misc moisture chamber updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misc moisture chamber updates

FYI last Friday at Vision West I saw the prototypes of 2 new ziena models coming out. I am really pleased with the men's model - good design, in fact I think it will do well as a unisex model (I would wear it myself!) and the smaller women's model should fit pretty well for *most* ladies who find the current Ziena too large. (There's always going to be extremes at both ends of the spectrum that these won't fit.)

Other new things from 7Eye (I haven't had time to add them to my shop yet - hoping to get this complete in the next couple of days - meantime though you can get these things from 7eye.com or by calling them)
    - Bora with built-in readers!! I love this idea, it sure beats either the stick-on readers or shelling out $$$ to put a bifocal in. Men's style.
    - Briza in a pretty new plum sort of color. It's a bit stripy like the Briza tortoise. Very attractive.
    - Viento (oldtimers will remember this one!) is baaack. Great frame for SMALL faces, female and (sometimes) male. Built-in eyecup not replaceable but can be re-foamed for a small fee by the manufacturer.

I also saw the SMALL version of Tranquileyes moisture release glasses for the first time. (Like Ziena Oasis, the original tends to be large for a lot of ladies.) This one can take up to -4 Rx (similar to what other moisture chambers can do). Apropos of the discussions about Asian faces lately - good one IMO because of straight-across design and flexible bridge. They will not have more available till sometime in October but for those who have difficulty getting a good close seal you might want to keep this one in mind.

I took a look at some Rudy Project moisture chambers. I know it's a great name and everything but to be honest I didn't think the frame or eyecup were worth the higher price, compared with Wiley and 7Eye. I know there's a lot of fans here though so I'd love to hear what I'm missing that's great about those ones. (talking about the ones with removeable eyecup).
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Thank you for the great info Rebecca. The Zienna for guys does sound intriguing to me. I noticed too that 7Eye now had built in readers for not just the Bora, as well as some of their other frames. Do you happen to know if the standard (larger) Tranquileyes moisture release glasses will also take an Rx? Curious, what is your opinion on those (assuming you have tried them)?

re: Rudy Project
    I did try their "Guardian" and didn't find it to be that great of a design, at least as far as the seal factor went. They are also way overpriced!

One maker/style of frame that I haven't seen mentioned here is Liberty Sport (aka Rec Specs). They have 2 different frames that accommodate a dry eye cup magnetic insert. I posted this recently in another thread, but here is some info: Liberty Sport "Trailblazer" - has a removable magnetic dry eye cup insert, and fits me perfectly, with or without the cups in place. For smaller faces, they also make a similar frame called the "Rider" which is basically the same deal, just with a slightly smaller frame and eyesize. The gaskets in either case are made of a soft rubber, as opposed to the foam used in the Wiley and 7Eye. I actually prefer it.
    http://www.sporteyes.com/rec-specs-rider.html

Definitely worth trying on (if you can find them locally that is) and prefer a non-foam gasket.
    Last edited by MGD666; 22-Sep-2014, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
      Do you happen to know if the standard (larger) Tranquileyes moisture release glasses will also take an Rx? Curious, what is your opinion on those (assuming you have tried them)?
      Just learned last week that they can take Rx but lower (up to -3 I guess?). It's a good product. Not one of my favorites but I think that has more to do with the pricing than the product. Personal bias maybe but if I'm going to drop ~$100 for a pair of glasses I like the frame to feel really sturdy like 7Eye/Wileyx types. However, TQ MREs have unique features nobody else has - the moisture release inserts, and the ability to bend the frame. Now that I know they're all Rxable that makes a difference to how likely I would be to recommend them.

One maker/style of frame that I haven't seen mentioned here is Liberty Sport (aka Rec Specs).
      Darnit that's the other one I was going to look for at Vision West but must have forgotten. I've known quite a few people who love those and I need to get some to try them out. Thanks for mentioning.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X