MEGs (micro-environment glasses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sjogrens

I've been chewing on a root canal for over a week now thanks to this stupid disease. I hear you Calli. All of this should be covered under our medical insurance.

Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

I had 2 root canals done last March--then it hit my eyes hard. Damn Sjogrens! AHHHH.. We must keep hanging on!
      Jenny

Comment

They look much nicer than the Wiley/Panopt. goggles. I think I would be much less self conscious. It doesn't look like they form a full seal around the eyes - according to informatin on their website. I wonder how they would work for people that are really sensitive to moving air or outdoors? Does anybody know?

Comment

Well, just from the picture, it looks like the cup part goes in pretty close to the face. They don't have any vents like Panoptx, so I guess it's not a bad thing to have some small gaps---so they don't fog up.

Waitin' for Silverlady to take the first step and order..."you go first"...

C

Comment

seriously -- they should give Rebecca some complimentary demo ones for members to try out. Then they would have some quote for their website and free PR.

Comment

I'm emailed the site letting them know that Dry Eye Zone is desperately waiting to try thiem out...and that theres a potential market here for them. Haha I hope that speeds things up....

Comment

I brought a picture of MEGS to two local opticians and they said that they could not fit it with a -10 prescription. A high index lens cannot be used bc the lens has to be drilled with a hole to put into a MEGs and high index lens will crack when drilled. A regular lens would be way too thick and heavy and would not work with the MEGs is what I was told.

Anybody have any success with fitting high prescription into a MEGs?

Comment

My optician says his suppliers can drill any type of lens---even high index plastic. Most optical shops will tell you they can only drill polycarbonate. I think these places have different equipment. I have not actually ordered a drilled frame style, but have repeatedly asked this question every time I go in for new frames, and he always says drilled high index plastic is no problem.

So I would recommend that you call all the optical stores you can 'till you find one that does high-end, specialty work. It might take awhile, but I think it's possible. You're going to have to find a specialty shop anyway, since the groove on the edge of the lens is different from the usual lens manufacturing profile.

Calli

Comment

Don't wait on me

Hope none of you are waiting on me. I've got to sell a house first before I bite the bullet with a purchasing them. If this manages to happen before Christmas you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be ordering a pair ASAP. I don't think they would be any more expensive than my last pair of Panoptyx and hopefully more comfortable.

Billye

Comment

Any takers yet?

I haven’t been to DEZ in awhile. I thought by now someone would have got these MEGs and have some comments about them to share. I’m wondering all the same things that have been asked here (above). And I’m outraged by the initial price. Add to that prescriptive progressives and wow, it’ll take me a year to save. Anyway, I’m hoping to hear from some first hand experience.

Biggest question will be how do they compare in comfort[relief] to the panoptx? Getting away from the foam will be a relief alone for me. Also, I was wondering how different are these from say eagle eye customs? Thought this was a newer technology, but it is a plastic guard around regular lenses. With such a high price, why not go with the custom MC and then you can get the clear outer coverage.

I look forward to more comments about this.

Thanks,
                      Rose

Comment

regular moisture chambers

Hi everyone,

I finally bit the bullet and had regular moisture chamber glasses made (Eaglevision). They work fairly well. In comparision to MEGs, it is my opinion, that the moisture chambers are less noticeable than MEGs. They are also less expensive. Not a perfect solution, but they do help some. Especially for those of you with high prescriptions like, me, it is worth a try if you can find someone to make them for you.

Best wishes,
                        dryeyes2

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
                          I brought a picture of MEGS to two local opticians and they said that they could not fit it with a -10 prescription. A high index lens cannot be used bc the lens has to be drilled with a hole to put into a MEGs and high index lens will crack when drilled. A regular lens would be way too thick and heavy and would not work with the MEGs is what I was told.

Anybody have any success with fitting high prescription into a MEGs?
                          I think it would be impossible to use 1.8/1.9 glass to drill ^^

You are going to have 2 cups in front of your eye! Then what would the thickless of the lens affects you? I may choose low index len, may be eg. Hoya 1.6 plastic that optician saying have good optical quality and consider for anti-fog, polorize such things...

It is already better than wearing a swimming google or a war game google walking on the street, haha

But make sure the shop can made the lens is most important, or it will hurts for US$250 @_@

I also have -10.00D, it make me crazy now...

Comment

my preliminary MEG experience

I have a pair of MEGs I'm planning to fill with my own Rx soon. . .As a veteran of custom moisture chambers, I can say that the MEGs compare favorably to my custom chambers in terms of the coverage they provide, though they provide less coverage around the bottom of the lens than did my custom moisture chambers. (I'm not rushing to have the MEGs made up for me because I don't use protective eyewear much anymore, after my dramatic success with Dwelle.)

In my case, the MEGs are HUGELY less expensive than custom chambers, since my opticians always tacked on about $300 extra just to put EagleVision chambers on the glass frames. . .

I have a strong distance prescription, but since have not yet asked an optician to make new lenses for my MEGs, I don't know what the response will be. . .I'm optimistic that at least polycarbonates can be made up to withstand the holes that need to be punched for mounting on the frame. . .
                            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

What is the difference between MEG's and Moisture chambers?

Comment

Moisture chamber primer

Here on DEZ "moisture chamber" is often used to refer to any form of protective eyewear worn to reduce airflow around the eyes and provide a moisture-rich environment. Moisture chambers usually reduce pain and frequency of artificial tear installation quite noticeably.

Moisture chambers include:

1) Foam-lined sunglasses or goggles by makers such as 7Eye/Panoptx, Wiley-X, Clic goggles, Adidas, Harley, Guard-Dogs and a few others.

2) Custom panels fitted onto your own glasses by a skilled optician. It is usually a transparent flexible material such as that produced by Eagle Vision. The idea is it fills most of the gap between the glasses frame and your face.

3) MEGs, which are a ready-made pair of glasses with a special opaque guard built onto them. It is a commercial non-custom version of what was formerly available only as a custom moisture chamber.
                                Rebecca Petris
                                The Dry Eye Foundation
                                dryeyefoundation.org
                                800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                                X