Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded goggles.

Hi folks

I have had DES for quite a time now. About 15 years.

I had a comprehensive test with Dr Michel Guillon in London, UK on Saturday May, 24th. He found that my dry eye has become critical, have reduced pigmentation (I will need to supplement with Lutein), plus a few other problems. He reccomends that I have wraparounds with moisture chambers (Wiley X) - boy do they look ugly!

I even considered Sclerals but Dr Guillon says they are not suitable for me. He did not give a reason.

He also has prescribed Systane every 2 hours. Can anybody comment on these tear supplements and their experience of using them?

Ah well, I will have to wear the new glasses because my sight is more important than my vanity and my pocket - they will turn out to be very expensive with transitions and varifocal prescription. Also, I will look like mister toad of toad hall! My wife cried when she saw me try them on.

Are there any variants that are cheaper / more acceptable and not so ugly?

Last edited by mrdibbler; 28-May-2009, 07:51.

I am sorry to hear that.

If your dry eye is "critical" in the sense that it is threatening the health of your corneas in a serious way, then it might be worth pushing further on sclerals. I mean no reflection on your doctor whatsoever (I don't know him) but in my experience many reputable doctors tell patients they're not suitable with a reason simply because they don't understand the product - or they assume the patient won't tolerate it.

Regarding moisture chambers: The field is sadly limited, and most options are quite expensive. If you can manage without a 100% seal that opens up more options.

Here are the options I can think of off the top of my head...

1) Cheap: Onion Goggles ($20). These have clear lenses. Great for indoor use or around the garden. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but they're handy and effective if they fit. They seem to fit a high percentage of women but a lower percentage of men. I know a few guys who have been successful in onion goggles when no Wileys or Panoptx seemed to fit properly. [edit: Not for you as you need Rx.]

Another cheap option would be something like fitovers (sunglasses meant to go over regular glasses) as some models are quite close fitting. No foam seal but they do block most air movement. Some models can be as little as $10 and you may find you like the looks better than the wraparound foam-lined products.

2) Sports sunglasses ($50 to $250 before Rx). This is the Wileys, Panoptx and a few obscure brands that have something similar. They're great for outdoor use and really can look very nice if you get a frame whose style you like and that fits well. You can always pop the eyecup out if you feel self-conscious. I wear a pair of Panoptx everywhere (outdoors) and I don't ever feel self-conscious in them except sometimes in stores where I have to wear them because the air conditioning can be unbearable.

3) MEGS (www.seefit.net). >$200. These are the only commercial product specifically designed to be an aesthetically acceptable indoor use moisture chamber for people like us. I have tried them and felt they were very good. They do not form a complete seal like the Panoptx/Wileys as they have a gap underneath to prevent fogging and be more versatile but they are quite good anyway. With a complex Rx it's possible these could end up cheaper than the MEGs, depends on what lenses you get though.

4) Custom moisture chambers (wide range of prices). This is probably the most discreet option available - clear panels fitted onto a pair of glasses of your choosing. I am not aware of anyone in the Uk making them. But if you could find a really good optician who's willing to put in some work on it, you might be able to get it done. They could buy the material from EagleVision (eaglevis.com). If you look at the moisture chamber picture on their website don't be horrified, it's an awful picture but they're not like that in real life in my experience.

Last thought: there's always homemade. At our conference back in 06 a very attractive lady was wearing a pair of glasses which she had very discreetly lined with weatherstripping.

If I were you and the doctor thinks this may be a long term need I'd probably be looking at option 3 or 4 rather than Wileys. MEGS would probably be the most versatile because you could put fitovers outdoors when needed (not sure if this would be possible with custom moisture chambers).
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Me sad now.

Hi Rebecca

I am pretty sad at the moment. Dr Guillon said yesterday that if I did not get chamber goggles there would be zero chance of any recovery and every possibility of permanent damage and visual loss. The eye pain and headaches are nauseating, and sure - I am not getting any better - the drops and routine are just keeping the dogs at bay.

How much does it cost to have sclerals? If they are as good as you say they are, it would be a better option. Chamber gog's are expensive too.

I still have not had a new contract yet (only two interviews in 7 weeks). The job market at the moment is pretty grim here in the uk, with loads of IT bods getting laid off.

Desparate times I'm afraid.

Comment

Sclerals are over $1000 USD.

Moisture chamber glasses are MUCH cheaper. Even if you add prescription costs.

Comment

Working...
        X