Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prescription Safety/Moisture Chamber Glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Safety/Moisture Chamber Glasses?

http://www.safevision.net/sportglass...link_lead.html

Does anyone have any recommendations for prescription safety glasses with moisture chamber gaskets? I need them for outdoor work on our five acres. I have been using safety glasses that fit over my regular glasses but they don't keep out the dust, etc. I found this website (link above) and these Wiley-X look really good, but pricey?

Anyone have a fav that they could recommend to me? Please include website link, if you can.

Thanks!

Scout

i have the panoptyx, got them at my local harley dearlership, get a perscription and take with ya to the store where you buy them. they will send everything into panoptyx, and make them for ya. look to spend somewhere around 350.00 to 400.00.

Comment

Ronny's suggestion is a good one. However, there is one step missing and this is perhaps the most important step. By buying the goggles at the store and "getting a prescription" and taking it to the store to have them process the script into the lens at their "factory" there is no one measuring you for fit.

I don't mean only the fit of the frames. I mean there is no one measuring your eyes and the lens, the setting on your facial features, distance from top of lens to your vision range, etc. You can be highly disappointed by missing this step, and I don't know if there is any recourse.

For instance, I have progressive bifocals. The opt shop that is next to my ophthalmologist's office wouldn't even look at my frames on my face. I've been a customer for many years. Since this was not their frame, they were not about to "get involved." I took the frames across town to a place I'd never been befoe and had them measure me and mark the "practice lens". I made out ok, but if one was not aware of this--you're likely to get something that will NOT work for you. Even if you don't have bifocals, the measuring is something that is important. It's worth the trouble. My Panoptx cost $500, but so do my regular glasses.

Scout:One more thing, by going to a store (Harley or other sports) you can try the frames on. Very important to be able to look and feel the frame on your face. Some frames have too much of a "wrap" and will distort your prescription.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

If you are interested in overRx sunglasses - There are "cocoons"
        Sorry i hav'nt the web site but just google up cocoons and they will come up on a lot of sites
        I am awaiting these via E bay (much cheaper)
        Claims they make are - totally sealed against the elements ie wind rain etc
        They have different sizes and colours and you will need to measure your own glasses to get the right fit

Comment

For a low-cost solution, Guard Dogs' Evador II may be a good option to wear over glasses. $35

I like Wiley-X and for Rx I think that would might be my preference for outdoor work. Better side vision than Panoptx and a lot cheaper. You could get a frame with the cheapest lens ($80) and then get an Rx lens done at your own optician.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I wasn't quite clear in my original post, but I am looking for prescription safety glasses. I am also looking for moisture chamber protection for the safety glasses. There are relatively few models on the market that offer both safety and moisture protection, apparently.

Rebecca, the ones you suggested were not safety glasses. However, they do have a few and of those few there are two that are both safety glasses and goggles.http://www.guard-dogs.com/shop/index...rt=3d&cPath=34

Thanks for all your advice. This has been very helpful.

Scout

Comment

What kind of work are you doing outside? You mentioned dust....Safety glasses are typically worn for impact protection, and to limited extent, chemical splash protection. (goggles work better here) ANSI Z87.1 is the standard used to certify impact protection of lenses. Look for it if you need protection from debris that might conceivably break normal lenses. Glasses with this rating will also be designed to reist the lenses popping out (even if they don't break) and striking your eye in the event of an impact. If not, you could most likely get away with wearing regular sunglasses. Also, you could consider a polycarbonate faceshield for high-risk activities-such as chain-sawing, etc. That way, you can wear whatever glasses you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                What kind of work are you doing outside?
                Brush cutting, weed clearing, chain-sawing, digging, etc. Our property is dusty, dry, lots of rocks, lots of trees to trim and brush to clear (for fire protection) and giant clouds of dust tend to follow when cutting weeds.
                You mentioned dust....Safety glasses are typically worn for impact protection, and to limited extent, chemical splash protection. (goggles work better here) ANSI Z87.1 is the standard used to certify impact protection of lenses. Look for it if you need protection from debris that might conceivably break normal lenses. Glasses with this rating will also be designed to reist the lenses popping out (even if they don't break) and striking your eye in the event of an impact. If not, you could most likely get away with wearing regular sunglasses. Also, you could consider a polycarbonate faceshield for high-risk activities-such as chain-sawing, etc. That way, you can wear whatever glasses you like.
                I have been using the safety glasses that you can buy that fit over regular glasses. I would really like a pair of prescription safety glasses that fit more snug to my face and can also keep out the dust, with goggles added. There are several on the market and I am studying them right now. The website in my original post here seems to have the best selection of safety glasses with moisture protection goggles added. I am realizing though, that I will be paying more than I had originally thought. But it does make sense, in that I would be buying a pair of bifocal prescription safety glasses with moisture chamber goggles added. It really doesn't sound cheap.

The faceshield is a good idea but it is essentially the same thing I am using now (except it would protect the rest of my face from debris, which would be good). I will check it out and see if it is a better choice than the glasses I am using now.

Thanks,

Scout

Comment

I have used the fit-overs myself before I tried a year of contacts and was able to use "regular" safety glasses. Of course now, like you, I could use some inexpensive moisture chambers that are rated safety glasses as well. Still, for most of what you described, I think you would be okay with a pair of Wiley-X or Panoptx. As we talked about, you could always use a face shield while chain sawing. I used to use one that was integrated into a helmet with ear muffs. Worked really well. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X