Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make your very own glasses, poor person style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your very own glasses, poor person style.

Another post asked how to make one's own wind-blocking glasses, so I decided I'd post a little 'how to" on making non-prescription tinted or un-tinted glasses without special knowledge, equipment, or a heavy cost- no visits to home depot, plastic stores, nothin'.

Note, I'm not a doctor or a magician or anything else- I cannot vouch that these glasses will be the right choice for YOU, just that they personally work for me. Don't sue.

What I used:

-My grey-green 1% NoIR sunglasses, with the #35 wrap around frame
    (http://noir-medical.com/catalog.htm)

-Tranquileyes unlined foam
    (dry eye shop)

What it cost:

My sunglasses were 58$- while I strongly, strongly recommend ordering the same frame, I don't suggest my particular lens unless you have very severe photophobia- it filters all but 1% of visible light. Not to mention, other lenses are cheaper. Most you will find that aren't especially dark will be around 30$- the 16% amber, a good pick, is 25$. Keep in mind, everything listed on the site doesn't calculate the 25% discount the rep is going to give you at purchase.

My foam was 7$- I've tried all sorts of foams and plastics and magics, but I find this one to be the best suggestion simply because it is pre-cut, stretchy enough to sit on most frames, and doesn't require getting down and dirty with the gluing- plus, it's comfy. That said, if you're adventurous and find that this isn't really the 'right' one for you, try googling around for 'marshall protocol' patients- those folks know their sunglasses, and often offer adventurous tips on preventing light leaks (if it doesn't leak light, it aint leaking air either)

basically, it can cost anywhere from 25-65$ for the glasses, and it's 7$ for the foam. Unless you have a low-vision shop in your area, you'll probably have to order both, so make sure to assume the cost of shipping in your numbers.

So, what do you do once you've got the extensive supply list?

How the heck do I put it together?

Simply take the pads out of their baggy, punch out the pad in the center, and press them on to freshly washed and dried NoIRs. Start from the nose outward with the pressing, making sure to STRETCH the foam so that you end up with enough at the outer corner of your eye- if you aren't careful to get the foam very far towards the arms, you wont produce a perfect seal- you'll probably want to pull it farther than I have pictured, as I stuck on new foam for demonstration. If you don't get it once, you'll be able to re-stick the same pads just fine. Once you get the fit you like, press down HARD for a minute, to make sure that the foam doesn't end up moving or falling. Don't use additional glue, though- like all foam, it needs replacement, and you don't want to be prying it off with prayer in a month- you're better off having it fall off a little earlier than having it resist coming off when it needs to- not to mention the risk of getting glue where you don't want it, ie where it can come into contact with your eyes. Not good! Also, I suggest against cutting the foam- it seems like alot, but when worn and stretched, it's quite comfy- not to mention, you'll be thankful for the perfect fit and seal, which is harder to get with glasses that don't have much in the way of foam. In my experience, it molds to more eyes. Downside is, of course, that it does result in a field of vision loss- it's up to you to decide if it's 'too much'.

That's all!

Finally, some pictures of the end result.

Well, I hope this helps someone. Even if this turns into a failed attempt for you, I think it's worth trying in terms of being able to adjust fit, tint colour, and light transmission of your lenses without big bucks.
    Last edited by nahzee; 25-Apr-2008, 02:30.

Great suggestion with excellent illustrations. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Beat ya too it

Thanks for posting this. I've meant to for quite a while. I wear prescription no line bifocals. Impossible to get a good fit on my Panoptx and they make me drunk and dizzy. I actually did exactly what you have done almost 3 years ago. You would probably find a post about it if you did a search. I bought Oakley wrap around's in my prescription and fitted the Tranquileyes lined foam on my glasses. They are perfect for driving as they don't have the distortion that the Panoptx do.

I also bought OTC wrap arounds from Walmart, $7.99 and did the same with them. But my husband drives when I wear them. But they are great for watching TV. I have a small face and find that I have to put the foam where the inside edges (at the nose) touch each other. But I fitted the sunglasses first, earpieces that will bend down over your ears are the best. They put pressure on the foam to make it seal. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures. I apologize to all of you for not doing it myself sooner.

Billye

Comment

Can you get these glasses w/ perscription?

This is a great idea! I need to due something but haven't the funds for the Panoptx -and I only found 1 really ugly style that didn't hit my cheek bones.

Can you put a script into those frames you suggest after purchasing them, or is there a frame similar you could recommend?

Thanks so much for this!

Comment

Lining foam.

That was an excellent peice on making your own glasses...v.good.Been looking into dry eye shop but cant see the foam liner you illustrated ?can you direct me to what part its on?Ive got severe photophobia caused by mgd and bleph.would this foam be ok on a pair of reactolight glasses im planning on buying? thanks..regards c.b.

Comment

Here's the foam - if you select 'unlined' foam in the dropdown you'll see a picture of it.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

How do you see with these things?

I got so excited when I saw this entry for making your own glasses.

