Wiley-X vs. Panoptx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiley-X vs. Panoptx

I got a few pairs of Wiley-X to try out and to get a sense of how they compare to Panoptx.

Results/conclusions so far:

Wiley-X and Panoptx products with foam lining are really quite different in design and concept. Thus far I like both very much but would use them for different activities.

Overall, the Wiley-X frames are lighter weight and the sensation wearing them is they don't "hug" the face/head quite so much as Panoptx. They are also not quite so individual. All three of the Wiley-X pairs that came seemed reasonably comfortable on me, while there are only one or two Panoptx designs of the 6 I've tried that work well for me.

Wiley-X foam pad is much lower profile and quite different design/material than Panoptx: it is a narrower strip with a smooth covering and indentations at approx. 3/4" intervals to breathe.

Wiley-X seems to provide a noticeably bigger visual field than the Panoptx, partly because the lenses are larger and partly because the foam insert is lower profile. By bigger I mean both at the sides and top-to-bottom. I don't think the difference is as dramatic as I was expecting, but I would definitely prefer them over Panoptx for driving and I do find I'm happier indoors in the Wiley from a vision standpoint, though I'd rather have the fuller foam coverage of the Panoptx in a heavily air conditioned or heated environment.

The Wiley-X fixed-lens frame with removeable foam liner gasket thingy (that's not a technical term...) model JP3 is pretty nice. I do not like it without the foam liner because removing it leaves some rather sharp corners exposed. The liner itself is far more delicate than the Panoptx one and I think I would worry about breaking it if I were taking it in and out a lot. - Incidentally, my husband, who does not have dry eye, loved this one and is going to buy some.

I really like the SG-1 with interchangeable lenses, though it's not as classy looking as the JP3. The design is very convenient for switching between, say, indoors/computer work and outdoors. The frame is extremely lightweight and flexible. I don't think I'd be comfortable in it while doing anything particularly active, but I find it terrific for indoors and in fact I'm wearing it right now with the clear lenses.

Overall conclusions: I think Panoptx, with its heavier-duty Orbital Seal and greater variety of frame designs to snugly fit different face shapes, provides the best protection for dry eye, but is not ideal for all activities due to reduced vision and even (in some models) a "tunnel vision" feeling. I prefer Panoptx from the standpoint of fit, but Wiley-X on the other hand can provide better vision for some activities (trading off some protection for this) along with a lighter overall feel and (compared at least to the removeable eyecup Panoptx) a more discreet/ less goggly appearance.

I think my preference at this point is:
    - Wiley-X SG-1 for driving
    - Panoptx Sirocco for all outdoors activities esp. in wind
    - Undecided for indoors! Probably Wiley-X on a good day and Panoptx on a bad day.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Wow!! Thanks, Rebecca. That was a great comparison. I have the Wiley XL-1 with interchangeable lenses. I have had them for well over a year now, and just ordered some new lenses as mine got scratched up due to carelessness. $20 bucks...not bad. Like a whole new pair of glasses! Yes, visibility is great in them. My teenage boys love them for sports. They work well for me outdoors unless it is very windy outside.

Comment

thx rebecca for this info..
      im currently considering ordering AirRage LA (Light Adjusting) or Brick LA (Light Adjusting).....any comment about this?
      and moreover, does wiley give the "bocal effect"??
      If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

I've thought longingly about getting Panoptx or Wiley glasses but have been too wary to get them sent from USA so I was rapt to find a NZ web site last Wednesday with a freephone no and by Friday I had a rep turn up with a selection to try on!!! Top marks to the Wiley X people. It was just fortunate that the rep was up our way but he still had to drive out of his way to get to our place in the country!! They are just getting going here in NZ. For any NZ ers phone 0800 WileyX. or email contact@wileyx.co.nz
        I have chosen the Blink style with a new removeable facial cavity seal and light adjusting, a new one out. I am hoping to get it with my RX.
        When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

hello again..
          im very interested in the wileyx glasses....Dotanne you said you ordered the blink model? because i'm looking for the AirRage LA - Light Adjusting because it stops air....(as it names implies).....but does the blink model do it efficiently too????
          oh the Blink LA (Light Adjusting) is veryyyyyyyyy cool nonetheless !!!! If it is very efficient in blocking winds, air, i may opt for it ! any comment about dat?

