(Rx) Goggles/protective eyewear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Rx) Goggles/protective eyewear?

How do you use/wear goggles or protective eyewear during the day if you need prescription lenses in order to see? Many of the posts (the ones I've noticed anyway) about them seem to be worn by people who have had LASIK to correct their vision or those who don't need glasses/contacts at all. Any ideas? I think I need to look into something like this since my eyes are only getting worse but I don't even know where to start... I am nearsighted and have to wear glasses all the time. Any information would truly be appreciated.

There are lots of threads on this in the eyewear section but I'll try to summarize briefly:

1) cheapest
    Wear moisture chambers only when you don't need to see e.g. relaxing around the house so you get benefit some of the time

2) next cheapest
    Get something foam-lined that goes OVER glasses e.g. guard dogs or something not foam lined that at least provides some side & top protection like fitovers

3) expensive
    MEGs. See seefit.net. This is the only commercial moisture chamber suitable for Rx and indoor use that's presently on the market.

4) expensiver
    Wiley-X, Panoptx etc - sports wraparound sunglasses which you can get in light-adjusting lenses if you want to wear them inside. Figure on $400+.

5) expensivest (probably)
    Custom moisture chambers fitted onto your glasses. Big range in cost depending whether you've got an experienced local optician that knows what they're doing and isn't out to make a killing. I talked to someone today who had paid $900 for a pair. I've heard from others who spent much less.

Oh, and for those who only need readers, stick-on plus lenses that attach to standard moisture chambers.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

p.s.

hot off the press - i will have this in the next bulletin as soon as i find time to write it.

Suzanne has come up with a clear version of Onyix that I totally love. It's meant as a variation of Onyix for sleeping in but for people who don't like to have something opaque over their eyes and I think it will be a real winner in that role. But the funny thing is when I first tried it on I walked outside and thought....... gee, are we onto something here... for daytime? OK so it fogs up a bit but I'm typing this post looking through it. The reason I'm mentioning it here is I just wondered whether it might be possible to wear a pair of glasses over it. I don't have any regular glasses handy or I'd try it. You'd still have to deal with fogging and I find the silicone a little un-comfy on my chubby upper cheeks if I have it on too long but I think it just might be a possibility for someone out there.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Wow. That's great news! Thank you, Rebecca. And, thanks for the run down on the price ranges. I've been trying to scope it out on my own and have come up with too many questions to know how to post here. That list is really helpful!

--Liz

P.S. I heart Suzanne!

Comment

Thanks so much Rebecca for the detailed response - I will look into these options. I will also check out the eyewear section - I wasn't aware there was one - oops.

Comment

Alison, what is your glasses prescription? Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Lucy,

Mine is O.D. -3.00 SHP.+ +0.50 CYL. X015
              O.D. - 3.00 SHP.+ + 0.25 CYL. X165

I have no idea what that really means though. This is from last October and I'm scheduled to go in again this November.

Alison

Comment

Alison, I asked because some of the Panoptx (not sure about other brands) can take smallish corrections. Yours should be able to fit in some stype of Panoptx. It's not that simple because first you need a frame that will fit your face.

My prescription Panoptx have a script of -4.5. The frame is a tad large for my face, but I've had several years of use from them and don't know what I'd do without them. Look at the Panoptx website and look for those that can be fit with corrective lens. Write down a few of the styles and then go to a Harley Davidson dealer and see if you can try on the styles that will take prescription lens. If you get that far, I can let you know how I got mine made. It wasn't simple and I had to jump through hoops. I've read on here where some have had them made and they weren't happy with the goggles. It's a lot of money. Mine are especially high because I have progressive bifocals.

Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks Lucy! I'm going to try to get out to try some styles on this weekend. I also started using my Tranquileyes again and may see another doc here in my area who supposedly focuses on dry eyes. We shall see....

Comment

I have been wearing a pair of Walmart paint goggles over my sleep mask to bed at night. They are comfortable and are really doing the trick. Actually, they aren't too bad looking to wear outside in a pinch. They aren't super dark either and don't fog badly. They were definitely worth the $5.88. I may go purchase another pair for use on the computer etc. I have goggles piling up all over my house.

Melissa
                    pianolady

Comment

Thanks for the idea Melissa! Starting with a pair that's much less $ sounds good to me.

Comment

I just ordered a pair of Panoptx prescription glasses - in copper, on Rebecca's advice - and am thrilled with 'em. Smallish prescription, but the turnaround was quick and I can use them with the "gasket" on bad days and without on good days. Have had lots of compliments on how they look. The online ordering form is a bit cryptic, but if you just call and talk to someone they'll hld your hand. I ended up just emailing them a scan of my prescription and had the glasses in five days later.

Good advice, as mentioned here by others, is to try on frames at a local Harley dealer. I rode my 10-speed to one on Northern Blvd in Queens a few mos ago and introduced myself to the salesperson at the sunglass counter: "Hey, I just parked my bike outside and was wondering if I could see your 7Eye's ..."

Comment

LOL RobLIC - your "bike" comment is hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                          X