tear break-up time and moisture chambers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tear break-up time and moisture chambers

Apologies for placing my subject-matter thread of yesterday in the Welcome section . . I am a klutz in these matters. . .Did want to add, here, that there seems to be good evidence that mechanical eye surface protection (as in a moisture chamber or tight wrap-around) actually may prolong the health of our corneas. . .When I was a patient of Dr. S. Tseng (formerly of Bascom Palmer), he carefully documented that for a stretch of time AFTER wearing my moisture chamber glasses, my tear break-up time was much better than it is without the glasses. . .Since I wear the glasses nearly 24/7, I am essentially extending my tear break-up time round the clock, which may save my corneas. . .(Without the glasses, my break-up time has been between 0 sec. and 5 sec. for the past 8 years.) I bring this up because it goes along well with the subjective relief I get from round-the-clock protection. . .My sense is that people with evaporative dry do not try this solution often enough . . .On the other hand, I am FASCINATED with the way that scleral lenses are coming on to the scene for us, these days. . .8 years ago, when I sought these out, I was in a tiny minority, as a non-Stevens-Johnson sufferer, in pursuing them (I did not ultimately get fitted, at that time). . .I celebrate that the Boston Scleral Lens team has extended their miracle more broadly all the time. .. As Rebecca said, they are geniuses, and great, great human beings. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Originally posted by Rojzen
    My sense is that people with evaporative dry do not try this solution often enough . . .
    Absolutely!! Moisture chambers/protective eyewear are arguably the most under-utilized tools for managing severe chronic dry eye. I hope that everyone here who has benefitted from eyewear - and for that matter any other products & treatments that they have learned about somewhere other than from their doctor - tells their doctor about it. The more patients they hear from who are benefitting, the most likely they are to investigate for themselves and start recommending products that can truly help.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Ladies

On this note...how easy is it to get moisture chambers in US? I cannot get them in UK or anywhere in Europe so am planning a trip to US, possibly Boston, being the closest city to UK and so the shortest journey. Do I need to make an appointment to see an optician or can I buy them over the counter from an optical store or drug store? Also, is there anything else you can suggest I buy when I am there? I have chronic dry eye, I have no natural lubrication whatsoever, cannot blink and cannot close my eye fully. This follows Bells Palsy 17 months ago. I have to lubricate with drops and ointment and cover when going out and at night. Thank you....

Comment

Hi Everybody

I am travelling to Boston in April. Does anybody know if it is possible to buy Celluvisc drops and Lacri-lube ointment over the counter without a prescription in Boston? Travelling from UK with liquid medication is quite difficult so it would be great if I could buy it while there.

Thank you everybody.

Regards

Linda

Comment

Linda,
          Should be no reason you couldn't find them both at the local Walmart or pharmacy. I thought you could carry liquids in checked bags, or is the U.K. an exception ?
          It changes all the time, who knows in April what it will be.

Comment

Celluvisc is readily available. If you don't find Lacrilube look for Refresh PM (actually, pretty much anything else with "PM" in the name will be the same thing - petrolatum and mineral oil).

You'll see FAR more over-the-counter lubricants on the shelves in the American pharmacies than in the UK. You might want to take the opportunity to try out some new ones....
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Ladies. That has put my mind at ease.

Best regards

Linda

Comment

moisture chambers: book ahead

Custom moisture chambers definitely require planning ahead. . .Way too few optical shoppes make them. . .Bascom Palmer, in Miami, Scott Kornfeld, on Long Island/NY, and a few others on the West Coast and maybe D.C., can make them. . .but appointments are needed. . .HarryPotter will be in great shape if he/she can get Panoptyx in his/her Rx. . .Still, finding a Panoptyx dealer requires planning ahead. . .I have worn custom moisture chambers for nearly 8 years. . .They're great. .but I tried Panoptyx on, last week, and was swooning with joy. . .though saddened to learn that they cannot be made in my Rx. . .They produce a great seal. . .and look just gorgeous. . .Don't know if Rx gets distorted in them, though. . .possibly a little, and more so as Rx gets stronger. . .Anyway, finding a dealer/technician to make up the moisture chambers or Panoptyx is essential, as these are still not common in the optical marketplace. . .
                <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
                X