Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona clinic

Hi:

I am planning a trip to Arizona to go to a special pain mgmt clinic and depression center. I am very interested in the program that they offer and think it will help with improving my coping skills. I am afraid though of the weather in Arizona at this time of the yr. I had read that Arizona is very arid. Wondering how it really is this time of the yr and the precautions I should make in order to go outside. Are moisture chambers necessary for just stepping outside?

Thanks
    K
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

So Glad To See Your Post Today

Hi Kim,

I just wanted to tell you how glad I was to see your post today. I suffer from depression also, and my heart goes out to you. Going for treatment while you are young is such a good decision. I wish there had been similar programs years ago (when dinosaurs roamed) when I was young. My life might have been very different.

I hope someone who has experience with both the desert air and moisture chambers responds to your post. I live in the Calif. desert, and the dry air has made my dry eyes feel worse, but I haven't yet tried moisture chambers. If it's possible to take some along just in case you find you need them, that's probably a good idea.

Kim, you will be in my thoughts and in my heart.

Lynda (magoo)

Comment

I would really recommend it. I used to live in phoenix (now in the mountains) and it is very, very dry and sometimes windy, both of which (as you know) are not so fun with dry eye. Of course, if your moisture chambers are tinted, you also get the benefit of dealing with the nice and strong arizona sun.

Buildings in arizona operate just like every other area that is extremely hot: when it's hot outside, the AC is always blasted at too-damn-cold, and when there's even the slightest coolness, the heat is blasted to too-damn-hot. There's very little in the way of 'moderate', which is a consideration with wearing moisture chambers inside buildings- you might need to.

Comment

Hi there!

I live in next-door New Mexico, where it's very dry, too. Arizona actually gets a bit of 'rainy season' during the winter months, so that will help. My experience has been that it takes 1-2 weeks for the eyes to adjust to a different climate/humidity, but after that, it's OK.

Just keep your eyes protected from excess wind and sun, and you should be fine. I don't think you need to worry about having to put on moisture chambers just to step outside. Check the highs and lows and humidity online several times a week before you go----to get familiar with the weather in the city you're going to.

I highly recommend the spirit-lifting qualities of the Southwestern states---lots of sunshine and big open skies. I think you'll like it.

Calli

Comment

Hi Kim! Welcome back! I hope you are doing ok, and I am glad to hear that you are seeking treatment.

With that said, Arizona is very tough in terms of the low humidity and near constant A/C. It is still warm in the day during the winter and many places still have A/C on. I think I remember you saying you were more sensitive to heating than A/C...it shouldnt be so cold at night that heaters are on. One thing about Arizona is that the humidity tends to be in the single digits to the 30's....which is probably quite a bit lower than what you are use to over in nyc. Before my dry eye hit me, my eyes were still constantly irritated when I went to Arizona...I'm not sure I would be able to do it now w/o moisture chambers. I would bring moisture chambers just is in case...you might not need it, but it's better to have it handy.

Keep us updated on your trip and progress! We missed you!

Comment

Hello Kim,

I live in Phoenix, AZ. This time of year, we get occaisonal rain, so the humidity goes up. Indoors, we are beginning to switch over to heating instead of air conditioning. Most large buildings have good wintertime humidity control.

I wear RGPs, and I find moisture chamber sunglasses (7Eye) to be necessary when I am out of doors.

How long will you be in AZ? Will you be staying in the clinic, at a hotel/motel, or in an apartment? You will probably want to get an ultrasonic humidifier to use in your bedroom, they are generally available at Walgreen's and other drugstores.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

aRIZONA CLINIC

Hi All:

I'll be staying for a month at a clinic. I am going to go and get some moisture chamber sunglasses tomorrow. I currently wear sclerals. Thanks for the advice.
              If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
              X