Rimless Glasses for High Powered Perscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rimless Glasses for High Powered Perscription

Since I am now at the mercy of glasses, it is time to become more fashionable.... I have purchased several pairs, but am hooked on finding some rimless glasses that will look good with my high powered persciption. I know, I know, I know, but still wondering....

Does anyone out there have rimless glasses for a high persciption. ie -7.25 each eye. Do they look good and who made them for you? I found one eye glass tech who stated that he had a person come into his store with a -9 perscription that looked really good. Otherwise, he has not seen another paid with such a high power look good. Cannot seem to find out where to get rimless.

Any help would be wonderful.

I am a -8.25 myself, and I know how difficult it is to find the right glasses. Don't the stores have that style in your area?

The problem I have found with rimless, is that most stores tell you they must be made with polycarbonate material---this is because the lens has to be drilled in several places to attach the bridge and ear pieces. I know the optics of polycarbonate have improved since I tried them last, but I wasn't happy with them and I'm reluctant to try again.

Some rimless styles are not designed to take the weight of a thicker lens---I've been told that they aren't as durable when fitted with thicker lenses.

They'll say that high index plastic is not strong enough for drilling. But ask around---some shops will do it. The very highest index is 1.7 I believe--which is pretty thin as long as the lens size isn't too big. Another thing you'll hear is that rimless styles reveal the edge thickness of the lens, while a frame will hide that---something they assume you'll prefer.

I found a great pair of frames made of titanium (very light weight) but it took me a long time to find them. I went into every local store, and finally found them at a place in San Francisco while on vacation. Remember, there's no need to have the glasses made up at the store where you buy the frames---although most shops won't guarantee the frames if you didn't buy them there. It's a chance you take, but it worked out well for me.

C

Comment

Remember on the higher RX glasses that getting the edge of the glass "rolled" can make a big difference too. Funny, for my whole life from 10 on, I had the problem of almost -10 glasses. You know, finding the smallest frame you could--even when those weren't in style etc. All the grief of thick glasses and not being able to do a thing about it, except get anti-reflective etc.

Well, after Lasik, I still have to wear glasses and you know what? I don't care what they look like. My eyes hurt so bad and I have anisometriopia (uneven sight in eyes) so bad that I merely try to make out faces etc. There is something worse than thick glasses. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
      X