This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User tip: What to do if tranquileyes feels too tight

Tranquileyes should always fit comfortably. It has a soft strap ("head wrap") that holds it in place. If tranquileyes feels uncomfortably tight or places too much pressure on the eyes, that means the strap is not adjusted properly or is too short.

Suggestions:

1) Try adjusting the strap to make it looser.

2) If even at maximum length it does not fit properly, let us know and we'll send a longer strap.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I've got the Tranquileye Goggles and have been using them for about a month at night, and I think they really help me. The problem is I have woken up numerous times to find them "missing", only to find them on my pillow or down the side of the bed! The only way to make them stay on is to tighten it, but then it feels uncomfortable and makes it difficult to sleep. When its comfortable its too loose and it just comes off.

Comment

I sleep on my back and have not personally had any problems with tranquileyes coming off but I can easily imagine that if I moved around much it would. As you said if the strap is pulled snug enough to ensure no movement, the pads would probably be putting more pressure on your eyes than you want. I am sorry, I wish I knew a solution for this. I think that the product was not originally designed to sleep in but because there is such a need for night time dry eye protection, it's become popular for that use.

I talked this over with the designer awhile back and one thought she had for people who have this issue was to take a larger wrap of some kind (think of a scarf sort of thing made of the same material as the current head wrap) and wrap it around the whole thing, maybe tie at the side or something.

Separately, another tip re ThermoEyes (which by the way I LOVE - boy does it feel luxurious, like a mini sauna on the eyes): If you move around when you're sleeping, or if you sleep on your side, you might want to use Thermoeyes in the evening before bed, then take it out and insert the regular pad before you go to sleep. The thermoeyes inserts stiffen up when they cool down and despite the thin thermopads on top of it, it can put more pressure on your eyes than is comfortable under certain circumstances. The first time I used it, I fell asleep with it on. I woke up with a sore left eye. Never quite figured it out but I think I must have slept on my left side part of the time and the cooled thermoeyes inserts must have pressed on my eye in a way that the regular tranquileyes foam inserts can't. Probably a fluke, hasn't happened to me since, but wanted to mention it just in case.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I have had issues with the Tranquil Eyes inserts putting pressure on my left eye. It must be because I sleep on my left side. After several days of waking with irritation and blurry vision, I removed the inserts. While I no longer have the benefit of added moisture, the goggles still do help with some of the night dryness. I'm wondering if there could be a thinner version of the inserts?
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

When I use the inserts they press against my eye, I too have also used the goggles without the moistened inserts and seem to be more comfortable. Sometimes I have taken the goggles off in the morning and seen "condensation" on the inside cups, which suggests to me that the goggles are effective in keeping moisture in. I too could do with thinner inserts (perhaps 1/2 the thickness).

Are the thin "thermopads" that come with thermoeyes actually thinner than the regular pads?

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
            I have had issues with the Tranquil Eyes inserts putting pressure on my left eye. It must be because I sleep on my left side. After several days of waking with irritation and blurry vision, I removed the inserts. While I no longer have the benefit of added moisture, the goggles still do help with some of the night dryness. I'm wondering if there could be a thinner version of the inserts?
            If you'll PM me your address I'll send you some Thermopads to try out. They're thinner (because they're meant to go over the Thermoeyes) and denser.

It's great to get this kind of feedback... You know, there's power in numbers and to the extent we get specific 'feature' requests I can always talk to the manufacturer about design modifications to meet our needs. Eye Eco in particular is a very very consumer-friendly company and I know they're listening carefully to feedback on this kind of thing.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Whoops, sorry NP, was posting at the same time, same answer I guess for both of you!
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks much. NP1981, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was hesitant to say anything. I'm glad I spoke up!
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have been using the Tranquileyes googles for sleep over the past couple of months with success. Out of interest, I decided to try sleeping last night without it - and boy were my eyes screwed this morning! Very red "muggy" eyes, extreemly dry. I don't think I'll ever be able to live without the goggles.

Comment

Funny, when I first got mine I thought 'gee how neat' but kind of secretly said to myself that - like other things I know would be good for me - it was too much hassle to bother with. However, it's been growing on me gradually and I am now in pretty much the same place as you: won't go to bed without it, because my eyes really do feel different based on whether I wear it!

