Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me with a product keeps my eyes closed at night?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me with a product keeps my eyes closed at night?

I'm not sure which product is the best for me

There's Onyix, tranquileyes and Dreamer sleep mask?
    And can i use tranquileyes dry? i just need my eyes closed.

Comment

I do not know that any of these actually keep the eye closed. Tranquileyes and onyix provide a moist environment so it does not matter if the eyes are opened slightly, as far as I know. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use tranquileyes dry. The onyix tends to fill with moisture, but if you need a dry environment the sponge on the tranquileyes might mop it up.

You can use tape to keep your eyes closed. I tried ordinary micropore but it would not stick because of the greasy lacrilube I use at night. Nurses tape eyes shut for operations with that.

If you email Rebecca she would have better information.

I hope you find something to help,

R.

Comment

Hi Haley,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with dry eyes after lasik. I understand that the eyes improve with time . . . I am hoping for that as well

I personally don't like the feel of the tape on the eyes . . . it also tends to remind me of my lasik experience, which I prefer not to be reminded of.

There are many people on the forum who actually use plastic wrap (saran wrap) to keep their eyes sealed at night. I have tried this as well and it works quite well. You can cut a small square of plastic and stretch it over your eye. I find this tends to keep the eye closed. To keep it in place you can use some of the micropore tape (sold here on DEZ), or you can dab vaseline onto the four outside corners. The vaseline seems to hold the plastic in place.

I have some concerns about BPAs from plastic being absorbed via the skin, so I don't use this system very often.

Also, some people find that using the tranquileyes with the foam inserts (dry or wet) provides enough pressure on the eye to keep the eyelid closed.

Experiment with a few options. Don't be afraid to adapt techniques to match your personal needs and comfort.

Hopeful2

Comment

Originally posted by Haley View Post
          There's Onyix, tranquileyes and Dreamer sleep mask?
          And can i use tranquileyes dry? i just need my eyes closed.
          Yes, you can use tranquileyes dry (I often do). I think that Tranquileyes is the best product overall for keeping lids closes (other than medical tape that is), however, it may need some tinkering to get it just right. You want it to be comfortable enough to sleep in, you don't want it to press hard on your lids as that may result in slight visual blur in the morning, but you want it to press hard enough to hold the lids down securely. For some people Tranquileyes will do this right 'out of the box' because the moisture pads which are about 3/4" foam place enough gentle pressure on the lids. For others though they may either have to trim that foam down to lighten the pressure, or bulk it up - either by slicing a moisture pad lengthwise and inserting half behind a regular pad to make it thicker, or using one of the little white pads available in the ship (or use makeup applicator foam trimmed to size) again right behind the regular moisture pad.

In my experience Tranquileyes is not a good solution for stomach sleepers, but for most side & back sleepers it can work fine.

Depending WHY you need your lids held down there may be other considerations. For example with Graves disease (eye bulging), if there is a really substantial opening for example after a botched eyelid surgery leaving lids too short, you would need to be cautious with Tranquileyes to make sure lids are held in place because there is some risk of abrading the cornea with the foam pad itself. But for small openings it usually works well.

For people who can't get goggles/masks to work well for them, other options include medical tape or bandage contacts. Also note that even if the lids are opening, sometimes a good moisture chamber over them is sufficient protection (not everyone can tolerate having the lids held down and still sleep).

Hope this helps... sorry I have not been very available on the board or otherwise lately, I've just been completely swamped trying to get settled into new digs. Moved the sheep Tuesday so at least we're finally all together Hoping to be back to normal next week and get caught up with blog/bulletin etc.

p.s. Glad press'n'seal works well for a lot of people. Sometimes simple things really are best.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
          X