Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made their own Moisture Chamber glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made their own Moisture Chamber glasses?

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere..... my burning eyeballs can't take hours of looking and reading.

I wear Panoptx all day long and they are heavy and leave indentations in my face.

Is there any way we can take a pair of regular glasses and purchase something that can make them into moisture chambers?

Do you need a particular type of frame (metal, plastic?).

Is there somewhere to order materials?

Are there any instructions?

I guess I'd like a little break from my world living inside Panoptx goggles and some days I just can't take it anymore.

Thanks!

Weatherstripping and glue. I've known 2 people who did that who were quite happy with them.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

others have made moisture chambers, if I recall

Dotanne. . .Please forgive if I'm mis-remembering, but I am going to suggest here that 20/20 Hindsight look back at your posts, because if I recall correctly, you have made moisture chamber glasses for yourself, using Eagle Vision clear plastic. . .I personally would not know how to remove and reinsert lenses securely, but this should not be impossible. . .
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Hi Hindsight and Rojzen!
        I bought the Eagle vision clear 'plastic' material after finding out a contact for Eagle Vision here in NZ(via the internet) and then found an optical technician who put it all together for me. It was a tricky job for the technician and I had to buy suitable frames so the 'plastic' could be held between the frame and the lens. I have been wearing them for nearly a year now and they are fine. They fog up occasionally after inserting drops or in hot weather. The edges of the plastic has yellowed a little. They do not give a total seal like panoptx but they are great for me and I feel a lot better when I am indoors and going out to functions as they are not very noticable. I wear them all the time and they are comfortable.
        I paid about $100 for the shield material but there is lots left for the next time I change my glasses.
        Dotanne
        When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

so gratifying

Thank you, Dotanne. . .Apologies for misrembering some details, and so glad you clarified that an optician ultimately made your chambers. . .For plastic inserts, I think that is essential. . .For something more spontaneous, like the weather stripping, home-grown skills may suffice. . .

Your experience coupled with Rebecca's mention of the weather stripping makes me want to try something on my own, in keeping with my belief that life is so much more secure when we have ways of solving a big chunk of our problems without outside intervention (This, btw, is why I love Dwelle so much. . .It's OTC and works amazingly well for me. . .) Maybe I will tinker with some weather stripping on an older pair of glasses. . .
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input on this. I think I will try a little weather stripping and see what I can come up with. I guess I was looking for something inconspicuous, so while working in the workplace I won't have to field questions as to why I'm wearing weather stripping!

Dotanne, were your glasses plastic or metal frames which had the Eagle material inserted?

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20_Hindsight View Post
              I guess I was looking for something inconspicuous, so while working in the workplace I won't have to field questions as to why I'm wearing weather stripping!
              The pair I saw, I never would have guessed till they were removed and I looked at them. But certainly, a proper moisture chamber like eaglevision or similar could be made quite a bit better looking.

New products are always excruciatingly slow to come but I am in high hopes over the next entrant we'll be seeing to moisture chambers. Hopefully not too long now.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X