresh air is important. If you keep up with the drops also, your eyes might be fine with a close fit.

That wasn't good enough for me. I tried probably about 20-25 different pairs of glasses and goggles. For me the best fitting glasses (at least that I could see through) were the WileyX airrage -and those didn't even come close to a seal. I bought tranquileyes replacement foam, and glued chunks of that in the major gaps. And I'd keep a few drops of water inside the foam to help humidify the chamber. Better but still not good enough for me, because I needed a truly tight seal or the pain was excruciating.

Comment

None of the WileyX provided a tight seal for me, but 7eye by Panoptx did. It's a thicker, ventilated seal.

Comment

Man,

I use Oakley Wind Jacket and it leaves no gaps. My face is very thin. Other glasses always leave gaps at the sides.

For those who have the thinnest face still has the WInd Jacket "asian fit". It seems that it is even lower. It is sold on ebay.

If fog lenses, you can use the FogTech.

Comment

7eye vs. Wiley = as of June 2014, it seems the gaskets of the 7eye are far superior - Rebecca (or anyone else) are the old Wiley gaskets still readily available, and are the 7eye ones still better overall than those? I have been wearing "the Cape" and its eyecup is almost perfect for my face (just a little small) but the new 7eye foam does not irritate. Before I pull the trigger though on a pair, I was hoping to hear from some Wiley wearers...

Comment

The old (deeper) Wiley gaskets are available for the AirRage, Brick and... eeps, memory fails me but there are 3 framestyles if I remember right. They are not listed on their website (wileyx.com) but if you call them you can get them - just ask for your glasses to be sent with the thick/original gasket. Hopefully they will add them to the website.

So frustrating, one of my more cherished plans for the spring was making a really good guide to moisture chamber eyewear covering all the products I know about with close-up pix etc... esp. as I know there are several things that aren't listed online yet but are available. For example 7Eye is making airshield glasses with ready-made plus lenses in them which is absolutely terrific. Alas haven't been able to do anything i wanted. But thought I'd share a couple of random thoughts here while I'm thinking about it:

I personally think both Wiley and 7Eye have some great products for dry eye... major differences between them though and each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

7Eye have better styling and colors IMO - everything by Wiley tends to be variations on the theme of black since they are mostly focused on the military market. But some of the Wiley frames are excellent.

The best small, tight-fitting seals for people with smaller faces are WileyX AirRage and 7Eye Viento (the latter is an obsolete model that they brought back).

I used to hate the new 7eye foam that they had to put on a lot of the models after the Wiley/7Eye patent lawsuit. Then... I actually bothered to WEAR some 7Eyes long enough to decide if they were as bad as I thought they were. Guess I just thought they were flimsy looking/feeling. Lo and behold I actually find them somewhat more skin friendly than the traditional foam. I've been wearing, hm, I think it's a Diablo, in "sinister blue" which my daughter is always teasing me about, almost fulltime lately. I actually don't like to wear anything with foam all that much and would prefer the Ziena which I totally love BUT I have too much light sensitivity especially in my icky sticky eye to wear them this time of the year.

Re: seals, a complete seal IS possible - but it's all about the shape of the frame so you may have to try on many - and don't forget the strap because that will really tighten things up too. I find that fogging varies a LOT from person to person. I've known people who got the tightest frame they could and then filled in the vent gaps with silicon to maximize protection. Some people can't seem to cope at all without a 100% seal while others do great with a vent gap - even if they have 0 unanaesthetized schirmer. Hard to figure out all the whys and wherefores - just have to experiment. For those who require Rx though it's a lot harder as there's no really practical way to experiment with different frames.

DryInUpstate - yes a certain amount of gap is normal and usually works fine. But we're talking small gap - not like you can get your hand in the gap.

Rebecca

p.s. Next week, appt with MD to explore (gritting teeth) surgery options for my left NLD, and appt to hopefully get a new custom lens for my right eye. Wish me luck I really need life to get back to relative normal sooner rather than later.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              p.s. Next week, appt with MD to explore (gritting teeth) surgery options for my left NLD, and appt to hopefully get a new custom lens for my right eye. Wish me luck I really need life to get back to relative normal sooner rather than later.
              Fingers and toes crossed for you.... difficult to walk now

Comment

Today I was in the city for another check up and 'tweak' of my Sclerals (never ending). I didn't realize I had taken my Wiley X AirRage with the thinner gasket and it's winter here 10 degrees in the city and the wind KILLED me despite having sclerals (the wind still hurts the uncovered sclera and eyelids). Thanks to L8gator I do have several pairs of thicker gaskets for AirRage (Wiley X in the USA don't ship internationally). I will definitely try other brands.

All the very best with your MD for the surgery options for that obstructed NLD Rebecca, please do let us know what you discovered and what you might go with. Are you getting your right new custom Scleral from BFS?...

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                  Are you getting your right new custom Scleral from BFS?...
                  Thanks for the good wishes.. No, not BFS. Not from any lack of confidence mind you: I've worn PROSE successfully for many years and recommend them unreservedly to anyone in similar circumstances! it's mostly a matter of finances. Isn't it great that there are people out there who pursue specialties off the beaten track in order to help people like us? BFS who have helped so many over the years with a vast range of conditions, and DrG, my longtime hero near Dallas, in whom I have unbounded confidence and never hesitate to recommend for challenging lens situations. Speaking of whom, DrG has an excellent new website for those who don't know.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Nice to hear a recommendation for Dr. G from you Rebecca. I am seriously considering him and his services as an option for me (seems to be the most affordable and best reviewed) - - - and thanks again to all of the info provided by l8rgator and the others here who have been fitted by him.

And yes, good luck with your possible surgery option - btw, do you have a really good eye doctor up in the Seattle area there?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                      btw, do you have a really good eye doctor up in the Seattle area there?
                      Yes and no....

I have a terrific OD (Paul Jensen over in Renton - he also runs a unique shared dry eye clinic in Bellevue for ODs and MDs).

I've never really connected with a corneaMD here though. Frankly I think Dr Jensen's better than a lot of corneaMDs... plus, since moving here I've never really had any of the types of problems that would be bad enough to motivate me to go through the un-fun of doctor shopping. However ODs can't do surgery sooooo I finally had to bite the bullet. I'm seeing Dr. Wu from UW next week (he's the only one my current insurance will cover).
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                      X