This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nighttime dryness

For the past few months I have had a problem where my eyes get very dry while I sleep. My optometrist suggested using lubricating drops before I went to sleep, which didn't work. He then suggested the thicker gel drops, which also didn't work. He then said to use the nighttime ointment right before I go to sleep, but even with this I still wake up with dry eyes in the morning. There is the possibility that I sleep with my eyes slightly open, but taping them didn't really work, and my eyes feel open under sleeping masks. I also tried using swimming goggles, but they fall off while I sleep, so its hard to tell if they work.

I have slight dryness in my eyes during the day, but nothing i'm gonna complain about, but I feel like this severe nighttime dryness is related to red veins in my eyes that came when this all started, and they wont go away. The redness seems to improve a little as the day goes on, but then it gets inflamed again in the morning. Does anybody have any suggestions, information, or similar experiences with this type of problem?

Try wearing TranquilEyes goggles at night, or their other type of silicone goggles (Onyix). The silicone type really keeps the moisture in, even if you sleep with your eyes slightly open.

Gels really help, but you probably need to re-apply it in the middle of the night. I used Genteal gel before I go to bed, and then Dwelle drops during the night. Keep trying with the gels. Unless you are allergic to the ingredients, they should help---not totally---but somewhat. I don't advise using the ointments, especially since you are stable during the day. The greasiness is hard to clean off in the morning and can inhibit a natural tear layer.

You're fortunate that your eyes feel OK during the day. But keep working on the nighttime relief.
    Calli

Comment

RE: night protection

You could also try Glad Press 'n Seal. I love this stuff... it's kinder to my eyes/face than tape and it stays on even if I knock off my tranquileyes during the night (I use it under goggles/tranquileyes). I've become very diligent about covering my eyes properly at night because that's when my eyes get the driest too.

Good luck.
      Sheila

Comment

Thanks for the help. I ordered a pair of the quartz goggles, so hopefully they will work. Another question though, is it normal for the gels such as theratears to make your eyes feel dry when you put them in?

Comment

I don't know about Theratears. I use Genteal Gel.

I guess for me---I only put the gel in before I go to bed, so then I always have my eyes closed after I put in the gel. I am aware that the gel makes my eyes very uncomfortable if I try to keep them open.

For you--at what stage does the gel make your eyes feel dry?

Calli

Hope you like the quartz goggles!

Comment

Pretty much right when I put them it, it feels as though the upper part of my lid is dry. I don't know if its just some kind of normal discomfort, or if the gel doesn't work well with my eyes.. This same problem also happened with the refresh brand gel drops.

Comment

ryanross: I use the Theratears Liquidgel at night, and Theratears regular drops during the day - my eyes like this brand above all others. I think what you are talking about at nighttime when you put the gel in, the "feeling of dryness" is actually the heaviness of the gel when you close your eyes - I feel this too. Try putting in only the amount your eyes can handle closed. Keep the vial nearby and reapply if you wake up during the night. Discard in the morning.

Hope this helps. I knock off TE's, so I like to also use a small amount of press n seal with a soft sleep mask over it.

I too, get the red veins when I'm sleeping and they are terrible when I first wake up. I immediately wash my eyes with cool water, both to diminish the redness and also to get the crusties off from the liquid gel. This helps, and they go away a bit throughout the day, only to return after I sleep. Sounds like we have a lot in common.

I'm battling ocular allergies, and it gets really bad at night despite all measures to reduce dust mite/dust/mold in my room (which are my big allergies).

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X