I already have extra foam inserts as I have been using the tranquileyes goggles for a couple of years now. I’m desperate for relief and my Dr. has stressed that I must protect from wind, dust and environment dryness. I have been looking into the Panoptx and WileyX, but I haven’t the funds yet or found the right fit.

…So I ran out and found a pair of drugstore wrap-a-rounds and came home and put the foam into them. It just barely fit into what I thought were rather large looking glasses. Then I put them on to see what it might feel like to wear them.

OMG! How do any of you wear these things? Is this what the expensive glasses as mentioned above are going to be like? So not good! I can hardly see, my field of vision sees the black foam all around the edges. But the most disturbing thing is the binocular effect in the center. I can not get a blend of my 2 eyes, convergence. Does this bother anyone else?

It may be due to my other eye condition. I have had muscle issues and surgery to realign my eyes, just a year and a half ago. This was all considered successful, but an additional situation where my eyes and brain were miscommunicating, ‘caused my fovia (proper focal point) to shift. For awhile after surgery I had triple vision. Some of this is also due to TBI from years ago.

I’m sorry this is getting to sound too complicated, but I really want to know if anyone has had trouble with this kind of thing with their glasses and how did you adjust. I’m now concerned about investing in and wearing the Panoptx or WileyX!

Thank you all for your patience with me,
              Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirdi View Post
                I got so excited when I saw this entry for making your own glasses.

I already have extra foam inserts as I have been using the tranquileyes goggles for a couple of years now. I’m desperate for relief and my Dr. has stressed that I must protect from wind, dust and environment dryness. I have been looking into the Panoptx and WileyX, but I haven’t the funds yet or found the right fit.

…So I ran out and found a pair of drugstore wrap-a-rounds and came home and put the foam into them. It just barely fit into what I thought were rather large looking glasses. Then I put them on to see what it might feel like to wear them.

OMG! How do any of you wear these things? Is this what the expensive glasses as mentioned above are going to be like? So not good! I can hardly see, my field of vision sees the black foam all around the edges. But the most disturbing thing is the binocular effect in the center. I can not get a blend of my 2 eyes, convergence. Does this bother anyone else?

It may be due to my other eye condition. I have had muscle issues and surgery to realign my eyes, just a year and a half ago. This was all considered successful, but an additional situation where my eyes and brain were miscommunicating, ‘caused my fovia (proper focal point) to shift. For awhile after surgery I had triple vision. Some of this is also due to TBI from years ago.

I’m sorry this is getting to sound too complicated, but I really want to know if anyone has had trouble with this kind of thing with their glasses and how did you adjust. I’m now concerned about investing in and wearing the Panoptx or WileyX!

Thank you all for your patience with me,
                Rose
                Since the foam is far more substantial the glasses and goggles you find at the dry eye shop, yes, it does result in a greater field of vision loss- although all will, to some extent, affect your field of vision. I have extremely little useful vision (20/CF3 on a great day), so the trade of greatly reduced dry eye pain and photophobia is well worth it to me.

I've never tried, but you may be able to trim down the foam- if you've already used the foam and you're not going to use the glasses as they are, it's worth trying.

The dry eye shop sells 'onion' goggles which may be an option for you- they're (I think) 20$ and have about 1/8th the foam. For me, they don't really get a decent seal, but they might fit your face, and if anything, they will provide somewhat more protection than regular wrap-arounds.

You can also buy swimmer's goggles. I bought a 'cheap' pair for 10$ and hated it, but then spent 20-something on a nicer pair and absolutely loved it. They're not the most fashionable thing on earth, but they work- mine aren't the annoying ones that feel like they're sucking your poor eyes out, but instead they're comfortable foam.

I'm sorry this wasn't able to help you, but I hope you'll be able to make use of some of the other suggestions around.

Comment

A thought...

I tried using the tranquileye foam on a pair of inexpensive sunglasses several years ago. They were great for watching tv and around the house. But I couldn't wear them out of the house. Really difficult to see with to drive. But reading this post, I'm thinking I'll revisit this. And I'm going to lay my glasses with the lens on white paper and trace around the lens. Then I'm going to put the white paper over the foam and cut it down being careful to get the glue strip within the foam. All I have to lose is a set of foam and if it works, hey great inexpensive pair of glasses. It would have to be trimmed with the glue strip in the center of the frame. I'm not going to take the paper off of the foam until I've cut it. In other words I'm experimenting to see how this might work. Was this clear as mud??

But you get my drift?
                  Billye

Comment

I'm curious about cutting the foam?

I'd like to hear how this cutting of the foam works? Has to be the part that touches the face and the sides too? The fact that it is so squishy and all, don't know how to not ruin the things.

Maybe those of you with some success could explain further, or show us a picture of the finished experiment. Until my current foam in my tranquileyes is ready for changing, I'm not sure I want to cut into the new ones.

I guess I don't know how to make them thinner? Still puzzled...

Comment

Haven't had success yet

Well,
                      messed up the first set of foam. I have a tremor and I just couldn't get them right. I guess when I'm ready to change the foam in my night time goggles, I'll try it again.

Billye

Comment

Working...
                      X