Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Moisture Chamber glasses

Hey everyone,

I have a very high glasses prescription, more than what Panoptx can make, so I was thinking of going to the custom moisture chamber glasses route. Has anyone done this and liked the look of the glasses? Also, is there a list of opticians that can make a pair of moisture chamber glasses look as discrete and normal as possible?
    Thank you!

Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic (Rochester Minn) has a optical dept. that can make custom moisture chambers. They even have a wide assortment of frames.

Billye

Comment

2 other places for custom moisture chambers

And some of us have worn custom moisture chambers made by Scott Kornfeld at Woodbury Optical on Long Island, N.Y., and by Dr. Angel Perez at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami.

In MD, there is a very skilled optician named Phil Abramo, in Pikesville, who is starting to get involved in making custom moisture chambers.

When made well, the chambers are nearly invisible to onlookers. WIshing you great success in trying these out, if you go that route!
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

PantOpx high prescription /moister chambers

I encoutner a similar problem. I am having my PantOpx done at http://www.heavyglare.comthey have good service, Mark the opticiain is very nice and knowledgeable and all is done online. They have a great website which make it easy to learn and choose what wouldl fit your need.
        You can purchase the frame their, or can send your own frame to them. They have PantOpx (7eye) Willey and all the other known brands. They could do any prescription and any lens you ask. They don't provide custom made moister chambers though.

Also our own Dr. Bazan OD, who we all learned to appreiciate his knowledge and good traits, could also fit you lenses and frames online or in his Clinic.
        His Optician coleague Mary McRae, ABO is very nice and knowledgeable and I found them both open and willing to help, taking the time to identify the patient needs and problem and match those needs with great care.
        So while Dr. Bazan could fit you with any prescription lens at any number, he could also make you a moister chamber or refer you to the suitable place.

Justin Bazan, OD
        Doctor of Optometry
        Mary McRae, ABO
        Optician
        http://www.ParkSlopeEye.com

(-I Care-)
        Your Eyes Advocate
        www.JustinBazan.wordpress.com

Park Slope Eye
        www.ParkSlopeEye.com

Dry Eye Zone
        http://tinyurl.com/5vnbwa
        Last edited by HOSADOS; 11-Aug-2008, 17:42. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks! Are there any opticians in the West Coast? I'm already spending so much money on my dry eyes...eek

HOSADOS, I checked out heavyglare.com (thanks!) and they make safety goggles that fit over glasses. Can anyone please comment on how effective safe goggles are when used as moisture chambers?

Thanks again!

Comment

PantOpx/7eye for high prescription

Originally posted by marykate View Post
            Thanks! Are there any opticians in the West Coast? I'm already spending so much money on my dry eyes...eek

HOSADOS, I checked out heavyglare.com (thanks!) and they make safety goggles that fit over glasses. Can anyone please comment on how effective safe goggles are when used as moisture chambers?

Thanks again!

Hey Mary, more sympathetic I can't be ! spending all this money doing all this research, reading..
            while I haven't really have any experience with that specific product, I usually trust my common sense in case I can't find anyone using it.

With that being said please contact Mark Busse the Optician from heavyglare and consult with him, he was very nice to sent a long time with me on the phone explaining to me stuff. Feel free to mention that you were referred by the DES patient who purchse Churoda and Viento lately

One of my concern was the "look"- I didn't want to look weird in the eyes of people, wearing goggles or traditional moister chambers, furthermore I think that the PantOpx glasses are much more comfortable and effective.

Since I was in a similar situation with PantOpx (7eye) where my prescription number is above 3, I was happy to find that Heavyglare had no problem to supply higher numbers with PantOpx. So I warmly suggest you look at 7eye (PantOpx) Closeout http://www.7eye.com/store/home.php?c...ction=0&page=2 as they have huge discount on the old models, including Viento for only $59, and Churoda for $129. So what you could is purchase the frame and send it to heavyglare for fitting, or you could order your PantOpx in Heavyglare.

Mark Busse A.B.O.C.
            Customer Service Representative
            Optician
            Sunray Optical Inc.
            www.heavyglare.com
            651-209-3534
            888-235-2561 Toll-Free
            866-848-6181 Toll-Free Fax

On that note, I spoke with Dr. Bazan (in this forum-open forum) and he invited me to email Mary the Optician in his clinic, and although I haven't used their services, since I 've already placed an order with Heavyglare, they were kind enough to assist me and take my questions. I have learned that they could provide that service (high number prescription to PantOpx and moister chambers) online as well.

