Still dry after moisture chamber glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still dry after moisture chamber glasses

Am I the only one here who still feels dry after wearing the moisture chamber glasses?

My left eye still feels pain when working on computer for 20 minutes with moisture chamber glasses on. I dont know what's going on with my eyes. Most doctors consider my dry eyes syndrom are moderate. In fact my eyes feel much better if I dont sit in front of a computer. I have little problem with reading books, or watching TV. But when I stare at a computer monitor, my eyes feel pain within 20 minutes. Moisture chamber glasses does not help much.

According to the doctors, my DES is caused by MGD/Rosecea, but I dont see any clogged glands when using a 15x mirror. Nevertheless I still do warm compress every day.

I have been living under DES for almost 6 years. Very frustrating!

Bump the thread.

Today was really bad for me. My left eye feels pain within just 5 minutes in front of the computer monitor. I was wearing the moisture chamber glasses!!! I am able to read newspaper or a book for an hour without any problem. I just dont understand why. Is there something else going on on my left eye besides dry eyes? Any comments will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jazhou View Post
      I have little problem with reading books, or watching TV. But when I stare at a computer monitor, my eyes feel pain within 20 minutes.
      That's very interesting. There certainly are others with similar experience even if none happen to be here just when you post about it.

There are a lot of possible explanations I guess. At any rate if MCs don't give sufficient relief (and yes there are others who don't get relief from MCs on the computer too) there's clearly more going on that needs to be addressed. Although I suppose a really bad TBUT could account for it but still doesn't explain why the contrast with reading a book.

What about filters, toning down background colors and all that sort of thing in case the screen is contributing?

Are you looking down, rather than straight across at the screen? In comparing reading with computer use, the main difference other than the screen is a far wider lid opening. - On the other hand... watching TV is OK... but that's a much greater distance away and you are blinking a lot more watching TV than staring at a computer.

Another note... I'm the last person in the world to in any way discount any kind of dry eye pain but at the same time I believe when there is such a predictable trigger, I believe anxiety from the expectation can make the actual pain worse (or seem worse) when the trigger starts.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I don't have the answer for why the computer screen causes such problems. But I can read or watch tv for hours also with little problem. But, sitting here looking at the computer screen (I'm having the problem right now, as a matter of fact) is very uncomfortable and when I look away from the screen my vision is terrible for a few moments. I turn the brightness way down on my screen, that helps a little, but there is something about this computer screen that is so very aggravating to my eyes.

Sometimes I'm working on something or reading something that I don't want to stop and my eyes will start wanting to close to shut out the light from the screen.

No answers from this fellow sufferer, sorry, but you're not alone in this by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post

What about filters, toning down background colors and all that sort of thing in case the screen is contributing?

Are you looking down, rather than straight across at the screen? In comparing reading with computer use, the main difference other than the screen is a far wider lid opening. - On the other hand... watching TV is OK... but that's a much greater distance away and you are blinking a lot more watching TV than staring at a computer.

Another note... I'm the last person in the world to in any way discount any kind of dry eye pain but at the same time I believe when there is such a predictable trigger, I believe anxiety from the expectation can make the actual pain worse (or seem worse) when the trigger starts.
          Rebecca, I really appreciate your comments.

I've tried all these things you mentioned. Well they helped a little, but I dont think they have addressed the main issue.

Now I wonder if it is because of the incorrect prescription. I am a very high myope(-8.7, -9). Last time I checked my vision, I got a 20-20. But I guessed some letters on the chart when the doctor checked the vision on the left eye. Maybe my left eye needs a 0.25 stronger than current prescription. Will that be the reason why my left eye suffers?

Comment

That's a good thought. Certainly could do. Maybe you've even got a little astigmatism or something. Eyestrain on top of dry eye is nasty on a computer. I vividly remember the months/years after LASIK before I got into gas perms. I had a ton of pain when on the computer, and I never really know how much of it was dry eye related and how much was vision related.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I too have more eye strain at the computer, and do OK with reading.

I know my laptop has a cooling fan that blows a subtle breeze into my eyes. The desktop computer is farther away, but also has a fan.

The letters and images on a computer screen don't have distinct "edge" like they do on a printed pages. The eyes/brain prefer contrast and edges to guide focusing, so maybe the eyes don't know where "out there" in space they're supposed to point, which causes strain. The screen images aren't on an actual surface, and you're basically looking at a light emitting source like a big light bulb.

Maybe wearing a lens that's tinted (the "computer glasses" type) would help. I've seen them in specialty optical shops. I bet they're even sold as clip-on's---have to check on-line for that. It's a blue-green color, I think.

The TV is farther away, and since the images are moving, they don't require the eyes to focus precisely. The focus continually shifts and doesn't get as strained. We don't use TV's---visually---the same way we use our computers.

Re: your "weaker eye" (the one you used when you "guessed" the letters on the eyechart). Typically, there is about .25 diopter difference between one eye and the other. This is normal---to have this difference. What may be happening for you is that for distance viewing, you're accustomed to using the eye that sees more clearly. However, for close (at the computer) you may be favoring the weaker eye, since it doesn't have to accommodate as much to see the near point. This is what happens for me ( I am -8.25, -8.0). Sometimes you need to have the optometrist tweak the prescription so that it works better for you at all distances, not just far. Another possibility is to use a different, weaker pair of glasses for the computer.

I saw a "book reader" type PC in a store and was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be very popular for the very reason we're discussing. It's just not comfortable to read on a screen.

C

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post

Maybe wearing a lens that's tinted (the "computer glasses" type) would help. I've seen them in specialty optical shops. I bet they're even sold as clip-on's---have to check on-line for that. It's a blue-green color, I think.

C
                Thanks for the wonderful information. I will check the local optical shops to see if I can find a clip-on.

Also I notice my eyes are very sensitive to lights(I guess a lot dry eyes sufferers are, huh??). For example, if I work on a computer in a dark room, my left eye feels a little bit better. Maybe a computer glass clip-on will help me in this regard.

I will try anything that can make my eyes feel better.

Comment

Have you tried turning the contrast and brightness way down? My monitor/screen has buttons at the lower right where you can easily adjust those features. I will turn mine way down darker when my eyes are bad and it does ease them. Then it is easy to change the brightness/contrast back up when needed.

I was going to buy a filter but this method is working for me fairly well.
                  Although, if there is a filter out there that will filter out just the light that is so painful, I would go for it.

The special lenses for glasses sounds promising. Thanks, calli, I'm going to look into those for sure.

lynda

Comment

Working...
                  X