Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contact Lenses and Moisture Chamber Glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Lenses and Moisture Chamber Glasses?

Under ideal conditions (high humidity, earlier in the daytime, enough sleep, etc etc) I can comfortably wear my contact lenses. Alas, I wish I could always control my environment! But under sub-optimal conditions (i.e. everywhere else that is not my home, shower, or extremely crowded club/bar) I not only cannot wear my contacts, but i get the dreadful menthol sensation.

I am a high myope, -10, so I cannot get prescription moisture chamber glasses. I would like to play sports again, go hiking, go running, etc. But my eyes get uncomfortable with so much air movement, not mention my coke bottle glasses get me dizzy when I do active things. So I wondering, would it be harmful to my eyes to wear contacts AND moisture chambers for a short periods of time, such as 2-4 hours for sports? Would my eyes not get enough oxygen w/ contacts on, or anything like that? By the way, I wear gas perms.

Thanks!

O. Talk to your doctor about that. Plenty of people wear contacts with sun glasses over them. You can also get goggles with a strap in the back for playing sports. Your doc can tell you if that would be a problem. I don't think anyone on here can give you an educated answer, unless they are an eye doctor.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Absolutely you can play sports in your contacts if you get a good pair of moisture chamber goggles. I have the same problem re: high prescription/feeling like being surrounded by fun house mirrors in my glasses. My contacts dry out in almost every situation, just like you described, but if I put on my Onion goggles, in about 15 minutes, my comfort and vision appreciably improves. I have noticed a huge difference while driving and working on my computer for long periods of time, two very challenging situations for my eyes. I think the key is to find some goggles/sunglasses that are a good snug fit. But yes, in my experience, goggles are the difference between being housebound and being active.

And I have read many people, including Dr Latkany if I remember correctly, state on this forum that a lot of oxygen can pass through the foam on the sides of moisture chamber goggles. So no fear about a lack of oxygen in the goggles. I am completely comfortable wearing them for hours at a time.

Comment

Working...
      X