I went to my local Optician for a thorough eye exam (including computer eye exam), I purchased my Viento from the closeout sale of PantOpx and sent it to Heavyglare with my prescription information, I purchased another pair of Churoda at Heavyglare. One pair for all purpose (Churoda-looks much better) and one pair specially dedicated for the computer (a different prescription-I used the Viento since it's much cheaper if u get it in the closeout) I had them both polarized (seems to work fine with my computer) with anti-reflective coating. Since the lenses I picked for the computer pair block less light I could also use them indoor comfortably.
            I found that the moister chamber/wind shield combination together with the polarized lens, significantly improve my ability to work on the computer and "survive" an office environment (AC, heating, bright light, computer,etc)
            Last edited by HOSADOS; 11-Aug-2008, 18:04.

Comment

Thank you so much HOSADOS!!!

Comment

Hosados,

Please post and tell us how you like your HeavyGlare prescription moisture chamber glasses---have you received them yet?

I'm seriously considering trying them---I have 2 Panoptx pairs that I wore when using contact lenses, and I'd like to get a prescription in them---but my eyes are really bad (-7.75 and more)! My optician here says they're impossible to make at that power. I'm going to call the company and hear what they say.

Calli

Comment

Other options for High Perscriptions

I have used SafeVision, LLC - 314-961-7406 in St. Louis to have special inserts made for Viento Panoptx frames for perscriptions in the -6 to -7 range. They do a great job and are very helpful. You can buy the frames from them or send your own to them. I had them do one pair for distance vision and one pair with full frame bifocal which work wonderfully for working on the computer.

I also used SportRX - 888-831-5817 - Jennifer Andrews a few years back to have a pair made in Cyclone Panoptx frames. They also did a good job and I still use those glasses at times. They could not do the Viento frames.

Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks Bunny!

C

Comment

Viento is somewhat more challenging

the thing with Viento is the angle which make it hard to assemble the lens, which increases the liklihood of breaking the frame while working on it. So the higher the number with Viento the more challenging that is.

Closeout prices are only for retail customers, so in this case you want to purchase it directly and send it to Optometry of choice.

Originally posted by Bunny View Post
                      I have used SafeVision, LLC - 314-961-7406 in St. Louis to have special inserts made for Viento Panoptx frames for perscriptions in the -6 to -7 range. They do a great job and are very helpful. You can buy the frames from them or send your own to them. I had them do one pair for distance vision and one pair with full frame bifocal which work wonderfully for working on the computer.

I also used SportRX - 888-831-5817 - Jennifer Andrews a few years back to have a pair made in Cyclone Panoptx frames. They also did a good job and I still use those glasses at times. They could not do the Viento frames.

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
                        Hosados,

Please post and tell us how you like your HeavyGlare prescription moisture chamber glasses---have you received them yet?

I'm seriously considering trying them---I have 2 Panoptx pairs that I wore when using contact lenses, and I'd like to get a prescription in them---but my eyes are really bad (-7.75 and more)! My optician here says they're impossible to make at that power. I'm going to call the company and hear what they say.

Calli

Will receive the distance pair in the upcoming week.
                        as I 've written to Bunny higher number are more problematic with Viento as any professional would explain you, though not impossible. Heavyglare told me that if I purchase the frame from them and it break during the work they would replace it with a new frame on their expense. However, if I choose the send the my own frame, in this case if it breaks during the proccess I would have to replace it on my expense.

This was mainly said on Viento which is somewhat problematic due its angle, but as far as the other models (in my case Churoda) they didn't expect any problem.

They say the could do any lens at any number, so just call and ask, and they would let you know what is possible but in general they would be willing to do what ever you ask . I like the fact that they are flexible.

Personally, initially I was talking with them about a -4.75 but after I had a few thorough eye exam, and as you recall from my post to Dr. Bazan http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=6284
                        An eye examination with A cycloplegic eye drop, revealed that my 'real' number is actually much lower, so in the end I was doing a -3.75 and -3.12 for computer glasses. Which is much better and I feel much better with this!!!

Apparently, my DES and maybe other factors as well cause to a severe eye srtain which make my muscles over contracting which detiorate my distance vision and reflected in higher prescription than what I really need under normal eye exam. While, I 'm not quite sure if this problem is limited to me, or appy many other DES patients, nevertheless, I recommend you all take this an account and have it checked. Who knows this might improve your life quality and eye strain which in my opinion adverse DES.

On that note, I recommend you all have eye examination for reading/computer.

would post an update after I recieve those PantOpx pairs.

good luck.

Comment

Hi all, I was hoping to get an optician to customize my prescription glasses into moisture glasses. I haven’t found anyone yet. I have a -16 and -14.75 with PD prescription and have a very difficult time finding frames. In addition, I just had prescription and glasses made up (and a backup due to myopia). Many places cannot make up the prescription.
                          Perhaps I misunderstood, and it’s not possible? I live in San Francisco Bay Area.

Comment

Working...
                          X