btw......as I don't work, and live in a lost island in the indian ocean, i am obliged to make money transfer....(mayB through Western Union)...(Ican't do creditcard business-dnt bother telling me dat).....
          so is wileyX REALLY truthful to make this money transfer which can be veryyy unsafe most of the time??? bcoz i fink dis is my only choice for getting this beautiful protecting glasses
          If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Kiaora from NZ
            I think the Blink (555) Wiley X is very similar to the AirRage (696)- they are right next to each other on my brochure and come under the climate control series: Light adjusting (they adjust to the light conditions - dark when it is bright and clear when it is dark so I am hoping they will be good for indoor use too) and they come with a removeable facial cavity seal - which is a vented gasket to keep out the wind etc. I picked Blink variety as they were the most comfortable on my small face, the gasket fitted well and they didn't look too big for my features. They were the rep's favourite type too. They are due to arrive today or tomorrow for the optician to measure for the progressive lens that the lens maker has said he can do. I feel they will be better than the goggles I have - will seal better and allow me to venture out in all weathers and maybe even get some enjoyment out of a plane flight! AND I will look less like an alien. I am an eternal optimist. I will have to change my avatar when I get them.
            At last NZ has something that we don't have to order from overseas. I can't help you with advice on the money side of things and this is my first experience with the NZ Wiley X people.
            I hope you have success Mikastef - it must be very difficult for you living where you are though I imagine it is a very beautiful place! And humid too?

Comment

thx dotanne...
              but hey how did you order yours you??? haven't you order by credit card???
              hm i fink im very near in ordering by western union....
              im so fed up wit this d.e as i can't cope wit it in many surrounding containing aircon...nowadays all "hightech place" contain aircon....all works contain aircons...
              so im very sure dat a glass will be indispensable...
              so, ok i fink i'll bet my money on dat, through western union...
              thx 4 da tips about the difference between the 2glasseses, i'll take the much better and much cool one...the BLINK model =)...!

oh btw..in mauritius it is VERY HOT!!!! Pfff...
              btw too...doesn't this glass cause fogging?
              and, any quicker reply will be great as it will make me more convinced and order this glass quicker

Comment

Hi Mikastef
                Yes I order using my credit card -Visa - which I have used to order from other countries too (USA and Australia) but I have been able to buy these Wiley X glasses in NZ (still used Visa). I will get my RX ones in a couple of weeks. They have to get the lenses from Australia so I doubt if I will get them for Xmas. But I hope to have them by 13 Jan when we go on holiday and will do some tramping in Stewart Island. (And I will be able to see how effective they are on the plane flight!) BTW Stewart Island is a little island at the very bottom of NZ (we live near the top - north of Auckland) where there is lots of bush and kiwis etc.

Comment

oh, its now that i have seen your "location"...! you live in new zealand, just where wileyx is found =)!!!! dats very conveniant!.....haha a lots of kiwis !! thats cools, despite the d.e, you can still enjoy life there by eating juicy kiwis !
                  so, i have phone wileyx and im looking forward to do the procedures to get it...but they said i'll get the glass in approximatly 1week.....
                  but you mentioned you will get in approx13january...
                  thats strange.........becoz i live veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy far from newzealand n will SUPPOSE to get it in 1week time - more quicker than you???....
                  im wondering the "MEDIUM FACE" is about how many length or diamete(if i might say so)....? just in case it doesn't fit in my face.......but i know my face is not a LARGE FACE ...so must be around the small or medium one..

