Use of prescription glasses/dependence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of prescription glasses/dependence

Question for the group: I have a very slight prescription left after my lasik, I'm talking like -25 or -50. When the optometrist did my eye exam she said I didn't need glasses and using them occasionally (I want them for use in the office instead of plano glasses which are not covered by my insurance) may cause me to be dependent on them. That just doesn't ring right to me.

This office does lasik and that may be why I am cynical about what they tell me there. I only want these glasses on days when they really have the air cranked at my work, which isn't often since I live and work by the beach.

I know we aren't doctors but does this sound right to any one out there? I picked out some very cute coach glasses with my tiny rx today and they were only 50 bucks instead of the 200 I would have had to pay for them to be plano. But I don't want my vision to go down since at least I have great vision after my lasik fiasco.

Any thoughts?

From what I understand, it's often good for your eyes to make them "work" a little. If you don't really need an RX then it's good excercise for your eyes to be without.

Mayb you could get readers for computer work. A gal who doesn't wear contacts or glasses, uses computer glasses to reduce strain. She only 34 or so.

Comment

I tried the readers in the drug stores first and they made me feel so "swimmy" it really bugged me. Of course that was +100 which is pretty minor but maybe if I could find somewhere that makes +50 (wasn't able to so far) it wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps Wal-Mart?

I don't want to make my eyes lazy that's for sure but I would like to use my insurance and since I didn't need glasses for up close work the insurance wouldn't pay for them.

I wonder if I only use these glasses a couple times a week or less if this would make my eyes lazy. I wouldn't need them daily.

Comment

Lasik Lady,
        Using these small RX glasses will not hurt your eyes, or cure them, or whatever. You probably could wear them when you feel the need. ie. Driving, reading, etc. A person's eyes after lasik tend to change a little anyhow. This can be a change either way. Glasses will only help you see better when you want to. I think glasses always help the dry eye factor, too.

Lucy

P.S. Wearing glasses won't make your eyes lazy.
        Last edited by Lucy; 21-Apr-2009, 15:52. Reason: adding P.S.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I don't think it affects your vision, but you "get used to" them, and then notice things aren't as crisp without them. If you're a person who prefers crisp to "relaxed" then you might get attached to wearing them.

Are you wanting them for distance or computer? If it's for computer, you might need a slight plus power---maybe insurance would cover it. You'd have to ask your eye doctor what power you need.

I can understand wanting a bit more clarity---for me, night driving is harder unless I have stronger glasses on.

Calli

Comment

I am really wanting them only as a less obvious eye barrier in the office to use when the air is on in the afternoon. I am happy with the vision part of my lasik. My insurance will pay for RX glasses only so it is cheaper for me to have glasses made to my Rx rather than buy plano glasses anywhere (including Wal-mart, looked at their prices this evening)

I have a very slight Rx for distance and can still see up close perfectly. That is why the drug store readers were dizzying to me. I don't want to wear my goggles or any type of wrap around in the office because my dry eye isn't that drastic now. I want something that will provide some measure of protection from tear evaporation without bringing attention to my dry eye condition.

I spoke with the optometrist at Wal-mart tonight. I have shoes older than she is . But anyway she informed me that using the glasses would not make my eyes "lazy" but that as some have mentioned here, I may get used to the crispness of the glasses and feel less than satisfied with my great but not perfect vision when I remove my glasses.

Comment

Another possibility is just to find a pair of frames in an optical shop that already have a display lens in them--just buy them and wear them, as is. Or, there are "sunglasses" I've seen in stores that are basically clear with maybe a tiny tint.

It's been my experience that if you put prescription in front of your eyes, your brain will reject it at first, then get accustomed. Then when you take off the glasses, your brain at first doesn't want to adjust to no-glasses. So it doesn't feel comfortable switching back and forth.

This sometimes happens even for normal-sighted people when they wear sunglasses. Some are of lower quality optically and have small amounts of cylinder (a slight Rx for astigmatism) or other power in them that's not supposed to be there. This gives headaches, etc.

Just my opinion, but if it were me, I'd get plano and not go with slight Rx.---especially since you see so well with your Lasik correction. I'd be reluctant to changes things.

C

Comment

Update

Well I got the prescription glasses. Very slight prescription. They said like half a diopter (whatever that is) of astigmatism in one eye and a quarter in the other. So anyway, that sounds small enough but the glasses bug me.
                But the good news is now that my insurance paid for my cool frames I found out that my old optometrist will swap out my prescription lenses for plastic plano ones for 15 bucks!! Of course he will give me the lecture of why did I leave him to get lasik. I have been dreading that conversation but of course he will be right on all accounts.

So there is good news and bad news but so goes life.....

Comment

Wow, you are really lucky on the lens swap choice!

My eye doc told me that prescriptions that correct astigmatism are really hard to get used to for most people. If the angle or power changes, you just don't feel like your eyes are working together right (for me, anyway).

C

Comment

Working...
                  X