There's a particularly bad FBS in my right eye that I always used to wake up with and never really managed to get under control. Since I've been using tranquileyes regularly and thermoeyes every few nights, I'm actually having mornings when I wake up with my right eye OK!

I have lived with a certain 'plateau' of dry eye for a long time - I could maintain things at a level I had decided to be content with by using the drops (Dwelle/Dakrina/NutraTear), warm compresses, saline rinses & supplements, and Panoptx outdoors, and that, frankly, was about as much as I was willing to bother with. But between tranquileyes/thermoeyes and the sclerals I'm trialling, I'm finding that I could be in better shape if I put some more effort into it. Takes a lot of patience and babying the eyes but I'm getting there. It's encouraging.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Tranquil Eyes

I managed to get hold of a pair of these little beauties here in the UK through a work colleague, however, it turns out that it would have been cheaper to order directly from the DEZ website with the conversion rate the way it is. I think I recall Rebecca saying that they do post these to the UK.

I think they are fantastic and I think they would be particularly good for those long haul flights (between the UK and Oz in my case).

I have noticed that my morning dryness and redness is better now after about 2 weeks or so - I still have a long way to go.

Rebecca said to me not to expect a wow factor but with a little patience I feel I am getting some results and I can assure you that I welcome any improvement regardless of how small it seems.

I would not be without them now - I just love my little fly eyes and would recommend them to anyone, but as we all know, what works for 1 person may not work for another.

Have a great day
                      Ian
                      Last edited by prattstar; 12-Jul-2006, 16:01.

Comment

Thinner Pads

Rebecca,

Thinner pads - is the offer open to us across the pond?

I am happy to pay for a set of thinner pads (and postage) if they are available.

I have been using them without the inserts for the past couple of weeks as I have just replaced the pads and find that they were putting too much pressure on my eyes.

Some mornings I woke and my eyes were pretty inflammed - who knows whether it was the pressure of the new pads or the fact that I tried a different pair of boxer shorts at the same time (think Lucy and socks).

I find that they are still effective without the pads but would be interested in trying the thinner ones.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanPratt
                          Thinner pads - is the offer open to us across the pond?
                          Sure thing. Sorry - wish I could do this complimentary but the intl. shipping is kind of a killer.

If you go into the dry eye shop (which incidentally just got a bit of a makeover) in the Tranquileyes category there is an item for Thermopad replacement sets. I've added an option to get just 2 sets (so you can try them out) for $2.50. When you complete the order it's going to show the standard UK shipping cost which is high, but when it's shipped the actual rate charged to your card will be lower (more like $5 or $6) because it can go in a GPM envelope. So should come out around $8.50 or so total.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,

Thanks for this, I just decided to place an order for a pack of 10 but withheld it at the last moment when the shipping came up at $13.00. I know that you will sort this out when it comes time for postage but I just thought I would check with you first.

This may sound like a dumb question but I assume that 10 = 10 sets (20 pads), and 2 = 2 sets (4 pads), sorry for being so thick.

Are the thin pads just the small insert that goes inside the goggles, and not like the standard replacement pads that include the eye cup as well.

Sorry again if this sounds strange, just thought that if I am placing an order I might as well get a few sets to make the postage worthwhile.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanPratt
                              I just decided to place an order for a pack of 10 but withheld it at the last moment when the shipping came up at $13.00. I know that you will sort this out when it comes time for postage but I just thought I would check with you first.
                              For orders $10 & under we'll manually adjust it down from the fixed-rate thing. Sorry about this - we're just not set up very well for international shipments at present as our shipping software is very complicated and we don't have all the weights set in the system for some of the new products. We'll eventually get it automated. For the moment things over a certain size and/or weight go at the flat rate, but something this small will be adjusted down. I think from memory the lowest rate we can get is something like $5.25.

I assume that 10 = 10 sets (20 pads), and 2 = 2 sets (4 pads),
                              Yes exactly.

Are the thin pads just the small insert that goes inside the goggles, and not like the standard replacement pads that include the eye cup as well.
                              That's correct - just the middle part. The thermopads are thinner than the other pads but quite dense and soft. In fact perhaps you could just get some kind of thin foam locally, cut it to shape, and try that (at least to test the concept?
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X