Comment

I am getting a prescription lens put in my Wiley Xs so I can read etc. That is why there is a delay in getting my glasses.
                    By the way the kiwis I was referring to were the flightless bird kind that live in the bush and only come out at night! But we do have lots of the other kiwis (kiwifruit) here in New Zealand, especially in the North Island, but I doubt that they would grow in Stewart Island as it is colder down there!
                    We love kiwifruit and they are great in a fruit salad or in typically NZ style they are used to decorate pavlova ( a NZ dish that is meringue with cream on top!). Yep! I find eating gives some relief to dry eye!

Comment

My WileyX Rx glasses have arrived

My new Wiley X glasses with progressive reading prescription and light adjusting arrived today and I am using them now. Total price $NZ795 ($NZ1 equals $US 0.70). The vision is great - no fish bowl effect and they are much easier to clean than my old Adidas goggles with inserts (which were being held together with Bluetac). It will be interesting to see if the awful 'eyes in acid' inflamation that I have been getting later in the day improves. I have to go to the hairdresser this afternoon so they will be great for that and I might even be able to read some of the magazines in comfort! The gasket fits in very neatly so I am hoping for greater eye comfort when we go on bushwalks during our holiday in Stewart Island (at the bottom of NZ) at the end of next week.
                      Happy New Year all
                      Dot

Comment

Congrats, Dot. It sounds like you are already satisfied with your Wiley RX glasses. They will probably be very useful/helpful to you. If you didn't like them, I think you'd notice it right away.

Still trying to make sense of your cost. My Panoptx goggles with RX and progressive bifocals were $500.00. Am I right in assuming yours were about $500-600 US dollars. Ok, ok, I'm not good on the conversion thing for you guys laughing your butt off.

Lucy
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Your maths sounds right to me, Lucy. When you guys come to NZ your money goes a lot further!!! It costs us heaps more when we go to US, and even worse when we go to UK. BUT trips to Fiji and Tonga are going very cheap now and our money will go a long way there if what we want to buy is available (and it is cyclone season too). Awesome humidity there! Bit sad about all their political problems though.
                          The cost of my Wiley Xs included a handling fee of $NZ 25 too. My day went well and I enjoyed reading the mags at the hairdressers and my eyes were not too bad to drive home at about 6.30 pm. Still quite sore soon after till I did the Dwelle/shower trick. Mind you there are lots of times at the hairdresser when one can shut the eyes and relax!
                          I went to the supermarket afterwards and the young(school age) male checkout operator commented on my glasses, "Are those the sort that change to sunglasses when you go outside? They look like sunglasses but they are clear." I do like the light adjusting aspect of these glasses. I am so pleased that the RX works with the curved lens too.

Comment

wileyx

elo dotanne...
                            well i have just got my wileyx INK model....i have opted for the ink model as it looked more cool...
                            but hmm...... i feel that it is a bit too small......but it can be worn nevertheless .....
                            is your blink small or large?
                            btw how do we remove the seal gasket??? i dont know how to remove em...
                            and i have the lightadjusting ..its reall cool dat option..

Comment

Hi Mikastef
                              I have been using my RX WileyXs for about three weeks now and they are great. I have a small face and the other frames were too big for my little face.
                              To remove the gasket, you have to fold the arms in about half way and then carefully edge one end of the gasket away from the frame and the same with the other side. The main thing is that you must fold the arms in about half way - the gasket will not come out otherwise. Be gentle and with practise it gets easier. Reverse the process to put the gasket back.
                              Hubby and I did 5 days of tramping around Stewart Island in sometimes very windy cool weather and my eyes were generally good. They deteriorated badly after 5pm each night but that is nothing unusual . We walked in the rain sometimes so that was a help and the beaches, bush and birds were very beautiful. The light adjusting ability of the lenses was great as sometimes we walked in dark bush. Travelling in the plane was not good, goop and all - morning is better but I don't think I could handle a long flight. The short flight in the 10 seater was fine as the air wasn't pressurised and we were flying nearer the ground!!
                              Dot

Comment

Working...
                              X